Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Walls; What I've learned so far and questions.  (Read 924 times)

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Walls; What I've learned so far and questions.
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:50:45 pm »

All of this information was obtained by modifying the file Phoebus_16x16_Meld.png, from Phoebus' most recent complete graphics pack. I made my own version of each of the wall tiles and then put a black dot in three of the corners of the L shapes to determine the inner workings of those tiles by trial and error.

Info on the number of different wall tiles...
Essentially there are 20 different tiles devoted to walls. Out of that, 12 are the L shaped walls, 3 of each type, differing based on their connection to either another wall or to rock. The next most numerous is the three way split, of which there are 4, based on the direction of the connections and only occurs when three of the four N S E W directions are connected to another wall. There are N/S and E/W connectors, pillars, and four way (doubles as fortification) tiles. If a wall is connected to another wall (and no natural rock) in only one direction it is drawn as a pillar (pillars are end pieces and stand alone tiles).

Wall tiles take on the color of the stone they are dug in to or built out of. To my knowledge they only use one color, and the background color is black, unless it is engraved then it becomes something whiter.

Q 1: Is there a way to determine what tile is drawn based on the connections in the raw files? If not, is there any other way? It seems like a waste to have so many tiles taken up by the L shaped pieces.

Q 2: Are engravings just a recoloring of wall tiles (the background color) by default? Or are they handled in some more intricate way? If it has much to do with the raw files I may just have to dive in to that tomorrow.

Q 3: Anything else I should know about walls in particular?

I've learned a lot through the editing that I've done today.. Put in a good 4 solid hours at least just fooling with things and I have some product as well (still not finished).

Here's a pic of what I've managed to do.

Walls with dotted lines parallel are engraved. I also redid the staircase up.

Thanks everyone for the help that you've given me. I really appreciate it, and will continue working on my tiles thanks to you all.

Cheers!
Graham

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Walls; What I've learned so far and questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:58:37 pm »

Welll, I don't know much about graphics modding, but when you engrave a wall, the foreground (engraving image) becomes the color of the material (but always the bright version of the color. Or maybe it was dark, and floors were light. Can't remember), and the background becomes light grey.

I always have engraving images turned on (so I can see what kind of engraving it is from the normal fort view), I don't know what the walls look like with that turned off (or what that would look like with a graphics mod).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:01:18 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:06:51 am »

Q 1: Is there a way to determine what tile is drawn based on the connections in the raw files? If not, is there any other way? It seems like a waste to have so many tiles taken up by the L shaped pieces.

Q 2: Are engravings just a recoloring of wall tiles (the background color) by default? Or are they handled in some more intricate way? If it has much to do with the raw files I may just have to dive in to that tomorrow.

Q 3: Anything else I should know about walls in particular?

1: All we can do is modify the graphics at the moment but more advanced things are in the pipeline.

2: Same tile but background switches from black to white when they are engraved.

3: Some of the wall tiles are used for the transition between rough and smoothed.

Nice masonry :D

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:36:36 am »

Thanks for the answers, and thanks again for everything. Just got up, going to get coffee and b-fast then I have a list of other edits to do. Maybe I'll start a thread for my own modded tile set file and post all changes there... Who knows!

Also I forgot to mention that half of the inspiration for the wall tiles (and the smooth floor tile entirely) are from the Gold Plated graphics pack, have to give him/her credit. So it's a direct combination of Phoebus engravings and Gold Plated masonry (made it a heck of a lot more 2d, however).