Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37104 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: A New (sort of) Dungeon Keeper!!!
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2011, 08:16:29 pm »

Man, it's horrible.

Stardock: We're going to make a spiritual successor to Master of Magic!
World: YAY!!!!! FINALLY!
Result: FAIL

Dungeon: Spiritual Successor to Dungeon Keeper!
World: YAY!!!! FINALLY!

2K: New X-Com game! Oh, and it's an FPS without any X-com elements at all!!!
World: !!??? YOU SUCK!
RESULT: READY TO FAIL!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 27, 2011, 08:24:34 pm »

Man, it's horrible.

Stardock: We're going to make a spiritual successor to Master of Magic!
World: YAY!!!!! FINALLY!
Result: EPIC FAIL

Dungeon: Spiritual Successor to Dungeon Keeper!
World: YAY!!!! FINALLY!

2K: New X-Com game! Oh, and it's an FPS without any X-Com elements at all!!!
World: *RAGE* YOU SUCK!
RESULT: READY TO FAIL!
Results: Reviving good ol' games with modern game companies should be dumped into the "Bad Idea" category.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 27, 2011, 08:39:36 pm »

So how many people are playing a pirated version? I'm curious because I'm playing the German demo right now, and some of the things people are saying don't seem that bad.

Yes, the first level, meant as an introduction to the mechanics, is kind of badly designed, because heroes take everything from the chest, fill up, and walk out to the exit not 10 feet away. So your dungeon lord has to camp there.

And yes, the skeleton invasions are annoying, but dealt with once you build a few spawns there.

And yes, it makes you question what they were thinking when they tied monster spawns to expanding your influence ring. It makes you build a lot of monster spawns specifically to expand your influence...so they do virtually nothing.

Level 2 is a blank slate compared to the tutorial level. I've gotten things figured out even not being able to read anything, just going on guess work at German. I'm going to hold off saying what I think until a) I get farther in, and honestly b) I get the full, patched, uncracked version.

But one thing people need to get a hold of....a hero leaving your dungeon is not the end of the world. At least on the tutorial level, you get serious money from just one properly milked hero. Yes, it sucks to know they're leaving, but they're not actually stealing resources from you it seems. It's confusing because heroes add to your gold stocks, but don't take away from them. So if they drain a bunch of chests and leave, your goblins will refill them from....nothing. At least that's what I've seen.

I know they had big shoes to fill, but it seems like people are being unnecessarily hard on them, so far. The demo seems pretty solid performance wise to me, and there aren't any glaring bugs that I can tell. Of course I can't read 1/2 the mechanics, so I'll pipe down.

And the "take half the gold and move on" mechanic makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

I suppose it's so they actually wander your dungeon. Secondly, once you get more advanced champions than just the lvl 1 schloobs, you will HAVE to give them more than that. Equipment, libraries, traps. So the first level does an especially bad job, I think, of making you expect more out of the game...because all the player sees is greedy heroes getting the gold immediately and leaving, and they assume that's what all heroes will do later on.

As far as atmosphere, I'm enjoying the game. The detail work is great, the visuals are sweet and hopefully when I get to do things my way, I'll get the DK kind of vibe. Whether or not I enjoy the humor I'm sure will be another story.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:44:55 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 27, 2011, 09:13:06 pm »

You can only hope to compair to Stardock if your CEO freaks the fuck out. Let us all hope for this.
That was the most entertaining aspect of Elemental, by far. I still look back at those ludicrous outbursts with fondness. Oh, and the Elemental "novel" he wrote is probably the worst book written in the last twenty years. Which made the entire meltdown all the greater.

But yes, I'm looking forward to public cries of self-flagellation followed by layoffs and rage, returning eventually to the self-flagellation in a glorious cycle.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 27, 2011, 09:18:31 pm »

Oh, and the Elemental "novel" he wrote is probably the worst book written in the last twenty years.

Categorically impossible. Reason for saying this: Fanfiction.

Your point stands, though. Bad writing makes bad things worse.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:20:46 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 27, 2011, 09:19:56 pm »

Oh, and the Elemental "novel" he wrote is probably the worst book written in the last twenty years.

