Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37045 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A New (sort of) Dungeon Keeper!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 08:07:30 pm »

You have to direct link the image when using img tags. You can't img a URL.

The image you're trying to post is this URL: http://img51.imageshack.us/img51 which doesn't even work. :P
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 09:46:31 pm »

The internet here crashed city wide for about an hour. Let's try this again

Character art:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dungeon screens:

Just based on the art style, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 09:50:56 pm »

It's... Yep, it's fucking Dungeon Keeper alright.  Well, I'm interested.  But yeah, echoing hopes that they get the character right, but even if they don't just directly copying DK's gameplay with modern technology is a winning plan even if the details don't come out exactly right.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 10:10:24 pm »

Colour me interested, been waiting for someone to come up with this for a while now. I don't expect it to have the same flavour as something borne from molyneux, but yea, still looking forward to it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 10:13:06 pm »

I don't expect it to have the same flavour as something borne from molyneux...

According to the choir, that might be a good thing.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 10:13:28 pm »

Oh man, could this be the thread?  The thread no one comes in and gets butthurt because it won't live up to the old standards?  It already gave Soulwynd a nerdgasm, I think this could be the one.

This game looks pretty awesome bro.

And yeah, Molyneux has lost his mind, keep this as far away from him as possible.
Shoes...

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 10:15:53 pm »

Unfortunely its true, I don't think we'll ever get another black&white or worthy dungeon keeper from him on this lifetime.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 10:20:26 pm »

The thread no one comes in and gets butthurt because it won't live up to the old standards?

Depends. DKII had some fairly sizable holes in it, so you could argue the old standard was incomplete and could be upgraded.

Personally, I'm just a sucker for these kinds of games and the theme is a winner with me. So I'll accept (many? some?) differences if the spirit of the game is intact. I'll leave some room for "WTF were you guys thinking/WTF is this?" but with so much of the game already mapped out in our expectations/their screen shots....yeah. I don't know if I'll need to leave a lot of room for violated expectations.

Although I'll say I'm a little disappointed at the # of creatures they're planning for...(always wished there was more variety in DKII), but that could be easily fixable.

I expect to see some things taken from Evil Genius as well....for example, the Dungeon Lord is an actual character instead of an omnipresent force. Gah, I'm just so stoked for this game.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:27:04 pm by nenjin »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 10:54:42 pm »

I haven't actually played Dungeon Keeper 2, but this looks cool. I'll have to check it out sometime :D

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 10:59:04 pm »

I was actually thinking of starting up a DK project once a suitable editor came out (Warcraft 3 too primitive, Starcraft 2 too restrictive; Heroes of Newerth's is supposed to be viable for full content creation, and I'm too lazy to code from scratch), but this looks freakin' awesome! I loved both of the originals (yes, DK2 was worth it too, to all those naysayers) and was saddened when I saw that Bullfrog had no more plans for this innovative series.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 04:34:20 am »

Is it just me, or does the minimap look absolutely terrible. Everything else looked nice, but the mini map looks like it was put together with construction paper. Otherwise it looks great.

Personally though, I really enjoyed the humor of both DK games (yes they both had alot of it), and overlord. But then again, Im also a huge fan of b movies, and anything absolutely cheesy. Oh well.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 04:48:47 am »

So what if the minimap is ripped straight from Dungeon Keeper? It's virtually a clone of it anyway. They should make some improvements though if they can. It's annoying losing track of where your rooms are.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 05:44:16 am »

Do want.

It looks like I remember the old dk games looking like (which probably means it's actually orders of magnitude prettier).
Certainly looking forward to this.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 06:02:33 am »

Oh hell yes.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 08:56:02 am »

Depends. DKII had some fairly sizable holes in it, so you could
 argue the old standard was incomplete and could be upgraded.

Agreed. Dungeon Keeper felt incomplete to me. Good idea, kind of fun, but not really much fun to play past the first half dozen levels. Hopefully they'll feel free to take creative license with it rather than simply cloning it. But even if they don't, the grapihcs look like an improvement. DK2 looked far too cartoony for the world.

It would be difficult for them to do this badly. It might be good, it might be great, but it seems unlikely that this will be bad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28