Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Requesting traders to bring higher quality goods at high cost  (Read 1254 times)

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Requesting traders to bring higher quality goods at high cost
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:39:45 pm »

Hey all, I just read about one of many forts that make enough food to buy out any caravan.. and really has no use for all the stuff. What if you could ask the caravan diplomats to bring higher quality goods next time, at about 5x the cost per quality level? It'd be one easy source of masterwork armor and weaponry and other varied goodies, but if you want to get mostly masterwork quality you'd have to kick it up four notches... which would mean you pay 5 x 5 x 5 x 5 = 625 times the original price. And some of us can afford that. And we'd have something interesting to buy again, if our smiths haven't mooded yet or simply won't ever do so.

Sounds like a fun idea to me. It's not like masterwork stuff is hard to come by anyway.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting traders to bring higher quality goods at high cost
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 06:06:31 pm »

You could always request more expensive items from the dwarves. The further to the right you crank the request bar, the more expensive the item will be.

In my LotR mod, dwarves can't grow food at all. Maybe give it a try?
shameless self-plug
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:06:53 am »

slaughterhouse ho!

well, I do know many mature fortresses request and purchase large amounts of metal crafts for metals they can't usually get.  Especially if you have no flux.  I think really the idea is that you make the traders ridiculously wealthy by basically exporting stuff, because that gives you more moods and figures into a few game calculations.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:03:46 pm »

Being able to sell some loaves of bread for 20 grand doesn't really strike me as something we should build game mechanics on.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:06:59 pm »

Well we should definitly have some kind of system that balances trade.
There are a few ways this could be done.
1: Make traders demand more profit it's weird that they are willing to risk their lives for a single craft (40 is within the profit a trader is willing to trade for if you have a good broker).
2 Reduce quility modifiers currently 12 times as expensive is a LOT combined with the fact that you can usually give your best workers the best materials and the fact that they also work a lot faster causes good workers to be able to make huge profits an alternative might be to add a scale which determines how much time a worker is willing to work on an object to make shure those masterworks are really deserved (not something a legendary worker spit on and then it was suddenly a masterwork).
3 Traders carrying more goods if they were sold out completly last time.
4 Stronger requist options perhaps with we pay now you deliver next year systems where you give traders their goods now and next year they will come with the specified goods.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 06:39:40 pm »

It's not just food, Pilsu. You can also easily make lots of money making other things, as long as your dorves are skilled. Gem setters, gem cutters, all metal industry folk, cooks and hunters all bring in lots of valuable things for little time and money, when skilled.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:10:21 pm »

Honestly I think the request screen you get from your dwarves would work just as well with other traders too; I mean, you have no authority or anything, you just say "you know if you brought food I'd pay, like, double. Starving here." - Maybe the trader's happyness with you would also factor into requests?

Hey, mister elf. Dra-gon. Dragon. I don't care if it costs me half my fortress, bring one and I will buy it.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 04:12:20 am »

Hey, mister elf. Dra-gon. Dragon. I don't care if it costs me half my fortress, bring one and I will buy it.
Bring two and I will GIVE you my fortress and just start a new one!

(Yes, I want dragons that much. Let the last one slip away by savescumming.. doh.. but hey, I have a hydra now.)