Categorically impossible. Reason for saying this: Fanfiction.
Error: Most fanfiction is not in book form. Is not in same category.

There was a novel?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2011, 01:02:39 am »

This is certinally not in the same fail category of Elemental. not design wise nor technical wise.

Just had a few sandboxes games (most ended with me dying early, but the last one i had is still going ok), and while there are certinally weak parts in this game, i think that after getting used to the fact that this is not a proper and improved DK2 successor and that you are not running a home for monsters, but a giant trap for heroes, it gets bearable and the potential for fun is there. its certinally better than the campaign levels which i find annoying.

i still find the whole monster spawns instead of rooms mechanic bad, basically meaning they are reduced to no more than the shooting traps in DK2 when you come to think of it. the actuall traps are there not to hold heroes off, but to please them, the monsters are there not to kill heroes, but to please them, the treasuries are not there to keep your gold safe, but to please the heroes, all the rooms except the prison types (so far from what i have built) are not there to fullfill your dungeon needs, but, again, to please the heroes. this makes your dungeon abit mechanical and lifeless, but still, i can visualise a dungeon with all entrances open as a somewhat complicating machine of luring and killing heroes.

There is something beatifull and satisfacting in those kind of creations, like seeing a late spacechem level fully working, or a network of trains with maximised efficiensy in transport tycoon. all the little parts of a bigger machine working together.

So far, Dungeons is not as challenging as spacechem puzzles, so the satisfaction is purely aestethic and not mental, the fact you are greatly rewarded to get your lord to do the killing blow kinda prevents you from the whole sitting back and watching your creation handle itself like in Transport Tycoon or other economy type games, but if you manage to make the heroes from all the gates walking into the same area, getting there almost fully pleased, you can, with the aid of monsters finish them in one area and not having to walk your lord all over the map. but this isnt as straightforward as it could be because you cant fully control the direction or purpose of the heroes and they sometime just turn around and walk randomally to another place, forcing you to run your lord there to kill them before they are even half pleased, because they might stumbe upon newly spawned monsters and kill them before new heroes come to kill them, which will mess things up.

Techincal wise: i had a few CTD, had to turn off blood because it spawned weird black squares where battles took places, had a few corrupted save files and theres a memory leak that slows down the game after a while which can be fixed by exiting to the menu waiting a few seconds and returning to the game, the whole wall hack thing that got mentioned.

So as i said earlier, with very few patches and greatly reduced price (atleast 50%), this is a game i will buy.
this is certinally not a worthy successor to DK2, nor living to its own full potential, but it is also not a major fail like Elememtal.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:32:16 am by burningpet »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2011, 01:36:56 am »

Well, it does seem like good news.

Although the flavour text makes the setting sound like Overlord. Which was neither atmospheric, nor funny. Less "haha lol evehl" and more bad ass evil, please. But that's a minor detail compared to whether or not they'll make it as complex as Dungeon Keeper.

This.  I can manage if the world is a little tongue-in-cheek but it has to be subtle, which isn't something game developers are good with.  Majesty was good about this, Majesty 2 was awful about it.  The whole game was one big joke, and the joke wasn't even funny.  Same with Overlord.

The overlord series is pretty bad, but it is possible to have over-the-top, unsubtle humor without making the evil less badass...

Take "Grand Theft Auto 2" for example; remember the Loonies gang? They were pretty &%$#*@% funny... and brutal.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 28, 2011, 03:51:43 am »

So, Level 2 of the demo.

2 visible entrances, that are basically linked by a main corridor, that branches off to your dungeon heart.

So I build a corridor off one of the entrances, and line it with prestige items, directing heroes away from the corridor that leads to my dungeon heart.

I create a fork in this dummy passage, and place some bats there. Both forks lead to rooms with bat spawns and two treasure piles, and a load of prestige items. The exits to these rooms connect back into one corridor, which has some skeleton spawns and a treasure chest. The exit to this room leads to another like it, with no monsters and a treasure chest. Prestige items tell the heroes where to go, and line the walls of my treasure rooms so they look cool.

