Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: And now an Ogre became mayor of my fortress...  (Read 9317 times)

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
And now an Ogre became mayor of my fortress...
« on: August 14, 2010, 02:55:03 am »

I modded the game, to make werewolves and ogres tameable, to have them guard my front gate and...because having pet ogres and werewolves is awesome!

So now I wanted to check, if my nobles need bigger offices, more chests or whatever and notice this...

Somehow my dwarves elected a tamed (named!) ogre to be the mayor of my funny fortress in the sinister lands.

I have some theories, how this could happen.

As he is chained at my front door, every dwarf would see this guy once in a while and think about how well this ogre guy is protecting the fortress and how peaceful everything is, since he is there and shit.

The other theory is, that they introduced the voting rights for ogres. As I have 8 tamed ogres, they probably all elected their named leader guy and my dwarves didn't give a damn about the elections...

Now my problem is:
I can't assign an office and quarters to him, which he rightfully demands as a mayor. Will this give him bad thoughts?
I don't want mayor ogre with bad thoughts in my fortress...

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: And now an Ogre became mayor of my fortress...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:25:44 am »

He might get bad thoughts from this, but I don't think you'll notice. In the description you posted it doesn't show any of the good or bad thoughts you see in dwarves.

Conveniently, he's already tied up. If he can and does tantrum, you've not only got an ogre protecting the front gate, but a berserk ogre.

If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:31:33 am »

He might get bad thoughts from this, but I don't think you'll notice. In the description you posted it doesn't show any of the good or bad thoughts you see in dwarves.

Conveniently, he's already tied up. If he can and does tantrum, you've not only got an ogre protecting the front gate, but a berserk ogre.
Which would lead to me having to build another entrance, because my dorfs can get by mayor berzerk.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:38:00 am »

All I saw was "Stray mayor" and then this popped into my head.

Urist McChild: Mama mama!  He followed me home!  Can I keep him?
Urist McMother: No, sweety.  You know that he'll mandate all over the carpet.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 04:05:31 am »

All I saw was "Stray mayor" and then this popped into my head.

Finding signature quotes on this forum is too easy.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Nintenlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Adamantine fever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 04:12:17 am »

This would mean that mandate is an item that actually exists in DF world. Which means some noble would naturally mandate it.
Urist McNoble mandates: Mandates (3/3)
Fastest death ever?
The only dragon I've seen in game walked into my rats nest of a fortress and died in the flames of the conflagration he started in the dining hall.  Of course, nearly every dwarf was dead by then, but we consider it a tactical victory.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 04:27:21 am »

This would mean that mandate is an item that actually exists in DF world. Which means some noble would naturally mandate it.
Urist McNoble mandates: Mandates (3/3)
Fastest death ever?

Yo dawg, I put mandates in your mandates so you can...
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 04:31:07 am »

I right now have the outpost liaison talking with the mayor...the liaison is an elf and the mayor is an ogre.

Something is just sooooo wrong here.

All this reminds me so much of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hq-G_ZcP-A
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 04:39:03 am by Sarganto »

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 08:19:42 am »

Have him eliminated, Silently at night where no one else can see. Wait untill a goblin attack and count him as a casualty.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 08:41:16 am »

I remember when I modded fire imps to be tameable. And made them smart so they would gain EXP and get better at spitting fireballs.

My kobolds loved them so much that they made one their leader. I don't think that leaders from other races but your own can even go unhappy. I also noticed that you're unable to place other races to your noble spots, they are listed but the moment you add 'em the spot is vacant again. Only stuff like mayor and so on where they're voted in count.

The mayor later on died in a goblin ambush, leading the soldiers personally.
Very sad.

Can't remember if there were unhappy thoughts because of it. Can't even remember if anyone had him  listed as an acquaintance or friend.

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 09:35:37 am »

But why can they vote for an ogre as mayor in the first place? I mean, it is a TAMED OGRE!!! Next time, they probably elect a cow or a raccoon!

At least, mayor raccoon sounds like it would lead to a lot of FUN.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 10:05:18 am »

Can't remember if there were unhappy thoughts because of it. Can't even remember if anyone had him  listed as an acquaintance or friend.

Creatures can only make friends with their own race.  (Racist bastards!) If you have "tamable elves", they will make friends only with other elves.  If you make your pets like dogs have [CAN_LEARN] or [INTELLIGENT], they will only make friends with other dogs, not with intelligent cows or whatever.  (This also leads to all your dogs being legendary in all the social skills, as well as having random cats walk onto the map as the pet of migrants with something like "master weaver" as a skill, and sometimes having those labors enabled.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 11:23:42 am »

I shall resist the urge to make political commentary and instead state that I look forward to the inevitable election of Ms. Tigerman as the mayor of my fort some day in the future.  She's already the most social being in the entire fort, after all!
Sanity is for the weak.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 01:24:32 pm »

So, do tigermen have suffrage?

And did your ogre make mandates?

"Grog wants meat."
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 01:41:40 pm »

I think mandates would go back to the old 40d style, wherein kings would make no mandates because they had no preferences.  No preferences for ogres (and most everyone but dwarves) means no mandates.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: [1] 2 3