Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Better defense against Marksmen and Archers  (Read 2123 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better defense against Marksmen and Archers
« on: August 14, 2010, 10:47:09 am »

So my five best legendary fighters were slaughtered by goblin crossbowmen. One was elite. My guys had bronze mostly full armour one, but nothing on underneath. They also had bronze battle axes and featherwood shields. Most of the armour would have been of very high quality. The one with three horizontal lines.

Iron and copper arrows and bolts killed them swiftly. Only six or seven goblins. and I sent out ten or so good fighters.

So, would silk offer more protection against arrows, as legend tells us it ought ? Would war dogs have distracted the marksmen ? My tactics definately left something to be desired, and I'm willing to listen. My guys are not really very good in shield use or armour use and they are proficient dodgers. I'm sure that different training would address this, but i'm a little niave about training.

(on the plus side, my hospital is now working a treat. :) )
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better defense against Marksmen and Archers
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:56:38 am »

Better shield material and, more importantly, better shield skill would have made a difference. However, what's probably the best piece of advice would be asking the question: Why did you charge your melee dwarves at the ranged enemies? Why not have the dwarves hide behind a wall or something similar until the archers were just around the corner, then storm them?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:02:11 am »

The best way to beat marksmen is to get them into melee combat, but to do this you need either very good shield use or you need to deplete their ammo using diversion targets.

The first one requires a strong shield and the knowledge of how to use it, but the second one is a little more complex. My suggestion for the second would be to have a small bunker with fortifications all along one wall with some animals or civilians or whatever withing sight to make their marksmen waste ammunition on the diversion instead of your soldiers.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:27:07 am »

The best defense against ranged weapons is indeed close quarters.  And no better way exists to get that than to build an entry hall to your fort that twists and turns backwards on itself and has very short stretches between corners.  To make your life even easier, build traps on the inside corners of each curve (cage ones if you're feeling especially cruel), and watch as the sieges and ambushes turn into a gauntlet of laughs instead of a slaughterfest for your Dwarves.
Sanity is for the weak.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 01:05:01 pm »

I've found a short hallway with a checkerboard pattern of pilliars is quite effective against ranged greenskins.

The defenses work quite effectively.  Only 3 military fatalities in 6 years, and I have all my military using two handed weapons instead of shields.  The design seems quite effective against both marksgoblins, and at keeping your military at their station instead of running off to pursue targets.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 01:23:01 pm »

You also appear to be using dragons, which is somewhat detrimental to the weight of your claim, "3 military fatalities in 6 years".
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 01:28:25 pm »

[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 01:32:12 pm »

Well, yea.  But they are human size, none of that silly firebreath, and the invaders include larger, stronger Orcs as well as goblins.  My Dracon aren't significantly more combat effective than your typical dwarf.  While the opposition includes both goblins and "significantly more combat effective" goblins.  Often both picking the same season to siege bumping the maximum siege population up to 160 invaders at once.

So yea, I tried my darndest to keep that balanced.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 01:50:12 pm »

Thanks for the advice folks, I shall definately take some of it on board. I'm just going to repeat a few questions. Does silk offer good protection against arrows and bolts, as in real life ??

And how do you help the dwarves train up the dodging skills and shield use ?? Is there a thread that explains more advance combat training anywhere ?

And I read somewhere that all shields protect the same no matter what the material that they are made out of. Is that incorrect ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

KhazâdAimênu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 02:47:08 pm »

I've been pretty successful with that checkerboard pattern myself, but I like to make it out of floodgates so that I can retract my archer screen when it isn't needed.

terminal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 07:46:48 pm »

And how do you help the dwarves train up the dodging skills and shield use ?? Is there a thread that explains more advance combat training anywhere ?

I build a 4x4 room and fill it with upright weapon traps [b-T-S], loading each with three wooden training spears.  Leave one square untrapped and put a weapon rack in it.  Then hook up each spear to a lever (one lever for all traps).  When they are all connected to the lever, set it to be pulled repeatedly.  Create a barracks around the weapon rack and have your dwarves train in the traproom.  They will quickly gain shield, armor, dodge, fighter, and weapon skill.  Might be considered an exploit.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 10:20:57 pm »

I build a 4x4 room and fill it with upright weapon traps [b-T-S], loading each with three wooden training spears.  Leave one square untrapped and put a weapon rack in it.  Then hook up each spear to a lever (one lever for all traps).  When they are all connected to the lever, set it to be pulled repeatedly.  Create a barracks around the weapon rack and have your dwarves train in the traproom.  They will quickly gain shield, armor, dodge, fighter, and weapon skill.  Might be considered an exploit.

Doesn't seem like an exploit to me, any more than using archery targets or training dummies (when training dummies are added). You've just created an automated "danger room" with training dummies that fight back.

Hm. Rigging up the dining hall with these things to give civilians some extra combat training might be considered more of an exploit. :)

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 10:43:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure putting them in the dining hall would do more for your doctors than your civilians.

On the plus side, no pets.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 02:39:25 am »

I'm pretty sure putting them in the dining hall would do more for your doctors than your civilians.

On the plus side, no pets.

Seems like it's all plus side, really. My doctors tend to get rusty between sieges.

Oh! It's also the perfect way to break up an unproductive party! :)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 03:20:21 am »

On the plus side, no petschildren.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: [1] 2