Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bonelands: A historian's adventure. (Community Fort)  (Read 4869 times)

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bonelands: A historian's adventure. (Community Fort)
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 04:46:16 am »

Anglur smiles. She knew these old towers were no mere hovels, but she expected only ruins close to the ground, not actual fortresses. Re-arming these would be a lot less difficult than anticipated. Even this 'archeology' nonsense that this Olon Tombpraises was going on about in the mountainhomes might have a use. In time, she might even try to attain a noble title in this dump.

She speaks up, addressing all four who travelled alongside her.

"Well friends, is this not an impressive place to be?"

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 11:08:35 am »

I will be Argonnek, and I shall be the militia commander! I will defend this peaceful little outpost with as much violence and gore as possible.

A bit of a backstory: He/She was commander of the 10th dwarven legion axe corps, but was discharged when the economy went south after the wars.

I'll take a dwarf with axe skill, if possible.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 11:45:26 am »

You realize that migrants with legendary combat skill are unlikely?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 11:51:44 am »

Who said legendary? I just want some combat skill. If there is a legendary axedwarf, then they are my preferred dwarf, but anyone with some axedwarf skill will work.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 12:14:10 pm »

It simply seems odd to me, that in a world where entire legendary squads are not out of the question, the commander of an entire legion were one of only little skill. I am very new here, so I might be unfamiliar with traditions, but this seems to be a rather wide story-gameplay segregation.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 12:20:32 pm »

I imagine it as skills rusting over time. Besides, he/she was just the axe corps commander, not the legion commander.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 12:20:58 am »

(I'll happily give you an axedwarf, but yeah, he won't be legendary. I could just act like he is. Or we could say he got his post through a combination of political and military school. Whatever you want. I am agreeable.

Moving on! Sorry about the lack of pictures. Also, I hope Anglur is sounding right. She's trying to lie her way in to a position of influence, right?)

Summer in the Bonelands

Olon was feeling baffled. He'd managed to grab a moment with one of the new arrivals, the one who seemed as though she were the leader of the group, and start up what he hoped was a casual conversation. The two dwarfs were walking through the crumbling halls of the home tower, exploring. Every day they found a new room, and a new set of passages, but they were all curiously devoid of any markings that would show who had built them. Right now they were in the Other Really Empty Room, so called because, well, it was.

“Well, Anglur, it's a real pleasure to meet you, I suppose. But, I hope you don't mind when I ask why you're here?”

Anglur smiled disarmingly. “It's a simple thing, really, Olon. I'm just a merchant. Me and few others back home thought it would be an excellent idea to do some trading with the humans to the west. We'll improve relations with them and make some money as we do. Nothing permanent, of course. Your little place here is just a convenient middle ground.”

Olon laughed uncertainly. “I, ah... didn't think the king was... in favor of talking to the humans?” This was becoming worrying. He'd come here to escape the politics of the Mountainhomes for year or two, and now-

“Oh, Olon, I don't know what the king might want. As I said, me and my companions are just merchants! Just think about it, please. We could arrange things to benefit all. You could spend some time making a few imitations of ancient art, clearly marked as imitations, of course. And I could sell them for you, in exchange for any research tools you want, and just small percentage of the profit for my people. It's nothing to do with the king.” She smiled again, looking bright and reassuring. Olon paused. They had just reached the door leading back to the dormitories. It seemed like the conversation was over.

Olon wasn't sure he trusted Anglur at all, but she seemed so absolutely open and honest that... He shrugged. “Well, I guess that's reasonable.”, It couldn't hurt, right? “OK, Anglur, it's a deal.” They shook hands. Anglur had a strong, firm, reassuring grip. Olon wondered why he still felt worried.

Things Refuse to Happen:

The rest of that summer passed by in a blur. Olon and a few others were busy mapping out the home tower, a dull, but necessary task. One of the new migrants, Vercingetorix, had brought a kitten that quickly made a nuisance of itself, leaving the rotting remains of rats and roaches in every far off corner possible. Mcdhubos and Mipe continued work on the sky-bridge, mainly as a way to pass the time. One of the dogs gave birth to puppies, who were immediately butchered for their savory meat. It rained every so often.

It was beginning to appear that the powers that be back in the Mountainhomes really did view the Bonelands as an irrelevant little backwater that could safely be ignored. Olon began to regret his suspicious attitude towards Anglur.

Autumn Arrives. Things Happen:

Only two days later, Rance found Olon lying in a pool of his own blood, at the foot of the north tower. He wasn't sure what the small, broken form was, at first, and when he realized who it was, he wasn't at all sure that he was alive. “Oh, gods...” he muttered. “Hey! Hey, anyone! There's... something happened to Olon! I ain't sure if he's even breathing!”

(Well, this is a fun development! Want to know what happened? So do I!)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 12:49:35 am »

AAAAA OH NO THE SPIRITS OF THE DEAD HAVE RISEN AND ARE TAKING THEIR REVENGE!!!!
No, wait, that's ridiculous. Obviously he just fell off the edge of the tower. I always said that making a railless bridge is a bad idea...

