Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37076 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment
« Reply #300 on: February 08, 2011, 06:34:42 pm »

Quick question for those who have it on steam:

I had heard that I need to register a separate account to play even if I bought this game on steam.  Is this true?

Unfortunately, yes. Rather than using Steam to patch the game, they want you to do it through their servers. For non-Steam users, this allowed them to unreigster their serial key and re-sell the game to someone else.

For Steam users, that's about as useful as tits on a bull.

Okay, thanks.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 08, 2011, 07:30:35 pm »

They sure are asking a lot of coin for this game so I think I will give it a pass until a steam sale, but I am certainly watching this thread with interest because I loved the DKs and loved Evil Genius, and most of my forts have been death trap dungeons.

Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 08, 2011, 07:32:34 pm »

Maybe if we are lucky they will release Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 on Steam.

I'd buy it...

I just wanted a slow relaxing game where I could take my time... and Dungeons doesn't seem like it delivers.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2011, 08:04:35 pm »

It may not. That said, I'm finding the challenge of designing a dungeon the point where it becomes relaxing is kind of fun.

My plan is to play the campaign to finish it, and then relax in the sandbox. Trying to play each campaign level like a perfect "build your own dungeon" scenario sounds like a recipe for disappointment in Dungeons. I'd play the sandbox first, but after getting into the humor of the game in English, I want to see what the campaign offers first.

I mean, I have to laugh when heroes run into stuff and yell "Alright, time for some experience!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 09, 2011, 08:53:42 am »

I've started playing the demo, my initial feelings are that I spend way too much time running back and forth with the avatar to kill the heroes before they leave with my gold. I don't really like having to micromanage the avatar like that. Want to play the game not work at it.

However that was only level 1 (well 2 as their is a first level that is just a learn how to move and the like thing, but lets not count that one) so it may improve, currently playing level 2 although as my lunch break is over I will probably wait till tomorrow before getting into it. First glance it looks like I might have to do less pointless running as I can place the goal and gimmicks myself now and so isolate the location where heroes can be trapped, I think they may have used the wrong mechanic with this as it doesn't make much sense but no matter we will see how it plays out.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 09, 2011, 08:56:12 am »

However that was only level 1 (well 2 as their is a first level that is just a learn how to move and the like thing, but lets not count that one) so it may improve

Nope, you pretty much have to kill heros with your Avatar or traps for a penelty.

Though from what I seen the penelty for a Hero not being killed by the Avatar isn't that extreme.

The game plays as a management between building your dungeon, completing the quests with your avatar, and killing heros (protecting the heart) with your avatar.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2011, 09:05:39 am »

Nope, you pretty much have to kill heros with your Avatar or traps for a penelty.

Well level 1 I couldn't even build traps :) so that will be an improvement on it's own. In fact if I can play in a style that basically means I only use the avatar for quests (which I haven't seen yet) and for leaving at the dungeon heart that will probably be okay.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2011, 10:10:31 am »

After doing the demo thing I found it to be like a cross between a tower defense and a shallow theme park game. I dont even know what to say about the dungeon lord and the goblin assistant other than, hmm looks familiar..maybe I've seen them before..oh yeah, they are fucking Overlord clones....

Well here's hoping that the full game is somewhat brighter, or that patches or mods make this game better, not sure if the game is mod friendly or not, but I hope so.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2011, 12:56:58 pm »

Can't I just be evil for once without it being a joke?
Well, you are pretty evil in Blood Omen. But then so is almost everything around you. Although I suppose the helpless prisoners you murder aren't.

Going back to the subject of Dungeons, I'd mostly agree with jnecros. It's annoyingly simplistic. The monsters are nothing more than mumorpeger mobs that you set up respawn points for. The only way to automate dealing with heroes would be to set up some elaborate tower defence scheme where the heroes end up being knocked out, but only after they've gotten entertained enough.

Not to mention the map design is annoying. "They're taking your gold!" - well, no shit, you put the gold right next to the entrance and I can't create gold spots elsewhere on this level, asshole.

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2011, 07:55:56 pm »

After doing the demo thing I found it to be like a cross between a tower defense and a shallow theme park game. I dont even know what to say about the dungeon lord and the goblin assistant other than, hmm looks familiar..maybe I've seen them before..oh yeah, they are fucking Overlord clones....

