Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ZeniMax Media gets even bigger.  (Read 1735 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
ZeniMax Media gets even bigger.
« on: August 15, 2010, 05:28:06 am »

http://www.gamespot.com/events/quakecon2010/story.html?sid=6273304

The owner of id, Bethesda and Splash Damage has now acquired Arkane Studios, makers of Arx Fatalis.  Normally I'd consider it a bad thing when a dev gets bought out but I thought they had already been bought buy Ubisoft and made Arx Fatalis 2 into Dark Messiah of Might and Magic so I'm actually kind of confused.

I actually didn't know they owned id either...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:46:28 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ZeniMax Media gets even bigger.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:32:49 am »

And as an unfortunate result, id isnt going to release id engine 5 to anyone outside of ZeniMax. Which is strange for them, since they tend to release their tech, and even source. Its also retarded since it took them like 500 years to write that damn engine.

I hate when companies get bought out by mega corps, the companies within tend to start going batshit bonkers. Just look at Blizzard after they got bought out by Activision.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:22:05 am »

I don't have a problem with ZeniMax. Though I do hate that they aren't going to license out the Id tech 5 engine.

However, I think that in the end, it will hurt them financially, and they will perhaps over change that decision after a year or two.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:16:46 pm »

I don't have a problem with ZeniMax. Though I do hate that they aren't going to license out the Id tech 5 engine.

However, I think that in the end, it will hurt them financially, and they will perhaps over change that decision after a year or two.

I have a problem with all gigantic corporations.  I guess I'm kind of the anti-Cthulhu in a way. :p

These entities' sole purpose in existence is to make more money than they were making previously.  So called "Corporate Ethics" (and there is such a thing) basically amounts to; The faster and more an action increases profit without breaking the law, the more ethical it is.  A corporation isn't just a group of people working towards a common goal.  It's a living thing all on it's own that can shrug off even decapitation.  The bigger it gets the bigger it can get.  Oh yeah, and in the US they literally have all the rights of individual human beings, plus the right to donate unlimited funds to political campaigns.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 08:22:03 pm »

Just lock the thread now so spare us the giant flame war.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 08:25:12 pm »

Well yes, people do tend to flame when they can't think of anything meaningful to say.  Still, I choose to be optimistic and believe that the worst that will happen is both sides giving their arguments, then one side will ignore most of the points made by the other side repeatedly until the other side gives up in frustration.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:29:31 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 09:01:47 pm »

No, you're starting a thread with the intent to start a debate about something not at all related to Other Games. I'm telling you to lock this thread and take it to where it's supposed to go, General Discussion.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:33:01 pm »

A company that publishes games and has bought out multiple game developers is not in any way related to games? ???

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 10:13:49 pm »

So, What you are saying is: Arkane studios doesn't care about making money, they care about making games, and ZeniMax, now that they own them, doesn't care about making games, and cares about making money.

Any sized business seeks to make money. That doesn't make them inherently evil. Also, ZeniMax isn't even that big. But even you as an individual are seeking to gain money, to further your own life.

Also, Considering the fact that neither Id software or Splash Damage have had a game out since they were acquired, you can't even say that because of ZeniMax, the quality of their games has been diminished.

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 10:29:21 pm »

Right, because there's no middle ground.  The only possible methods for a company to be run are without any concern for profit, or with exclusive concern for profit... ::)

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 12:49:53 am »

Right, because there's no middle ground.  The only possible methods for a company to be run are without any concern for profit, or with exclusive concern for profit... ::)

Well most corporations have investors and stockholders who want profit. The way they accomplish it doesn't matter as much (unless it is illegal of course).

NUUUU I'm not helping here. QUICK! lock this!

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 01:06:12 am »

These entities' sole purpose in existence is to make more money than they were making previously.  So called "Corporate Ethics" (and there is such a thing) basically amounts to; The faster and more an action increases profit without breaking the law, the more ethical it is.  ...

The critical determination is not lawfulness but the cost associated with breaking the law.  Major corps, as a matter of course, break the law if the benefit from doing so is greater than the cost IF they get caught and IF they get prosecuted and IF they get convicted and IF they fail to win on appeal.  If the upside is greater there is no depth to which a corp will not sink, no perversion it will not embrace, no evil it will not do in its adoration of Mammon.  Such is its nature.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:12:11 am by yamo »
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 01:12:32 am »

i just like to play game, i play them if i like them. I couldnt care less about who owns what, i dont pay attention. I have never even heard of ZeniMax!

I dont watch sports either. I also dont care what Brittany Spears is doing, which this conversation reminds of.  ;D
I got nothing

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 01:29:47 am »

The difference here is that if you don't care about Brittany Spears then ignoring her probably won't affect you.  But if you like video games then what the people who are responsible for making them do will affect you.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:33:37 am »

wow that pretty emotional. I got other things to do.
I got nothing
Pages: [1] 2