I go back and place another bat spawn at the 2nd branch to this dummy wing.

I position my dungeon lord down the hall from the dummy wing, and hero, entrances, around a corner, so that any hero leaving the entrance to go to the dungeon heart, or exit the dungeon, is within spitting distance of him.

The rate of happiness the heroes on the 2nd level get from gold is much, much lower than in the 1st level. The end result of all this is I get the heroes stuck in a sort of loop. They monsters from the nearby rooms aggro, keeping them tied up in combat for a while. They finally clear everything, get a little loot, and start following prestige items. They waste some time looking at them, monsters repop, they do some more fighting, drink their potions, and get a little more gold.

This cycle repeats, and repeats, until finally the heroes are maxed out and, missing most of their hit points, they stagger back to the entrance of the dungeon to leave. And that's when my Dungeon Lord pops out and prangs them.

This strategy basically allowed me to sit back and only have to chase down stragglers and full heroes every couple of minutes. And by chase down I mean, run 1.5 seconds. It seems like only when a TON of heroes were in the dummy wing would new heroes start ignoring the prestige items for places the rest of the adventurers weren't looking. After a while, when I opened the second gate with the same setup, basically, I had at least 8 to 10 heroes running around, all trapped in the dummy wing.

Occasionally monsters would kill the heroes before they were full, and my goblins would pick them up, get their gold, and put them in prison. I may not have been getting all the soul essence from them, but the things you need soul power for aren't super demanding. (Prestige items, some purchaseables from the Dungeon Heart, like your Guardian or higher Goblin capacity)

Prestige item usage actually seems pretty cool. Not only are you using it to guide guys, but its useful for tying them up and keeping them busy so they aren't going everywhere in your dungeon, and it gives your monster spawns time to repop. And there's the whole aesthetic imagination thing, too.

Unfortunately, the level of heroes that comes into your dungeon seems to be tied to your prestige. Luckily, you can buy up the level of all your creatures to the dungeon heart. If you really want to kill heros, you can buy your creature level up way higher than the heroes (although I think it's capped by dungeon prestige), and they'll mow through heroes in large packs. In Lvl 2, at the cap, your monster level was 2 lower than the heroes.

So it should be said, I milked this scenario for all it was worth. With one hero gate open, I racked up thousands of gold and soul essence, with minimal effort on my part. I just had to keep an eye on my minimap, and look for the tell-tale hero icon heading toward the exit icon, to know I had to intervene. Once my supply chain was pretty much guaranteed, I quit paying attention to it and started completing the level objectives.

I think when you let go of the DK II expectations, this game will be enjoyable in its own right. It is far more tycoon like than even I predicted...but there are nice little touches here and there. Adventurers having their own gear, coming into the dungeon with a variety of set ups (2 handed weapons, 2 weapon fighters, pole arm users, sword and shield guys, axe guys...)

After several hours I'm still excited to get my copy, as there is a ton of stuff about the game I can't understand yet (like abilities, spells, scrolls, all the flavor text...) I'm kind of miffed the demo leaves off on what seems to be an open ended level where you lose soul essence every second, and when it runs out, its game over.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 28, 2011, 03:58:18 am »

So, basically, it's theme park in a dungeon like I said? :p

Yeah, not my sort of game, really.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 28, 2011, 04:05:00 am »

So, basically, it's theme park in a dungeon like I said? :p

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, it's been said since the thread was created. :P

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 28, 2011, 05:34:26 am »

Are there many different ways that you can win or are the viable strategy's limited?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 28, 2011, 06:09:50 am »

Buzz ive heard is for a HUGE patch on release day.  I absolutely loved the idea of dungeon keeper, even if the game was a bit flawed.  Personally im gonna wait for a few patches to hopefully work out the crap that seems to be in every game for the first month or 2 and then make my call.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 28, 2011, 06:18:42 am »

Any link to the news about a patch?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 28, 2011, 06:56:06 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had to run it through Google Translate, some of it does not.....translate all that well.

I wonder if German customers are feeling a little bit like guinea pigs at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28