Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A dwarf has fallen, and she can't get up!  (Read 1914 times)

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A dwarf has fallen, and she can't get up!
« on: August 13, 2010, 10:44:21 pm »

So, I have a bit of a problem here. Before I created a jail in my fortress, the current captain of the guard beat somebody up. Now she got beaten up by the officer, and got a bruised spine and broken hand. She went unconscious. The thing is however, that even though her spine healed on its own, and its a year later, she still hasn't woken up and gone to the hospital. The only thing wrong with her is a broken hand. Is this some bug?
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: A dwarf has fallen, and she can't get up!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 10:50:33 pm »

IIRC nervous system injury = permanent invalid.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »

So because the spine was bruised, she can't get up anymore? Because her health screen says she may only have trouble at grasping things due to a broken left hand.
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 12:49:53 am »

Well, if she continues on her path of uselessness you could make use of her by using her as a meatshield...
I can't really think of a use for her though.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 01:39:50 am »

nervous injury = permenent , even if it heals

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 05:35:53 am »

Kill her,it's the right thing to do.Would YOU like to never be able to walk?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 05:47:04 am »

Kill it with fire! It's the right thing to do. Would YOU want to live in a world without fire?
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 06:00:44 am »

Kill her with magma!Could YOU imagine a dwarf sacrifice without magma?

charl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 09:23:22 am »

Kill her with magma!Could YOU imagine a dwarf sacrifice without magma?

This gives me an idea for incorporating a temple with a sacrifice altar using magma in my fortress. Would give me something to do with the goblin armies my cage traps keep catching.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 11:30:44 am »

Don't kill her, assign her to the fortress guard.  Then your dwarves will be happy because there's law enforcement, and you'll be happy because there's no law enforcement.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 12:07:06 pm »

Might just be a bug. Deconstruct the bed and see what she does.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 04:29:08 pm »

She's been lying on the floor unconscious for an entire year? Do you have any dwarves with the "recover wounded" labor enabled? Even if motor nerves were torn, there's no reason someone wouldn't have brought her to the hospital to be diagnosed. Unless you don't have the hospital set up properly.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 12:22:15 pm »

Have the hospital set up properly, and I have a full time nurse who has no other patients, so I have no idea what happened. Also, the spine was only bruised. Also also, I don't have magma in my fortress so I can't easily kill her. (or at all)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 01:17:02 pm »

i have yet to see dwarves recover wounded in .12
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 05:16:06 pm »

Give her time, give her time ...

Look. I'll give you two stories. One is of a dwarf who was hurt by a tantrumer and suffered a broken leg and arm. He plain didn't go to the hospital and I didn't know why. The leg healed. he still refused to go. then the arm healed and he went about his business as usual.

Another dwarf is currently with a cracked skull and refuses to seek attention. Why? I don't know. but so far they've managed pretty well.

The answer might lie in the real story. The story of a dwarf who had his leg broken in two places by a yeti. He refused treatment, but he was tough. He continued his job as a soldier and it wasn't until he suffered another injury that he went to the doctor and recieved treatment. after this the wounds healed.

So my advice is to build an upright spear trap under the dwarf containing ONE poorly made wooden spear. hook it up to a lever and pull it twice, this will stab him once. when he recieves a new injury he might be treated for it and the dwarves decide to fix his original booboo up in the process! .. of course he might die as well, but hey. atleast he won't need food and attention anymore! just make sure your fortress isn't unhappy when doing it. don't want to set a spiral off ...

edit: oh and i'm playing 31.10
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2