Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bonelands: A historian's adventure. (Community Fort)  (Read 4870 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bonelands: A historian's adventure. (Community Fort)
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:06:17 am »

A community fort. The idea is that the dwarfs are digging to find not gold or steel or unspeakable horrors, but history! What will they actually discover? Probably the horrors.

Moving on.

From the Journals of Olon Tombpraises, Volume I

Getting permission was the hardest part, of course. The powers that be here in the Mountainhomes are not... enthusiastic about any adventure that doesn't "bring horrible agonizing death to all of our enemies". And we have so many of those, these days. You tell them that you want to dig around in the ground, looking at old bones, and they lose any enthusiasm. Making new bones is what they're interested in.

As it turns out, the only reason I've been given the go ahead is because my proposed dig site is very close to some little human civilization.

And while we aren't at war with them yet, that's only because we just discovered them. Yes, everything comes back to war, here. But I'll show them! They aren't going to turn my peaceful little expedition into a blood-soaked nightmarish journey into hell!

As it is, I've been given just enough cash to hire and equip six dwarfs. Once I have that, we'll head for the region appropriately known as the Bonelands. Scouts from the Mountainhomes have reported a veritable treasure trove of ruins scattered throughout that area. Remnants of early dwarven civilization. Our history is out there, waiting to be uncovered. And I'm going to be the dwarf to do it.

(Note: I'm using the dark fortress as ruins because it seems more dwarfy then some wooden human town. Plus, you can't embark on dwarf ruins.)

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bonelands: A historian's adventure. (Community Fort)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 01:30:10 am »

Name: mipe

Profession: Woodcutter/Axedwarf.

Do you want any other information? Oh, and I would actually like an battle axe, and not some wooden training axe.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 02:51:03 am »

Any amount of info is fine. The more details, the better!

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 02:58:42 am »

Name : UristMc Dbuhos

Profession : Mason/Engraver

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:10:06 am »

Still four dwarfs open, if people are interested. Anyways, I'm bored, so... moving on!

Several weeks later:

The wagon landed. Landed might not be the proper term. Crashed might work, or perhaps, "disentegrated in a fiery hailstorm of splinters". But at any rate, the mass of wood formerly known as a wagon came to rest at the top of a tall, crumbling obsidian tower. Seven dwarfs came tumbling out of the wreckage.

Olon (one of the first out) waited a few minutes, or at least until his heart started beating again, before speaking. "What... how... What posessed you to... do whatever the hell you just did, Urist?"

Urist McDbuhos (who had been steering up until that point), stood up, brushing a stray wagon wheel out of his beard, and answered, "Well, boss, you said you wanted to get a really good view of the ruins before we went and got set up, and I figured, we'd get the best view from right on top of them. It wasn't to hard to do, just had to convince the camels that leaping out into a hundred foot drop was a good idea."

"Is that how far we fell? One hundred feet?"

"Give or take a few, boss. Could've been two hundred. I wasn't counting. Point is, we're here, right? What next?"

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 01:16:32 am »

>.> I've never joined a Community fort.

Put me down as:

Kamudo MuthkatOkun (MansionShrine)
Fisherman/woman (I don't care.)

:D?
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 03:37:22 am »

I haven't seen a community fort started on a goblin fort before. I'd like to claim a dwarf please.

Name: Rance
Position: In addition to whatever he/she originally had, bonecarving.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 01:02:58 pm »

Oh god I laughed, "brushing a stray wagon wheel out of his beard" best line ever.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 01:22:14 pm »

It's been just one update and I already like it  :D I would like whoever is the oldest in the group. Give him mehanic and weaponsmithing profs and name him Dariush ;)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:41:50 pm »

Give me a Dwarf Named Derm.

Proffesion: EVERYTHING. Except woodcuttng and fishing.
Proffesion title: Multitasker.
Time mentioned in story updates: Above average.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 10:07:49 pm »

Name: Urist the Viole(n)t
Jobs: Bookkeeper/hammerdwarf

This is great so far.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 11:05:42 pm »

This looks like an awesome fort. Sign me up.

Name: UristMc Playswithfire
Profession: Smelter/Weaponsmith/Armorsmith

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 02:19:02 am »

From the Journals of Olon Tombpraises, Volume I

It's been a month since we arrived in the Bonelands. Discoveries of historical importance: 0. I have, however, found that obsidian is very hard to sleep on. You keep sliding.

At least I've managed to learn a bit about my companions. They may not be the best of the best, but they are the best I could afford to hire. And that's what really matters.

First there's Dariush, the oldest member of the group. She tells me she's a mechanic and a weaponsmith, even though I've got her down in my notes as a stoneworker. Odd.  I tried telling her that we wouldn't need weapons here, that we were just researchers, etc. Didn't seem to sink in. Hm.

Then there's Mipe, a woodcutter. She seems like a friendly enough, and I suppose it's a good idea to have someone who knows their way around a weapon here. I doubt she ever get to use it, though. This isn't a war party, after all.

It just isn't.

Next, Kamudo MuthkatOkun. Says she's both a fisherwoman and a miner. An odd combination. How does that even work?

Rance, farmer and bonecarver. Seems all right.

Derm: Well, technically she's a miner, but since we arrived she's been hauling anything she can, making beds, and setting up our bedrooms. I'd commend her for her willingness to handle any job, except that she's been doing all that digging in the PRICELESS ANCIENT STRUCTURE we are meant to be RESEARCHING. Gah. I'll need to speak with her.

As of now, we're still shacked up in the tower built by our ancestors.

I don't much like doing it, but I suppose we aren't going to be here permanently. Still, I'd swear that my companions are focused more on “survival” than history. Maybe it's time to call everyone together and discuss our mission here in detail. Yes, that should help things along nicely!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 02:22:56 am »

Sorry things are going a bit slow, I'm still trying to get a handle on what this fortress is about. Any of your thoughts, or what you want your dwarf's thoughts to be are welcome. That's what the meeting thing is for. Get involved in the story.

Also, I just realized that once I get enough migrants to grant requests, there will be three dwarfs named Urist in the fortress. Huh.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 02:27:32 am »

Thoughts would be that you should play my dwarf as having a form of ADHD which makes... her... Have to be doing SOMETHING at all times, but is also a really good listener and gives out sound and extremely unsubtle advice.

Even if the advice is being given while totemizing a cats skull.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4