Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Timebranch - The Fractal Story Challenge  (Read 4736 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Timebranch - The Fractal Story Challenge
« on: August 14, 2010, 02:19:37 am »

Spoiler: Original post (click to show/hide)

What happens when you mess with timelines? THIS happens! In the Fractal Story Challenge, you don't just play for a year. There's no waiting list. You can start from the beginning of any year. This is how it works:

Player A posts an initial save after playing for one year. This is labelled the Branchpoint.
Players B and C use the initial save and play for a year each. Their end-of-year saves are points A and B.
Player D takes the point A save and plays for a year. His save is point AA.
Player B posts his second year's save. This is point A2.
Player E and F take A2. Their saves are A2A and A2B.
Player G takes a copy of the initial save. This becomes point C.

Do you get the idea? I hope you do, I can't explain it better.

Saves

Branchpoint

Forters:
existent
Itnetlolor
Urist Imiknorris
askovdk
PTTG??
Dariush
Malecus
lordnincompoop (A (hiatus))
charred_gp
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:25:19 am by Zaerosz »
くコ:彡

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge proposal - Fractal Story
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 02:07:42 pm »

As some of you probably know, I have... issues with commitment. However, I AM good at coming up with challenges. So, here's my proposal:

One person starts a fort, plays through one year, uploads the save. They then continue playing and posting updates while other people pick up the saves from various years. At the end of ach game year the save from that file is uploaded for anyone else to pick up. You can pick up any save at any time - no waiting list! It should be interesting to see how people branch the story. The same fort could be a mountainhome, a utopia paved with gold, or a hovel hidden from the world, streets lined with rubbish. Would anyone be interested in this?

I really should say that I'm too busy, but hell, I'll sign up.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:39:11 pm »

So, if I'm reading this correctly, this is an alternate realities style succession fort?

Someone starts it off for a year, then anyone, at any time, continues from there after n-years? Get alot of people, and telling realities apart could be a little hectic. I mean, if we're going to be using DFMA, we might as well have a dimension code or something. Sorta like, the originator has no changes to his fort name in DFMA, and will remain that way; someone picks up after 1 year, and calls it &name&-A, and another person starts from the same spot (but is second to submit), they then are labeled &name&-B. Someone continues from B's next year, and it then turns into &name&-BA; and so forth.

I figure that could be an easier way to keep track of who has what, or what dimensional branch they come from. That way, we have (so to put it) reality coordinates to the fractal fort.

I think the dimension names should be chronological by-claim. Meaning, even if someone chose an earlier timeline/branch, it will still progress in dimensional name, so there is already up to F base-dimensions, and quite a few letters deep into the other letters, but someone wants to start from the base time (IE- 2nd year), well, that game will then be labeled &name&-G, because it's a new time branch that forms from there. I mean, we'd already have enough craziness with &name&-BCA, &name&-ACEABA, and &name&-FAD going on simultaneously, while the base (1st digits) are still going on by those players.

I suppose on that note, we might as well make a legend (player/coordinates) of who owns what dimension, seeing as some might share from other experiences or something; or attempt to merge realities.

EDIT:
We'll have to work out some sort of system so that it would be easy to tell them apart, and from what time they continue from. That's basically all I'm suggesting.

IDEA: Just label the branch points from each annual save that's submitted. That could work in itself; provided the link is there to mark down the branch point, and what dimensions are already split from there. They may have to be made as a tree format or something. Can't use spoilers, apparently they don't work how I thought they would. However, this may work:

Note: It would be easier to use/make with the advanced editor. SHIFT+ENTER and then add another bullet to branch off with. These are example links, but the save links can be put inside them; DFMAs are optional, and could be placed alongside.

EDIT EDIT:
Sign me up.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 04:15:55 pm by Itnetlolor »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 04:11:32 pm »

Holy fuck this would be confusing after about three years. I'm in.

I propose that each player continually edits one post with updates. If that fills up, link to your next post in the thread and continue there. Sorta like Ledi's parallel challenge game.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 04:15:07 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 04:22:02 pm »

That's actually a good idea. A single post can fill up to a maximum of what, 50,000 characters? To be courteous to others, I suggest we make good use of spoilers where necessary, as to not give someone a hard time getting to the right story. That is, unless OP, or dedicated watcher, has links to each person's initial posts.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 04:53:56 pm »

This sounds both very interesting and like a nice way to begin playing community games.  :)
I plan to join!
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 05:12:18 pm »

That's actually a good idea. A single post can fill up to a maximum of what, 50,000 characters? To be courteous to others, I suggest we make good use of spoilers where necessary, as to not give someone a hard time getting to the right story. That is, unless OP, or dedicated watcher, has links to each person's initial posts.
40,000. Posting to follow, but not play.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 05:41:55 pm »

OK. Let's see this.

I suggest that the original seven, being universal to all forts, be somewhat interesting-looking, with some personality. Maybe some nicknames.

I'm in.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 11:54:14 am »

Wow, I smell epicness! Sign me up!  :P

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 06:29:15 pm »

@Itnetlolor: ...okay, that works.

Wow, this is a lot more popular than I thought it would be. So since we've got so many people interested, who wants to provide the initial save?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 06:57:15 pm »

I'll do it. Just choose an embark, and abandon. For even more fractaldom, completely different starts.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 07:03:15 pm »

Hmm. I kinda meant "who wants to give us a save for the first year" so we had the same starting dorfs for a constant - otherwise we may as well just copy the parallel fort thing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:04:58 pm »

Ignore this post.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 07:09:19 pm »

I refute your order. *refuses to ignore post*

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 07:20:30 pm »

Hmm. I kinda meant "who wants to give us a save for the first year" so we had the same starting dorfs for a constant - otherwise we may as well just copy the parallel fort thing.
It wouldn't be coping the parallel fort thing, because every year, a new save pops up, and someone screws with that. Repeat ad infinitum. Anyways, here is the world, all you have to do is push R on the location screen to go to it, and here is a map of the location. I accidentally missed getting the images on the first embark, which is why there are two wagin on the map.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4