I wanted to suggest alternate titles for the thread:

Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% different disappointment
Dungeons 2011 - $40 Tower Defense Game (with Dungeon Keeper theme)

;D

Reading through this thread made me put this game in my Amazon cart but further reading has made me take it back out again. I'm also someone who enjoys just watching the menu screen in (Open)TTD so I'm really sympathetic to the criticisms of MUD TV and their applicability to Dungeons.

I found the whole tower defense genre exiting for about a few hours a few years ago and I've tried enough variants to be sure that killing endless waves of heroes via endless waves of monsters is really going to bore me. I've never had a high tolerance for waves of anything; I regard the boogeymen in adventure mode the same way one might feel about a world in which Winston Churchill had turrets.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2011, 08:12:41 pm »

I regard the boogeymen in adventure mode the same way one might feel about a world in which Winston Churchill had turrets.

That would be a pretty sweet TD game, you've gotta admit.

And/or a Normandy tower defense game.  >_>
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2011, 08:26:19 pm »

Well level 1 I couldn't even build traps  so that will be an improvement on it's own

Except you don't want to kill people with traps because of the penelty and because you don't know when they die. You want to kill people personaly.

Though it really depends. You can easily fall behind if you don't siphon souls.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2011, 08:29:47 pm »

From the way people are talking back and forth here, (having not played it myself though,) it sounds like a lot of people are complaining because the mechanics work a little different from the way they expect.  You feel like you HAVE to get 100% kills, and the game really really doesn't expect to you.  Bothering to try will just cripple and annoy you, it's not the way the game works.  Or something.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »

Going back to the subject of Dungeons, I'd mostly agree with jnecros. It's annoyingly simplistic. The monsters are nothing more than mumorpeger mobs that you set up respawn points for. The only way to automate dealing with heroes would be to set up some elaborate tower defence scheme where the heroes end up being knocked out, but only after they've gotten entertained enough.

Not to mention the map design is annoying. "They're taking your gold!" - well, no shit, you put the gold right next to the entrance and I can't create gold spots elsewhere on this level, asshole.

That first level of the demo was terribly conceived. Once they give you more control, it's quite a bit less frustrating.

Monsters are also balanced against different types of heroes (skellies for mages, mages eat slimes, ect...). But again, none of that is made apparent in the one demo level people actually play and can take the time to digest all the text and what not.

As for automation, it's about your needs. Do you need max soul energy, so you can build up prestige, so you don't get your ass kicked? In the campaign, the answer is yes. In sandbox, in which most of the game values are stored in LUA and can be changed, the answer is up to you.

I've told them that the penalty for your DL not killing a hero is way too stiff, and basically shoots the sim fun of the game in the face. They've heard me, but their response was "well it's only a 20% penalty on easy difficulty, and it's moddable, at any rate."

I keep hoping with enough feedback, they re-evaluate some of the parts of the game they interpreted as fun. I think they were caught unawares by how much everyone, including people who like the game, wish there were more sim features.

From the way people are talking back and forth here, (having not played it myself though,) it sounds like a lot of people are complaining because the mechanics work a little different from the way they expect.  You feel like you HAVE to get 100% kills, and the game really really doesn't expect to you.  Bothering to try will just cripple and annoy you, it's not the way the game works.  Or something.

From what I understand, the campaign can get "FU" challenging if you don't play by their rules. Champions apparently will hand you your ass without the commensurate Dungeon Prestige bonus to beef up your stats. Heroes, eventually, will start doing the same if they gang up on you in large numbers. The demo paints a very ho-hum picture of overall difficulty. Apparently the campaign, with champions and all the other hero types, multiple open gates, constant side-quests and demands coming from your boss....they've balanced the game very tightly to their overall design. Which is why I think some people feel like they don't have room to maneuver. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:37:20 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 09, 2011, 08:47:46 pm »

Well basically here is the balance:

You need gold, Prestiege, and Souls

In order to get gold you have to dig

In order to get souls you need heros

In order for those heros to give you souls you need gold

In order to defeat heros you need prestiege

Heros become stronger as you continue on

In otherwords if you don't kill satisfied heros you will find yourself too weak rather quickly.

Whenever ANY hero escapes your dungeons, except through the dungeon not having anything that satisfies them. It is a huge loss as they take a sizable amount of cash as well as a large number of souls. You have some leeway but you will need to take them down sooner or later.

You DO have to kill almost all the heros, but I find your Avatar to be quite swift. It isn't that tough to make sure they are all dead. You also have to beat levels before the heros outdate your dungeon.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28