Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37073 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2011, 09:02:38 pm »

I think that to a certain extent, as gamers we have become too accustomed to gaming the system.  The first few times we ran across sim or strategy games, we were still learning how to learn to game them in the first place.  It takes a while to develop a real system for exploring and exploiting the mechanics.  If a total newbie to games ran across Dungeons, it would probably be just as big of a kick in the pants as Hospital Tycoon.  If they went backwards, they might have the same experience.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 01, 2011, 12:48:30 am »

Hospital tycoon could have been awesome.   So much potential pissed up against a wall.  Off topic I know but the fact that I STILL see copies of it being sold in game stores seems to be fairly typical of whats wrong with the game industry.
RANT
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2011, 12:55:08 am »

I tried it, it's pretty cool.  I apparently overdid it though and killed all my heroes pretty much right out of the gate.  Still getting the hang of it.

One thing I don't like, and what I have always hated:  Tongue-in-cheek.  I like myself a good tongue in cheek game.  I don't like that every game that lets you be the bad guy like this is tongue in cheek.  Can't I just be evil for once without it being a joke?
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2011, 01:00:16 am »

I hear that. It is rare to find that kind of hardboiledness in anything but FPS and RPGs. Maybe it's people are worried about a game that is too dark, when combined with stuff like torture, ect... take your theme too seriously, and it starts to get creepy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2011, 06:23:47 am »

Hospital tycoon could have been awesome.   So much potential pissed up against a wall.  Off topic I know but the fact that I STILL see copies of it being sold in game stores seems to be fairly typical of whats wrong with the game industry.
RANT
Whoops.  My typo.  I meant Theme Hospital, not that total POS.  Theme Hospital was great.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 01, 2011, 09:04:27 am »

Yeah. Theme hospital was radical!

Oh bloat head disease how I loathe thee!

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 06, 2011, 01:59:35 pm »

Yeah. Theme hospital was radical!

Oh bloat head disease how I loathe thee!

God I loved that game.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 06, 2011, 02:15:57 pm »

I tried it, it's pretty cool.  I apparently overdid it though and killed all my heroes pretty much right out of the gate.  Still getting the hang of it.

One thing I don't like, and what I have always hated:  Tongue-in-cheek.  I like myself a good tongue in cheek game.  I don't like that every game that lets you be the bad guy like this is tongue in cheek.  Can't I just be evil for once without it being a joke?

There are plenty of games in which you can do that. Heck, look at Master of orion 2, and it's numerous war crime options.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 08, 2011, 08:59:29 am »

Can't I just be evil for once without it being a joke?

There are a few... but none of these examples are where you ARE evil by default.

Oddly enough one Tongue in Cheek game I can think of (Soul Nomad) is interesting because the Evil Playthrough, that you have to unlock, is not only considerably darker but the story actually seems to hold up better as well. I only mention it because it actually is an Evil Playthrough without tongue in cheek (aside from Gig's statements).
-Which to me is sort of a shame. The real story is actually sort of disapointing while the evil story is much more interesting and I would have genuinly liked to play as the Hero of that one.

However let me see... Non-Comedy Evil games
-Syndicate

Hmmm that is all I can think of right now...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 08, 2011, 02:08:33 pm »

Quick question for those who have it on steam:

I had heard that I need to register a separate account to play even if I bought this game on steam.  Is this true?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 08, 2011, 02:27:37 pm »

After playing the demo I am sort of disapointed that it seems like the game runs on a secret time limit.

Or rather you have a certain period of time before the heros become too strong for you and simply destroy you.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 08, 2011, 04:37:34 pm »

demo
time limit
Meh, I'll see what it's like once I have the full version.

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 08, 2011, 05:35:37 pm »

ok, that's wierd, for some reason I can't go progress behind pleasentville.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 08, 2011, 06:26:54 pm »

Quick question for those who have it on steam:

I had heard that I need to register a separate account to play even if I bought this game on steam.  Is this true?

Unfortunately, yes. Rather than using Steam to patch the game, they want you to do it through their servers. For non-Steam users, this allowed them to unreigster their serial key and re-sell the game to someone else.

For Steam users, that's about as useful as tits on a bull.

After playing the demo I am sort of disapointed that it seems like the game runs on a secret time limit.

Or rather you have a certain period of time before the heros become too strong for you and simply destroy you.

It goes like this: Hero levels increase on a timer. To stay competitive, you need to create prestige objects to keep your DL's power rising as their heroes get tougher. You also have to increase your monster's level through the Dungeon Heart, although it will never top out above the heroes.

And the full game is even worse in this regard. The more heroes you have imprisoned, the more likely it is a champion will visit the dungeon, that can seriously wreck your Dungeon Lord.

I'm kind of pissed they left the last level as a "survive as long as you can" ordeal. Considering you only get to use 3/5 of the pentagrams and half the items of the demo until you play that level, it's not exactly a great way to stop and enjoying things.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28