Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Worst injury to a dwarf-and survived?  (Read 10096 times)

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worst injury to a dwarf-and survived?
« on: August 13, 2010, 02:34:01 pm »

So, yep, its another records thread. As the title says, whats the worst injury you've seen a dwarf have and still live? (As in go to the hospital and don't die. They don't have to go back to work.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:37:19 pm by farecoal »
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

Feral23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst injury to a dwarf-and survived?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 02:45:02 pm »

I have a badass sworddwarf that lost a hand... doesnt seem to slow down his rampaging.

usually bad injuries end up with the dreaded "lost ability to stand" and clutter up the hospital.
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup tiles ruined Ascii for me forever... and I played Hack when it was new.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 02:49:05 pm »

I remember a thread awhile back about a dwarf who survived having his guts spilled out, and drug them around for the rest of his life.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 02:50:03 pm »

I've seen one let's Play on YouTube where an axedwarf lost a hand but carried a shield and axe in one hand. Apparently they have no trouble with that.

Also, I believe the guts were represented as x's and left a trail of blood behind.
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 03:22:11 pm »

I can't find the thread, but I remember it.  He had ~~~ that trailed around behind him.  No blood though.  He got sewn up, after all.

In an earlier .31 release I had an axedwarf who lost his right hand.  He got it sewn up, I guess, and went back to soldiering, holding his shield in his left hand and his axe in his "right" according to his inventory.

I had to imagine some badass scarred up dwarf with a battleaxe blade strapped directly to his arm over the stump.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:00:05 pm »

I can't find the thread, but I remember it.  He had ~~~ that trailed around behind him.  No blood though.  He got sewn up, after all.

In an earlier .31 release I had an axedwarf who lost his right hand.  He got it sewn up, I guess, and went back to soldiering, holding his shield in his left hand and his axe in his "right" according to his inventory.

I had to imagine some badass scarred up dwarf with a battleaxe blade strapped directly to his arm over the stump.

It sounds like that dwarf took the whole "the weapon is an extension of your body" lesson a little too literally.

I once had a dwarf that lost  both of his feet in separate incidents.  One was while he was in the military, the other was from an FB attack.  He dropped into a coma after he lost the second foot.  He would periodically wake up and try to drag himself to the booze stockpile, and then pass out and get taken back to the hospital.  He eventually died from angry overseer needing the bed he took up natural causes.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 04:43:59 pm »

I had a dwarf catch a steel arrow to the eye and survive, plus a few arrows to the guts and after a quick trip to the hospital he went right back to sparring.  Infection set in, but I'm waiting for the next update to keep playing that fort (really hoping crutches become usable to get all non-standing dwarves out of the hospital) so it's kind of Schrodinger's dwarf as to whether or not he'll count as 'survived' for long.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 04:49:24 pm »

He didn't live, but one of my axedwarves had his nose and ear chopped off and his face all-around mangled. I was soooo hoping backup would peel the goblins off him in time so I could have a champion with half a face.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 04:51:58 pm »

I think there's already a lengthy thread on this. Most horrific injury or something like that.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 05:39:22 pm »

:o

I had a militia commander break all his limbs and lose both his hands, he survived, and just walked around doing nothing.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 05:58:42 pm »

[/quote]

:o

I had a militia commander break all his limbs and lose both his hands, he survived, and just walked around doing nothing.
[/quote]

He should have walked around on the stumps and used his feet for everything.  :P

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 08:03:16 pm »

I had a miner get his hip torn open.
I assumed it was his hip bone; but I had gotten a hospital set up and he was back in the mines in less then a month.

Not a dwarf, but a visiting goblin got both feet cleanly cut off and he managed to flee to the edge of the map, despite being the target of a kill order.

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 08:55:15 pm »

I had a dwarf get each of his limbs broken in the same fight. As soon as the last splint was on, he jumped back to his feet, apparently thinking that recovery time was a thing for lesser creatures. He was promoted to captain of the guard

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 08:56:13 pm »

Took a reclaim force and went after a dragon.

One of my axedwarves walked up first and got all of her limbs torn off. She kinda hung out there, still conscious while the rest of the reclaim force pushed the dragon deeper into the fort and got burned to death. Afterwards, the dragon just sat around, and my limbless axedwarf couldn't move, so I abandoned the fort.

Technically, she's still alive in legends.

---

Recently, I also had a harpy lasher from the mod in my sig take both arms and one leg off one of my fully armored hammerlords with a scourge. I had been planning to train her to be a marksman, but now she just hangs out in my dining room, talking with the children and reminiscing about being able to feed herself.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:58:36 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 09:06:55 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The only game I know of where the horribly debilitating wounding of your citizenry is a source of pride (especially if they survive it) and situations like ...
... now she just hangs out in my dining room, talking with the children and reminiscing about being able to feed herself.
... are considered normal every day events.   ??? :o :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: [1] 2 3