Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37095 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: A New (sort of) Dungeon Keeper!!!
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2010, 03:59:04 pm »

Here's their Gamescon teaser trailer.

http://videos.pcgames.de/v/axSJ2wLBUfm/Dungeons/Gamescom-2010-Teaser-Trailer/

No gameplay yet, sorry folks. And it looks like the game will be quite silly. 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2010, 05:24:41 pm »

Silly is fine, if they can make it good enough. The trailer doesn't look too silly though, it's definitely a lighter mood than Dungeon Keeper though.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2010, 06:51:26 pm »

Well, it really reminded me of the dungeon keeper 1 intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5ODEGR1KQ

And no, that is not youtube that is blurring the video, it's just like that :P

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2010, 07:59:44 pm »

Evil genius is a good inspired by DK game.
I found it pretty funny.
Hopefully dk3 is as good as the other two.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2010, 08:38:32 pm »

Hopefully dk3 Dungeons is as good as the other two.

Fix't. We might as well start minding our IP P's and Q's now. Plus the game is starting to take on a character of its own.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:12:00 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2010, 12:05:01 am »

I found it pretty funny.

If we took out the bugs and altered the world map a little bit that game would be perfect. (It did have awsome music)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2010, 12:07:12 am »

I found it pretty funny.

If we took out the bugs and altered the world map a little bit that game would be perfect. (It did have awsome music)
And made it longer, Evil Genius was FAR too short. There were also some elements of the game that were just terrible.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2010, 07:59:06 am »

A sandbox option would have been real nice.
As in pick from a selection of islands and sizes and be able to control different variables in the game.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2010, 08:00:23 am »

Yeah, the fixed island design really kills the replay value. You can only re-arrange your base design so many ways before you've got nothing left to try.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2010, 02:54:21 pm »

Personally, I thought that the opposition in Evil Genius was terrible.  It was annoying, it just felt...uninteresting.  The super agents were frustrating and boring.  The guys who blew stuff up were annoying and boring.  The guys who snooped around were easy and boring.

I have no idea how to make it more interesting, but it just felt like...there wasn't anything interesting going on with the people who invaded your island.  And if they're not interesting then what made the game interesting?  Building your base?  Well, that's cool until it's built.  You might as well be playing Theme Hospital (which again, is fun...to build.  But once you get your hospital built, you wind up sitting on your thumbs waiting for the objectives to complete).  Hell even Rollercoaster Tycoon had that problem.

How do you take a game that's building-centric, and make it stay interesting after you're done building?  I guess DK came closest.  I liked it a lot when I was fighting someone who had their own dungeon--or when there was a harsh timeline to defend against a threat.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2010, 03:04:25 pm »

Edit: Wrong topic. Ignore this post.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:09:10 pm by Myroc »
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2010, 03:24:05 pm »

Personally, I thought that the opposition in Evil Genius was terrible.  It was annoying, it just felt...uninteresting.  The super agents were frustrating and boring.  The guys who blew stuff up were annoying and boring.  The guys who snooped around were easy and boring.

I have no idea how to make it more interesting, but it just felt like...there wasn't anything interesting going on with the people who invaded your island.  And if they're not interesting then what made the game interesting?  Building your base?  Well, that's cool until it's built.  You might as well be playing Theme Hospital (which again, is fun...to build.  But once you get your hospital built, you wind up sitting on your thumbs waiting for the objectives to complete).  Hell even Rollercoaster Tycoon had that problem.

How do you take a game that's building-centric, and make it stay interesting after you're done building?  I guess DK came closest.  I liked it a lot when I was fighting someone who had their own dungeon--or when there was a harsh timeline to defend against a threat.
This is why Sim City has the "natural" disasters :D

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2010, 03:29:44 pm »

Nah, SimCity just lets you keep building and building.  :D  As you grow larger, more challenges present themselves.  And--this is important!--if you start to have trouble, you can consolidate, rework, or just reduce funding and let people flee the city like rats on a sinking ship until you can build up a small surplus again.  I find the natural disasters to be kind of annoying, because they break that pattern...and because they don't meaningfully chance your city design (oh hey, a tornado took out a chunk of the city, let me just replace it exactly the same way).

In SimCity, many challenges come from the landscape itself.  Like "How will I build in this narrow strip between the river and the mountain".  Planning stuff like that is fun, and I like those challenges in other games too.  The 2d Dwarf Fortress had very similar issues, and was totally awesome:  "How do I fit this stuff between the river and the chasm" and "How do I organize these hallways to defend against semi-constant incursions from chasm monsters".  So attackers are pretty okay, as long as they're a design threat...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2010, 04:10:41 pm »

It is true, some natural disasters are actually quite harmless unless they take down some expencive junk.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2010, 09:43:26 am »

http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6274181/dungeons-impressions/?tag=previews;title;6

NIICE :) It sounds like it's really focussing on being an evil dungeon keeper, sending waves of monsters against heroes in order to achieve your goal.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28