Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Worst injury to a dwarf-and survived?  (Read 10101 times)

sinister agent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud
Re: Worst injury to a dwarf-and survived?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 09:29:05 pm »

He dropped into a coma after he lost the second foot.  He would periodically wake up and try to drag himself to the booze stockpile, and then pass out and get taken back to the hospital.  He eventually died from angry overseer needing the bed he took up natural causes.

Yeah, my granddad went exactly the same way.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 10:13:50 pm »

I had a wood cutter who I made a post about a while back. He had red wounds over 90% of his body, mangled limbs, broken skull the whole nine yards. He was one of the last to die to the clowns after making a full recovery.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 12:25:53 am »

I can't find the thread, but I remember it.  He had ~~~ that trailed around behind him.  No blood though.  He got sewn up, after all.

In an earlier .31 release I had an axedwarf who lost his right hand.  He got it sewn up, I guess, and went back to soldiering, holding his shield in his left hand and his axe in his "right" according to his inventory.

I had to imagine some badass scarred up dwarf with a battleaxe blade strapped directly to his arm over the stump.

It sounds like that dwarf took the whole "the weapon is an extension of your body" lesson a little too literally.

Or he's watched Evil Dead a couple too many times.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 03:32:14 pm »

There isn't any nerve damage, we have some good doctors, and he's quite quick to heal, so I expect a full recovery.

Oh, and he's also the mayor's husband, and has nine kids and seven friends.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:35:48 pm by Eugenitor »

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 03:50:28 pm »

I had one fortress where the medical staff were complete monsters.

A random hauler got caught in crossfire from an ambush and ended up pale, nauseous, and in extreme pain, with major organ damage and 80% major wounds.

The medical staff promptly proceeded to operate on him for two years straight, before I noticed him doing his hauling again.

Reconstituted dwarf paste wrapped in silk cloth, I tells ya.

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 04:49:45 pm »

I had one fortress where the medical staff were complete monsters.

A random hauler got caught in crossfire from an ambush and ended up pale, nauseous, and in extreme pain, with major organ damage and 80% major wounds.

The medical staff promptly proceeded to operate on him for two years straight, before I noticed him doing his hauling again.

Reconstituted dwarf paste wrapped in silk cloth, I tells ya.

"We can rebuild him...faster...stronger...dwarfier!"
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 05:26:57 pm »

I just had a dwarf get cuaght in a cave in (to makes some farming land) and has: Broken Upper Leg (Right and left) Broken Upper right arm, bruises on everything else, bruised lungs, spleen, guts, and liver. After passing out once, i decided he was going to die (no doctors and only 9 dwarfs) he woke up and promptly went back to mining... with his pick in his right hand... and he's faster then the second miner (both are the same mining level) currently all his body bruises are gone but his organs are still cyan.
Back to Mafia with me!

fluiddruid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 09:19:01 pm »

I mentioned this in another thread, but: from an FB, I had a squad of soldiers who were afflicted with advanced rot on every area exposed to the surface, pretty much. Eyelids, ears, nose, lips, as well as every arm and leg, every finger and toe, all the skin, fat, and muscle... they were rotten all the way through to the bone.

Out of around seven victims, two survived, after surgery was successful.  I believe the others would have also, if I could have gotten them treated faster, but my medical facilities were not only overtaxed, the hospital was impossible to properly manage due to the miasma filling it (and, shortly after, the the rest of my fortress due to some afflicted pets).  They walked off before I could operate, except for those two.

The survivors... well, let's just say the list of scars is extensive (I guess it would be, after all the rotting flesh being removed, they are little more than shambling husks of their former selves), and they are blind.  After recovering, they went back to their normal lives, and (after one tantrum and jail sentence) were indeed quite happy and comfortable doing about their affairs.  After being cared for in the comfy jail and enjoying some quiet time, the tantruming dwarf is actually quite ecstatic.  I guess he got out of the army, didn't he?  (Not for long, I redrafted him.  Wohhh wohhhhhh!)

I dropped that fortress for awhile after the rot started to spread.  Need to get it going again sometime.  I didn't abandon.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:21:24 pm by fluiddruid »

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:38 pm »

I think that worst injuries are the simplest and "just a scratch" that kills you dorfs infected... stupid soap
And also, i have the idea that a dwarf that can make a remotely controled mechanism whit rocks, should can build mechanical protesis for dwarf fellows...
inb4 full adamantine robo-dwaf-cop <_<

haberdasher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 09:58:08 pm »

my current fort had a hunter who got bitten and scratched up by wolves and cougars over the course of about two years, then had the misfortune of being outside when a bronze colossus attacked my fort.

the militia charged up in time to stop the colossus from killing the hunter, but his dogs were crushed and before the fight was over the colossus had punched the hunter in the head so hard he went blind.

for the next few months he stayed in the hospital and was completely miserable, having lost something like three pet hunting dogs all at once on top of being horribly injured. the doctors set his broken bones and stitched him up as well as they could, but they couldn't save his eyesight.

I kept tabs on him for a while to make sure he didn't develop an infection, then went back to smelting steel and forging weapons and armor for the expanding militia. I wasn't really expecting him to be of much use anymore, but he had worked diligently for years and had saved countless dwarf lives by distracting the colossus, giving the other civilians time to escape into the fortress proper. I figured, the least I could do for this guy was make him comfortable.

a few months later I was idling over my militia's barracks, which is set up between the front gates and the stairs down into the main fortress, watching my new squad of speardwarves train. then I notice this hunter limping through with a fresh wolf carcass in tow. I checked the job list, and sure enough, he's returning his kill.

this guy lost all his pets, broke countless bones, and went blind, and what did he do? he went right back to work. I assigned some new hunting dogs to him and he kept hunting for about a year, continuing to successfully kill wolves and elk and the odd cougar every now and then, with a crossbow.

long story short, this guy was a badass. he had terrible luck, though, because the next goblin siege rolled up right as he was out near the edge of the map hunting. he laid into them for all he was worth, but it was just this one guy and his dogs against an entire squad, so he bought the farm that time.

I forged a steel statue in his honor and set it up in his tomb. never forget!

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 10:13:30 pm »

I couldn't find the report of it, but SOMETHING ripped the arms and ears (i dunno why) off of one of my wrestlers. He survived the bleed out, and rejoined his squad for training.
Goblin ambush led by some commander and Urist McArmless beats the crap out of half of them. I don't even know how he did that.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 10:29:30 pm »

I just wrote a little story about 'Killer' in the community subforum, who was swamped by Goblins. He has eleven broken bones, including both arms and legs. Lost his left hand and has huge cuts all over his body. Every part of his body was red on his health screen, apart from his head, (yellow) and both feet, untouched. Went to hospital, got diagnosed and before any treatment, went right back to work. walking as quick as everyone else now. Hard as nails.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 10:45:21 pm »

Just this fort I had a guy get all parts of his arms and legs broken, his guts broken, his liver broken, and one of his ears ripped off.

They fixed him up, but his leg nerves were all destroyed and he could never walk again. He eventually died because SOMEONE decided to lock the door to his hospital room and nobody could figure out how to get in and feed him.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 12:08:47 am »

That guy I thought was going to live?

He was cleaned.

Then about a season later he got an infection and died.

Goddamn septic dwarves.

dwarf -lover-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:34 am »

>before the fight was over the colossus had punched the hunter in the head so hard he went blind.

for some reason I just couldn't stop laughing at that.

At the moment my expidition leader has a broken skull, and just keeps mining. Didn't even go to the hospital.
Pages: 1 [2] 3