Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Better defense against Marksmen and Archers  (Read 2127 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better defense against Marksmen and Archers
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 09:37:26 am »

Oh! It's also the perfect way to break up an unproductive party! :)
:o
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 12:51:50 pm »

And how do you help the dwarves train up the dodging skills and shield use ?? Is there a thread that explains more advance combat training anywhere ?

I build a 4x4 room and fill it with upright weapon traps [b-T-S], loading each with three wooden training spears.  Leave one square untrapped and put a weapon rack in it.  Then hook up each spear to a lever (one lever for all traps).  When they are all connected to the lever, set it to be pulled repeatedly.  Create a barracks around the weapon rack and have your dwarves train in the traproom.  They will quickly gain shield, armor, dodge, fighter, and weapon skill.  Might be considered an exploit.

A great idea. Thanks for that. would pressure plates work instead of levers ? That way, the device would power itself.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 01:04:47 pm »

If you have an endless source of water it's pretty straightforward to build a simple repeater, with a floodgate to turn it off and on as needed. Probably good to be able to shut down the spears to allow your doctors to retrieve their practice materialpatients.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 08:19:35 am »

I finally got my spikey spear training room of hell working. And boy does it work. Actually fighting skill and shield use go up so rapidly that it can only be seen as an exploit. Up to legendary in three months or so. But the reason that I am posting is because of the added benefit that I discovered too. It kills your superfluous (i.e all) cats and kittens. A useful thing to know if you have a plague of them.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 01:10:23 pm »

I got a mild tantrum spiralette due to military dwarfmums training with their babies and getting them carelessly impaled: excercise caution!
Otherwise, great idea!

BTW, I made it triggered by a pressure plate placed in the dining hall: to turn it off I had to evacuate the hall (deconstructing would have been undwarvenly)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 02:32:38 pm »

The best way to close with ranged enemies is to fall on them from 20+ Z-levels above.

Don't know if it works in 2010, but in the earlier versions I was able to drop a dwarf on a pit with 2 cats.  The dwarf and cats were fine, and many enemies were smashed/stunned by the rubble of his drop pod.

>_>

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 02:36:11 pm »

Don't know if it works in 2010, but in the earlier versions I was able to drop a dwarf on a pit with 2 cats.  The dwarf and cats were fine, and many enemies were smashed/stunned by the rubble of his drop pod.

>_>
"Warhammer 40d" Space Militadwarves, anyone? Do want.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 03:58:36 pm »

>_>
"Warhammer 40d" Space Militadwarves, anyone? Do want.

I think instead of floorgrates you can still use Hatch covers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the next image "Grate can go infront of door" refers to how the dropdorf enters the pod.  A retractable grate or bridge gives the dwarf access to the pod even though it is only connected to the rest of the fort via support

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made a 'drop pod' but as I suspected the whole thing becomes dust and falling (sometimes crushing) objects.  Good news: with a grate (or hatch cover) under your dropdorf he still lands on a the cat pit unharmed and ready for battle.  If you can make it so doors are dwarf but not pet passable then he's ready for battle instantly!

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 04:00:14 pm »

I must note however that using a Hatch does not work.  Even if the hatch is open I experienced Sudden Dead Dwarf Syndrome.

Using a retractable bridge above the cat pit yielded perfect results, however.
Pages: 1 [2]