Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37036 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment
« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2011, 09:47:07 am »

No it's just in general. Between here, the Steam forums, and a few threads on teh Dungeons forums, I don't see a lot of attempts to give the game a fair shake. That's just my opinion though, how much time you need to play a game before you decide it sucks is personal. 

To be fair, they could have combined the first two and the next two levels of the game together. Having to play 4 levels to get access to 80% of the stuff you'll use doesn't do people a lot of favors when they're trying to come to grips with the game.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:49:57 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2011, 10:00:03 am »

Here's the secret to getting past that part: get your monster level up. They are NOT stingy with the monster cap in the campaign. Throw those bastards out there and let them take the heat from the heroes, don't camp on your monster cap or use it to expand. Having monsters out there buys you time and they become phenominally effective when the level gap between them and heroes is close. Even at -3, heroes start getting minor soul energy for getting in fights.

Two things:

1) The first level I was really let to do whatever I wanted (third map?  With the wizard's basement) the hero spawns were three minutes apart at the start.  So long in fact that I opened the second hero door out of boredom.

And I still sat with my thumb up my ass for good lengths of time.

Oh, and the story quest of 'beat up the guards' got me killed because they didn't bother mentioning that maybe I should "tech up" before breaching those walls.

2) The game never informed me as to how I could level up monsters.  This is incredible valuable information, required to play well and they don't tell you.

I 'Quit The Game Forever' before learning how to upgrade monsters.  Even though the game would probably be easier and more fun now, I don't care anymore.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:01:45 am by Draco18s »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 11, 2011, 10:27:21 am »

Yeah. I'm not saying it was well executed in that regard. Monster level is by far one of the most important things you have to maintain to have a chance in hell, and it's not even mentioned. You have to dig to find it.

Since you don't care anymore though, I'll stop giving you reasons to speak in italics.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:40 am »

Yeah. I'm not saying it was well executed in that regard. Monster level is by far one of the most important things you have to maintain to have a chance in hell, and it's not even mentioned. You have to dig to find it.

And that is why games have manuals (except this one doesn't) and tutorials (which this one...had part of one).

By the way, anyone know where the official forums are?  I haven't really tried to find them yet, but I would like to get over there.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 11, 2011, 11:00:18 am »

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=43

One benefit of playing the German demo was I looked at everything. So I figured out eventually, through guess work, what the button that increased hero level did.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 11, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=43

One benefit of playing the German demo was I looked at everything. So I figured out eventually, through guess work, what the button that increased hero level did.

Been duking it out over there as well.  Its amazing how many people there seem to like the game.  One guy even suggested that rather than heroes losing half their Soul when monsters kill them, they lose all of it.

Which is apparently the setting if you change the difficulty to "hard."

Admittedly he thought it was a deduction from your resources, not from the hero.  But he still thinks that not-personally slain heroes should lose their resource value entirely.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 11, 2011, 12:33:22 pm »

Well I hope you had your catharsis :P

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 11, 2011, 12:53:12 pm »

Well I hope you had your catharsis :P

Working on it.  Used to be that I played games to get catharsis from dealing with people.  But now I've got to bitch at the devs to get catharsis from the games.  Ugh.  I hate dealing with people.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 11, 2011, 04:10:52 pm »

The game never informed me as to how I could level up monsters.  This is incredibly valuable information, required to play well and they don't tell you.

So... mind sharing that information?  I just started playing last night.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 11, 2011, 04:19:47 pm »

The game never informed me as to how I could level up monsters.  This is incredibly valuable information, required to play well and they don't tell you.

So... mind sharing that information?  I just started playing last night.

There's a button in the Dungeon Heart info window.
Costs soul energy.
A lot of soul energy.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 11, 2011, 06:17:32 pm »

Update:
Requested a refund from steam
Got banned from the steam forums "forever" because I said that in the future I'm going to "torrent first and pay later."  It was worth it.
Got told that I was a troll by one of the Dungeons developers (or perhaps just a forum mod with the Kalypso icon).

Awesome. :)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 11, 2011, 08:54:19 pm »

Got banned from the steam forums "forever" because I said that in the future I'm going to "torrent first and pay later."  It was worth it.

Haha.  Dick move on the official store's official forums, but seeing someone get banned like that is kind of like watching someone fall down the stairs.  If you're not butthurt over it, that's kinda funny.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 11, 2011, 09:03:16 pm »

From the entire steam forums or just the Dungeons 2011 portion?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 11, 2011, 09:21:34 pm »

My guess is the whole Steam forums, that's what I'd do.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #359 on: February 11, 2011, 09:43:17 pm »

Looking at this game, I wasn't expecting it to be like DK from when they said you had your own avatar. Some of the problems people have with this game are because it isn't like DK, but most of them seem to be simply because it isn't a good game in the first place. Sorry to see it go this way though.

And even mentioning torrents on many big official forums for games will get you instantly banned, no questions asked ::)
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28