Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's wrong with this Dwarf?  (Read 820 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's wrong with this Dwarf?
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:43:19 pm »

So a Goblin Archer shot one of my Dwarves several times. However, the Dwarf was on a cliff inside my fortress so he was able to crawl into safety easily. He then fell unconscious right at entrance to my fort. This happened a season ago. He hasn't moved since then, and might as well be dead. In fact, I'm not sure about how he is even still alive. He hasn't eaten or drank since he received the injury. He's just been lying in front of the fort.

I was wondering why nobody bothered to take him to the hospital. But it seems like he keeps trying to bring himself to the hospital, despite being unconscious. I've come to this conclusion because I've been bombarded with this message constantly;

There isn't a Goblin Swordsman anywhere near him. I can't figure out why he would be freaked out by an imaginary swordsman, especially when he is unconscious. Point is, he's gotten to be rather annoying. So is there anyway to save this guy, and if so how? If not, any ideas about how to get rid of him without injuring the other Dwarves that walk by him on a regular basis?

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with this Dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:47:40 pm »

It's a known (and surprisingly common) bug.

I think someone worked around this by injuring him again?

I can't find the thread, how frustrating.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:31:50 pm »

Do you have the Goblin Swordsman that injured him trapped in a cage? Disarm it, let it out and kill it. That should fix the problem.
Never pet a burning dog.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:34:22 pm »

Causing unconsciousness through a nearby cavein might fix it. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:40:34 pm »

Do you have the Goblin Swordsman that injured him trapped in a cage? Disarm it, let it out and kill it. That should fix the problem.

Nope. However he did leave the map, which caused the Dwarf to suddenly snap out of his psychotic nightmare and drag himself up to the hospital.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Dadou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 11:11:17 pm »

I think magma is the only way out !
No magma, no Fun.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 11:33:46 pm »

I have TWO Dwarves like this. As a result, the bottom of the screen is constantly strobing bright red messages at me. I've tried shooting them in the face with ballista bolts (it didn't work, but I'd recommend trying it anyway) and chaining a goblin next to them. The goblin didn't even attack them! Like Dadou said, magma fixes everything.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 07:33:03 am »

I seem to remember that placing vertical bars under them also worked.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 07:53:53 am »

Nope. However he did leave the map, which caused the Dwarf to suddenly snap out of his psychotic nightmare and drag himself up to the hospital.

That works, too. The key seems to be that as long as the attacker is both alive and on-map... even if he's a already prisoner... your Dwarf will have nightmares.
Never pet a burning dog.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:50:34 am »

I'm pretty sure that Dwarves get these "nightmares" even when the goblin has fled the map.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 02:58:24 pm »

This annoying thing happened to me also,i couldnt get rid of the caged colossus and he spammed and spammed complaints,fortunately a passing raccon chewed his nose and ear off and he shut up.