Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: And now an Ogre became mayor of my fortress...  (Read 9319 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: And now an Ogre became mayor of my fortress...
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 01:43:47 pm »

(This also leads to all your dogs being legendary in all the social skills, as well as having random cats walk onto the map as the pet of migrants with something like "master weaver" as a skill, and sometimes having those labors enabled.)

Holy fuck I have to do this now.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 02:53:27 pm »

I would be delighted, if my people some time in the future vote for someone to become baron and mayor ogre gets picked.

A royal dwarfen fortress, led by an ogre.

Oh, and he didn't make any mandates yet. He seems to be happy with watching everybody walking around, being the chained tamed ogre that he is, standing at my front door.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 03:23:06 pm »

I guess your dwarves are as tired of mandates as you are. :P Hey, let's elect that guy, he won't make us do anything!

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 03:42:30 pm »

The ogre probably just wanted to be in charge. I mean, who is gonna' want to be the one to tell him he can't be mayor?  :P

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 03:52:55 pm »

Oh, and he didn't make any mandates yet. He seems to be happy with watching everybody walking around, being the chained tamed ogre that he is, standing at my front door.

Ogre: Gruug see dorfs walk! Dorfs do stuff! Gruug happy! *handclaps*
Urist McDwarf: That's the best f*ckin Mayor I've ever seen!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 04:18:48 pm »

In a 40d fortress running the Dig Deeper mod, I had an Ancient Vampire (Dig Deeper megabeast) who was also the ruler of a goblin civilization show up at my fortress one day.  She was Friendly and just hung out not doing much.  I used Dwarf Companion to change her to be a member of my civilization.  She still didn't work, just hung out at the meeting room.

The next year she was elected mayor.  Her reign lasted over a decade, and she was the best mayor that fortress ever had.  Never mandated anything, never got upset, and only ever once demanded something:  a cabinet in her bedroom.  And the best part was that I could still assign her to a chain or cage if I wanted to.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 05:01:29 pm »

Since the ogre is tame, can you butcher them?

Easiest way to deal with a mandate ever:  Here you go Mr. Mayor, we've got you silver bucklers here in the butcher shop.   :D

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 05:48:34 pm »

Sounds like a case of Cacame again, but (naturally) somewhat less awesome. Go catch a dragon for your mayor to fight.
くコ:彡

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 09:45:44 pm »

(This also leads to all your dogs being legendary in all the social skills, as well as having random cats walk onto the map as the pet of migrants with something like "master weaver" as a skill, and sometimes having those labors enabled.)

Holy fuck I have to do this now.

In my early modding to test the limits of 2010, I actually modded in a "pet" caste of dwarves that were not intelligent or even had [CAN_LEARN].  I gave him some mining skill in the embark screen, and even though he was considered a pet, and didn't have any skills, and his labor menu was the same as a pet's, where it said "this animal can't work", and he still picked up a pick and mined (but at the lowest possible skill rating, so he was very slow).

Basically, the way it seems to work is that animals are just like nobles - they can do all the work dwarves can do, it's just that their labor screen is locked, so you can't access it in-game.  That means that if, for some reason, any labor is enabled (like by having ranks in that skill when generated in a migration wave), like the Dungeon Master does, they'll have those labors permanently enabled.  (But something like DFHack can access labors, so you can mess with labors through a backdoor.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 09:49:55 pm »

I guess your dwarves are as tired of mandates as you are. :P Hey, let's elect that guy, he won't make us do anything!

Its funny because its historically accurate.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 11:34:06 pm »

I told you the Ogre lobby has too much political power.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 12:12:55 am »

Easiest way to deal with a mandate ever:  Here you go Mr. Mayor, we've got you silver bucklers here in the butcher shop.   :D
Actually yes, I could butcher my mayor if I wanted to.

Wouldn't that be the most heroic mayor ever, if he mandates himself to be butchered in hard times, so the people can be fed?

Oh, and my ogres started to breed. Already 2 baby ogres running around...

In my early modding to test the limits of 2010, I actually modded in a "pet" caste of dwarves that were not intelligent or even had [CAN_LEARN].  I gave him some mining skill in the embark screen, and even though he was considered a pet, and didn't have any skills, and his labor menu was the same as a pet's, where it said "this animal can't work", and he still picked up a pick and mined (but at the lowest possible skill rating, so he was very slow).

Basically, the way it seems to work is that animals are just like nobles - they can do all the work dwarves can do, it's just that their labor screen is locked, so you can't access it in-game.  That means that if, for some reason, any labor is enabled (like by having ranks in that skill when generated in a migration wave), like the Dungeon Master does, they'll have those labors permanently enabled.  (But something like DFHack can access labors, so you can mess with labors through a backdoor.)
How about modding in pet-moles, that have the mining labor enabled? Then start with like 20 of them and ONLY rely on them to dig for you.

Or just let do pets everything O_O
The BBC Wildlife fortress!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 03:24:02 am »

Actually yes, I could butcher my mayor if I wanted to.

Wouldn't that be the most heroic mayor ever, if he mandates himself to be butchered in hard times, so the people can be fed?

Oh, and my ogres started to breed. Already 2 baby ogres running around...

How about modding in pet-moles, that have the mining labor enabled? Then start with like 20 of them and ONLY rely on them to dig for you.

Or just let do pets everything O_O
The BBC Wildlife fortress!

You can only enable the labors on the embark screen without memory hacking with a utility, unfortunately.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 07:29:46 pm »

Hey I have an idea.

Torture one of your dwarves. Draft him, put him in a closed room and throw something rotten in so he is forced to choke on miasma. cause a small cavein so he has to shoke on dust (be careful the caveins are very potent and might kill him, even if it barely nudged!) and generally do everything you can to make him miserable.

See what happens when he goes to the mayor to complain.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 08:02:58 pm »

Hey I have an idea.

Torture one of your dwarves. Draft him, put him in a closed room and throw something rotten in so he is forced to choke on miasma. cause a small cavein so he has to shoke on dust (be careful the caveins are very potent and might kill him, even if it barely nudged!) and generally do everything you can to make him miserable.

See what happens when he goes to the mayor to complain.
This would be the peasant room. With less engraving and cannon foddering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3