Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: fish corpse  (Read 3313 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fish corpse
« on: August 15, 2010, 03:56:34 pm »

Well i tought about something with dangerous fish, i managed to build a river *lock*? with a system to purge dthe water keeping all these carp inside and kill them by removing the water, the problem is the corpse stay there and i cant butcher/prepare fish?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: fish corpse
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 04:10:48 pm »

I'm sorry, what? I couldn't make my way through your fail at grammar and epic fail at spelling. It really pains me when I see posts like this. I like to think of this forum as one of the few safe havens from l33t-speak and IM language, and illiterate people in general. You wouldn't write like that at work and/or school, so what makes you think the internets are any better? Jesus, I wonder about the human race sometimes. Get your head out of your ass before you ask for help. Damn.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:14:23 pm »

I'm sorry, what? I couldn't make my way through your fail at grammar and epic fail at spelling. It really pains me when I see posts like this. I like to think of this forum as one of the few safe havens from l33t-speak and IM language, and illiterate people in general. You wouldn't write like that at work and/or school, so what makes you think the internets are any better? Jesus, I wonder about the human race sometimes. Get your head out of your ass before you ask for help. Damn.

As much as I enjoy ragging on poor spelling and generally fail posts, it could possibly just be that English isn't his first language.

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 04:44:53 pm »

Since you couldn't figure it out yourself, let me help you.

He built a system in a river to trap dangerous carp, then remove the water and airdrown them. He's wondering why he can't use the corpses as a food source.

I can understand disliking a post due to it having poor spelling or grammar, but there's no need to throw a fit about it and insult someone.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 04:47:03 pm »

Well i tought about something with dangerous fish, i managed to build a river *lock*? with a system to purge dthe water keeping all these carp inside and kill them by removing the water, the problem is the corpse stay there and i cant butcher/prepare fish?

I don't think that you can butcher animals that haven't been killed by a hunter, but I'm not sure.

I like to think of this forum as one of the few places where people are nice to each other. If you can't understand what jocan2003's written you could always just ask for clarification. There is no need to throw a tantrum over spelling.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 04:57:30 pm »

Dude, let go of that floodgate, and please don't punch anything.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 05:03:23 pm »

I don't think that you can butcher animals that haven't been killed by a hunter, but I'm not sure.

I like to think of this forum as one of the few places where people are nice to each other. If you can't understand what jocan2003's written you could always just ask for clarification. There is no need to throw a tantrum over spelling.

Exactly. It wasn't really even that hard to understand the original poster. Let's keep things civil.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:09:31 pm »

On-topic:

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to butcher the carp. I'm not sure but I am fairly certain I could butcher carp in 40d.. i assume you've tried using the fishery workshop and enabling all fishing/butchering jobs?

tantrum

Go :D yourself.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 07:19:47 pm »

Wild animals which die from any cause can be butchered.  Tame animals can only be butchered after being deliberately slaughtered by a dwarf at a butcher's shop, but it should not matter how a wild animal died as far as being able to butcher it is concerned.  However, the wild animal needs to be in a refuse pile near the butcher's shop before you can butcher it.  You need to have a butcher's shop with a refuse pile near it, and if the carp is outside you need to turn on the order that lets dwarves gather refuse from outside.  Wait for a dwarf to haul the carp corpse to the refuse pile.  The butcher's shop should automatically trigger a job to butcher the corpse at that point.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 07:40:48 pm »

Well i had them sitting on the river bed for a while, and you were right, english isnt my first-language im trying to learn more as time goes. Explaining something is something i really have hard time, thank to all of those who tried to help me. And for the first reply i got, your right me too im sad to see how the human are evolving, instead of understanding and helping they bash and flee oh well....

Ill re-try that later i had a crash not long after i posted.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 08:37:29 pm »

Ok, I admit I was a tad bit too harsh, but nevertheless, your punctuation and capitalization could use some work. However, that is no reason to repeat what had been said four or five times already. Also, you already had the moral high ground. Trying to go higher made (to me, before everyone complains) you seem like an  :Dhole.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 08:41:07 pm »

C'mon yo's just squash it an move on, both of you. Just consider it over.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 08:42:26 pm »

Join the Fish Corps; learn to swim in cadence, and how to drag unsuspecting land life to the depths below. See your recruiter today.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:07 pm »

Join the Fish Corps; learn to swim in cadence, and how to drag unsuspecting land life to the depths below. See your recruiter today.

Thank you sir! May I have another!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:11:42 am »

You can indeed butcher fish that have been airdrowned; I had a cliffside fort with a waterfall that had a spit of land down below it. Carp often fell down the waterfall and landed on the ledge rather than falling into the lake below. I also mined their corpses out of the ice during the winter. Either way, they could be butchered and they're actually a fairly nice source of meat.

Are you sure that your dwarves have access to the corpses? Try carving some ramps out of the riverbanks nearby and see if your dwarves go get them. Don't forget that they need a place to carry them to (a butcher shop or refuse pile) before they'll go and collect the corpse. The other answer is that your dwarves aren't set to collect outside refuse, which is what dead animals fall under. If your hunter killed something and dropped it for whatever reason [Urist Deerhunter cancels Return Kill: interrupted by MAO DIDI MAO], another dwarf will go pick that corpse up and take it to the butcher shop/refuse pile. They'll ignore other corpses though unless told to collect them through the Orders Screen.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:15:29 am by Ubiq »
Pages: [1] 2