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 04:33:28 am »

Anglur makes her way outside. Raising an eyebrow, she walks up to the archeologist. If she has a piece of glass or metal, she would place it in front of the expedition leader's nose to detect steam. He clearly fell off the tower, but why? Did someone push this fellow off the tower? Was the hastily constructed bridge really such a threat? Sufficient winds high up certainly could be the cause of all this. However, the fact that Tombpraises clearly fell onto his legs given how those are the most badly injured means that the bruising on his head is suspicious. Did someone knock him out and throw him off?

Regardless, he is unlikely to survive without medical attention. Not yet familiar with everyone, she does not know if anyone knows more about anatomy than 'blood goes on the inside'.

"This is bad. I don't think legs are supposed to bend that way. There's certainly no joint between thigh and knee. If he does not get to a doctor soon, he's a dead dwarf. We can't even move him inside unless we know that his skull and spine are all right, I believe."

While this might make her job easier, openly treating the founder's potential death as a boon is incredibly daft. It's not as if he was even a real obstacle. Regardless, taking control now and trying to help him will be to her benefit no matter if Olon dies or not.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 09:52:08 am »

Dariush, I told you, I told your they'll come. I TOLD YOU ALL. SWEET ARMOK WE NEED A DOCTOR !
How the heck did he manage to do this anyways...

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 10:36:00 am »

(cuddles with kitten)
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 05:48:22 pm »

If my character has yet to arrive, then ignore this post.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 03:02:29 am »

Things Continue to Occur:

Rance's cries for help eventually reached the rest of the outpost's inhabitants. Anglur was the first to arrive. She gasped in surprise when she saw Olon. “Armok! What's happened to him? Is he...?”

“I checked, he's still breathing, but I think his legs are broken! And maybe his arms! And... I honestly don't know what else.”

Anglur took a deep breath, and let it out slowly. “Yes, I can see his legs are broken. Normal legs don't bend like that. They usually don't have the bones sticking out, either. Let's get him inside the tower, carefully, and then see if we can find a doctor.”

“Find a doctor? There's only 12 of us here. I'm sure if we had a doctor around, we'd have met him already.”

Later:

“Yeah, I've done some doctoring. I thought you'd realized that. I mean, I introduced myself as “Doc”.”

“You said you were a bone carver!”

Doc shrugged. “Same thing, really. A bone's a bone, when you get right down to it. The way I see it, the inside of a dwarf is about the same as the inside of a trout, right?”

“What? That doesn't make any...” Rance shook his head. “Look, can you treat Olon, or not?”

“I suppose I can try. Clear off a bed and put the man down, I'll take a look at him.”

Debate Time in the Bonelands:

“Look, as far as I can see, he was up on the north tower roof. You know how he liked-”

“Likes!”

“All right, you know he likes to look around the ruins on his own. Clearly he leaned against some old battlements that weren't as sturdy as he'd expected, and fell. I'm just amazed he's alive after a fall like that.”

“I just don't know. We've been digging into the roots of the towers, and that's not right. Who can say what we might have awoken and what it might do? Maybe it went after the boss first, and now it's going after us!”

“Oh, calm down, McDhubos”,  Dariush interrupted, rolling her eyes. “Derm's explanation seems perfectly reasonable to me. It was just an unfortunate accident”

"Unless it was something else", Mipe muttered darkly. "Or someone else."

Before anyone could answer, Doc slipped in to the meeting hall and coughed loudly. The conversation stopped, and all eyes turned towards him. “I've finished my diagnosis, folks. Basically what I expected. His legs are broken. Well, shattered might be a better word. The left lower one is in the worst shape. Not sure what I can do about that. His left arm's got a fracture too, but it's nothin' I can't deal with. Can't really say how much I can fix, but barring infections, I think he'll live. Pretty damn lucky, I'd say. Not many can fall six stories and live to tell the tale.”

There was a long lull in the debate as each dwarf thought over the news. Kamudo, the fisher was the first to speak. “So, who's in charge while Olon is broke down?”

“That's a rather tasteless way of putting it.”

“So? It's still important! Who's going to be making decisions while he's recovering?”

“I think we can simply make decisions as a group for now,” Anglur answered. “There's only twelve of us here. I shouldn't cause any problems to work by committee temporarily. I've got some experience heading up meetings, and Olon appointed me broker recently, so I haven't any problem with taking a hand in organizing things. With all of your input, of course.”

“Only until Olon recovers, right?” McDhubos looked a bit uncertain.

“Of course.”

(A note: It is now late autumn. The first caravan has just arrived. Argonnek, no dwarf for you just yet, but you should be in the next entry. Also, does anyone know if dwarfs can recover from multiple compund fractures?)

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 05:54:19 am »

I realize that this is taking liberties, but hopefully you are OK with this plot proposal.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 06:17:27 am »

So, all dwarves gathered together after Olon's fall and decided to make this hole a temporary democracy, but that didn't prevent that parvenu Anglur to claim both the leadership and the position of the broker! This fort will certainly be doomed if that girl still wet behind the ears who can't do anything except lying will rise to power! I have seen a lot of forts with such leaders. None of them survived for longer than a decade.
Tomorrow I'll corner up Anglur and demand her to cede the leadership to me, the most experienced in the group. Who knows, maybe it was her who pushed Olon off to get his position?...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4