Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: [DF 31.13] ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝ [WotR 13.3] (We're back!)  (Read 41758 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 31.12] ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝ [WotR 0.10.1]
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2010, 10:54:13 am »

Quick Update:
I've got Haradrim, and Mumakil done. I also created Barrow Wights- essentially these guys. They need work, I'm almost positive they'd be broken if I uploaded them as-is. They're incredibly strong, and they're going to get a syndrome effect at some point soon.

I'm also giving hobbits access to axes, pending the weapon overhaul.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2010, 11:01:06 am »

So presumably wights will show up in evil hills, at the very least... it might be interesting to make them extremely common but give them a very limited set of biomes. Providing you get around to creating enough variety when it comes to creatures, you could re-use this technique repeatedly to give certain biome/alignment combinations more flavour (I've always felt things are far too... homogenised in vanilla DF).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2010, 12:37:03 pm »

Evil hills are cool, but there's no "hills" biome (sadly), so you will have to play with evil temperate biomes on them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2010, 12:39:37 pm »

Hm. I didn't actually ever notice that you can't specify hills. Oh well.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2010, 12:50:08 pm »

So presumably wights will show up in evil hills, at the very least... it might be interesting to make them extremely common but give them a very limited set of biomes. Providing you get around to creating enough variety when it comes to creatures, you could re-use this technique repeatedly to give certain biome/alignment combinations more flavour (I've always felt things are far too... homogenised in vanilla DF).
I agree entirely. Unfortunately, the game doesn't register "hills" as a distinct biome (Oh. Ninja'd. Whatever.) . If Hobbits/Barrow Wights could be restricted to hills, that'd be awesome, but unfortunately, they can't. In this case, BW's will be very rare, but found everywhere.

Mumakil, on the other hand, are fairly common, but restricted to desert/savanna biomes.

One of my main goals with this mod is to give each race its own distinct flavor. I don't want every race to play exactly the same as vanilla DF. Each race should (and will) have its own unique advantages/disadvantages that make playing as them more than a cosmetic choice.

For example, Elves don't need to sleep. Dwarves can't farm. Humans can't access spoiler metals. These things are fairly basic now, but I plan on making it even more divided later. Especially when it comes time for the weapon overhaul. I have in mind a specific "role", if you will, for each race to play in the grand scheme of things. I want each race, (and each biome as well) to play uniquely.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not much of a modder, but I wanted to try lending a hand! And what Middle Earth would be complete without the Silmarils?
I've gone ahead and slipped that in. When I upload it, you'll find yourself credited in the file. (Same applies to Deon and his Ents)

I've got a bunch of stuff I have to do this week, and it's taking a lot of willpower to not work on WotR instead. Ah, procrastination, I love you. Why do you seem to always hurt me in the end?

Since I won't have anything else fun for you guys today, here's a present instead.
My modding music.

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2010, 03:11:01 pm »

I agree entirely. Unfortunately, the game doesn't register "hills" as a distinct biome (Oh. Ninja'd. Whatever.) . If Hobbits/Barrow Wights could be restricted to hills, that'd be awesome, but unfortunately, they can't. In this case, BW's will be very rare, but found everywhere.

Mumakil, on the other hand, are fairly common, but restricted to desert/savanna biomes.

One of my main goals with this mod is to give each race its own distinct flavor. I don't want every race to play exactly the same as vanilla DF. Each race should (and will) have its own unique advantages/disadvantages that make playing as them more than a cosmetic choice.

For example, Elves don't need to sleep. Dwarves can't farm. Humans can't access spoiler metals. These things are fairly basic now, but I plan on making it even more divided later. Especially when it comes time for the weapon overhaul. I have in mind a specific "role", if you will, for each race to play in the grand scheme of things. I want each race, (and each biome as well) to play uniquely.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not much of a modder, but I wanted to try lending a hand! And what Middle Earth would be complete without the Silmarils?
I've gone ahead and slipped that in. When I upload it, you'll find yourself credited in the file. (Same applies to Deon and his Ents)

I've got a bunch of stuff I have to do this week, and it's taking a lot of willpower to not work on WotR instead. Ah, procrastination, I love you. Why do you seem to always hurt me in the end?

Since I won't have anything else fun for you guys today, here's a present instead.
My modding music.

Elves do have to sleep, actualy.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2010, 03:14:36 pm »

From the LotR wiki:
Elves apparently did not sleep, but rested their minds in waking dreams or by looking at beautiful things.

Plus, no sleep makes for an interesting game mechanic.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2010, 05:17:31 pm »

ya and even in the books when they *rest* it lasts only about an hour or two.
Nom nom nom

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2010, 10:00:14 pm »

Hey what about the Men of The North for the good races aka the northern rangers.
Also the Rhohirrim?
add more diversity to the biomes like you were hoping to have, and split up the humans for diversity.
Nom nom nom

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2010, 10:03:09 pm »

Hey what about the Men of The North for the good races aka the northern rangers.
Also the Rhohirrim?
add more diversity to the biomes like you were hoping to have, and split up the humans for diversity.
Things on my list:
Rangers: yes.
Rhohirrim: Ehhh... I'm not sure they would be that different. Maybe a caste of fast/agile but weaker humans?
Diversity: yes.

I haven't gotten to humans at all, yet.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2010, 10:08:21 pm »

well for the rhohirrim, maybe let them be one of the few seigers to use mounts, IDK just some thoughts.
Nom nom nom

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2010, 10:26:08 pm »

well for the rhohirrim, maybe let them be one of the few seigers to use mounts, IDK just some thoughts.
I'm thinking fast spearmen, to compliment the human sword/bowmen (which is the direction they'll be heading. Humies are gonna get some nice siege stuff, to boot. And I might change their site type to dark fortress, just so they get some castle-looking stuff going on.)

Edit: for the life of me, I cannot figure out a name for barrow wight's syndrome effect that doesn't sound stupid.
Edit2: Ne'er mind. "Wight Essence" it is.
Edit3: Hey andhfe, you still having problems?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:28:42 pm by existent »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2010, 03:31:13 am »

I would've picked "wight's touch", myself. It sounds nasty.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2010, 04:42:26 am »

Rohirrim :). And they are actually Eorlingas.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2010, 08:38:36 am »

I would've picked "wight's touch", myself. It sounds nasty.
"wight blight"

DF poetry FTW

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9