Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What wild creature do you hate the most?  (Read 4649 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What wild creature do you hate the most?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 01:18:18 pm »

Giant Eagles.  Normally they're not so bad, but when one gets annoyed, you can say goodbye to any Dwarves on the surface.  They'd probably be a lot less annoying if crossbowdwarves knew how to use their weapons properly.

now make them aggressive, and change the biome tag to [NOT_FREEZING] and see how i feel.
i cant even remember where they are kept in the raws to mod them back :'(.

creature_large_mountain.

EDIT:
try and mod them into the same place as demons?

[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:20:35 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 01:40:44 pm »

Hmmm.. above ground it would have to be the maquacs and the buzzards. Below would be the naked mole dogs. I had one of those blighters sneak into my food stockpiles once and eat over 1500 units of food and booze. My fort starved because of one of those buggers!
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 04:27:41 pm »

Mandrills.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »

Vultures and buzzards.  You have a nice wall around your fortress and a nice modest mural under construction, then those damn birds swoop in, biting yer masons, and then get torn apart by dogs and fortress guards, spraying blood everywhere.

Now instead of a mural, you have a big red splotch.  Damn things are the reason I have marksmen patrolling the walls year round. (And they still get in)

Apparently, my Dwarves hate buzzards as much as I do. I remember one of my masons, deep within a cavern, was just minding his own business, standing around while the miners dug out a reservoir that was filling from an aquifer. Suddenly, a buzzard swooped in from outside and started bothering everybody and looking for things to steal. All the Dwarves backed away from the buzzard... except the mason. He had had enough. Out of nowhere, he sprang into action, grabbing the buzzard and hurling it into a rock wall. The buzzard EXPLODED against the wall, painting the reservoir red and filling the cavern with buzzard chunks. I still have no idea why my mason became so badass.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 05:48:36 pm »

Apparently, my Dwarves hate buzzards as much as I do. I remember one of my masons, deep within a cavern, was just minding his own business, standing around while the miners dug out a reservoir that was filling from an aquifer. Suddenly, a buzzard swooped in from outside and started bothering everybody and looking for things to steal. All the Dwarves backed away from the buzzard... except the mason. He had had enough. Out of nowhere, he sprang into action, grabbing the buzzard and hurling it into a rock wall. The buzzard EXPLODED against the wall, painting the reservoir red and filling the cavern with buzzard chunks. I still have no idea why my mason became so badass.

Woah.  I wish my dwarves would do this. Then I wouldn't get Urist McDwarf cancels X: Interrupted by Rabbit/Pheasant/Hoary Marmot Xover 9000
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 05:52:11 pm »

Resus Macaques, Batmen, Racoons, and bloody Pheasants from Dig Dwarfier.  I hate 'Urist McDude cancels everything, interrupted by Pheasant' messages.

It's a PHEASANT. What's it going to do, peck their bums?

Also, godamned motherfucking CARP, LAMPREYS, AND PIKE.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 05:52:36 pm »

Vultures and buzzards.  You have a nice wall around your fortress and a nice modest mural under construction, then those damn birds swoop in, biting yer masons, and then get torn apart by dogs and fortress guards, spraying blood everywhere.

Now instead of a mural, you have a big red splotch.  Damn things are the reason I have marksmen patrolling the walls year round. (And they still get in)

Maybe he gets angry easily? There has to be SOME use for that personality trait.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 05:59:56 pm »

Werewolves.  GODDAMNED WEREWOLVES.

They come out of nowhere, they're fast as hell, they kill one dwarf and then lead your military on a Benny Hill Chase scene around the map--early in the game, so my military is a woodcutter without his axe and the werewolf always, always, ALWAYS rips a sock off the corpse and uses it as a weapon, so it's a long protracted battle of everyone bruising/healing instantly (the healing factor is the second thing I hate about weres, after their speed) and civilians cancel-spamming as the slapfight goes back and forth across the map.

...Seriously.  Socks!  It's happened at least five times in various forts.

Buzzards and vultures are annoying, probably, but I've only embarked on one map that spawned them so far.  Lucky?

stupid zombie goats....like, of all things, it had to be goats....they got too close to my bridge lever, so i couldn't close it, then decided to run amuk inside my fort....they killed off everyone without even attacking, their prescence was enough to starve my dorfs to death

Zombie wildlife is annoying for a different reason:  it just doesn't quit and if you have cage traps, sooner or later you've got a giant stockpile of zombie deer and foxes.

Next time draft a few civilians vs. zombies--they're usually pushovers.  Bones galore!
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 06:16:35 pm »

Yetis. Every time I try to start an ice fortress, the stupid yetis walk in and scare my dwarves half to death, then destroy all my workshops. Even if I have a 1-tile-wide entrance to my fort, the stupid yetis STILL find their way in.

Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 11:30:52 pm »

It took 3 pages for carp to be mentioned...

Shame on you all...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 11:42:39 pm »

Carp aren't as dangerous anymore though

A) more players have become more wary of rivers

B) There was a change in the code to make non aggressive wildlife seem less threatening to dwarves, causing the military (and the odd likes slaughter peasant) to be less likely to charge the fish and end up in the water.

and C) The new materiel system seriously nerfed carp bites.

Sure somebody attacked by a carp can still end up dodging into the water and drowning, but that's less likely now.  And a few camel kicks or beaked bites is more likely to be lethal than the chance of one carp attack causing a dodge, and that dodge having only a 3/8 chance of landing in water.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:47:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 11:45:29 pm »

Carp aren't as dangerous anymore though

A) more players have become more wary of rivers

B) There was a change in the code to make non aggressive wildlife seem less threatening to dwarves, causing the military (and the odd likes slaughter peasant) from charging the fish and ending up in the water.

and C) The new materiel system seriously nerfed carp bites.
still iconic...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 01:21:40 am »

It took 3 pages for carp to be mentioned...

Shame on you all...

If it's any consolation, for me it's still page one.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 03:36:12 am »

Oh mighty Armok what have I unleaaaashed?!

Fire imps.  Unicorns.  Giant Cave Spiders.

Clearly I must have entered a strange mood, because I don't remember the reason I had for making them all breed so goddamned much!
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 08:39:55 am »

My last fort I watched an Ogre grab my axedwarf by the left rear molar and punch his skull through his brain.  He then proceded to hunt down and clobberize the remaining 6 dorfs.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5