Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37034 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: A New (sort of) Dungeon Keeper!!!
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 06:26:15 pm »

I actually think having a fully playable character be at teh core of the action around the dungeon is a good idea.  If you look at the Evil Genius from 'Evil Genius', you mostly stood around and moved too slay to really do anything that mattered.

With having a Dungeon Lord that you can use as a real character (that appearantly levels up with abilities and spells), it makes the game much more accessable to people who enjoy that sort of thing.   I do hope that something like party management is a part of teh game, able to pull other summoned monsters into your que so that you can make strikes against the enemy with your character in the lead.  *Nod nods*
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 06:35:35 pm »

Sorry, but you didn't carry the same avatar there Viken.  (Plus, your presence is not familiar to me.)

And, eh, I don't see myself signing up to that forum anytime soon.

Why remove a fun feature?

EDIT: Seriously, have these people played DKII?  And then having to micromanage the boss to get things done?

Presumably they want to make theirs unique and not wholly plagiarism.  Frankly though, I would prefer it if it was wholesale plagiarism but with updated graphics...  Chris (of their forums) has said that important things will need to be done by the player's avatar himself which sounds extremely dodgy.  It sounds like a design choice they'll regret in the future: this sort of thing never works out.

I whole-heartedly support wholesale plagiarism in this case.
I'd personally prefer it so that the 'Avatar' isn't the only one to do 'important' things... especially when it is a repetitive thing you do over the course of a single game.  Even worse if there is a time limit to doing it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 06:38:42 pm »

Nah, I doubt that'll be the case.  And yea, I literally joined that forum simply to post for Dungeons. lol.  So I ha ven't uploaded my avatar yet.

As for doing all of the important stuff, I doubt that'll be the case.  You'll probably be able to build and the like from an overhead view, and it'll likely be that 'Harvesting' can be done automatically when the Lord doesn't have any other actions to take care of. It'd be nice to have that sort of auto-setting that means you can do other things instead of micro-ing the guy all of the time. *Nod nods*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 06:40:22 pm »

We're not going to have to wait long on a video trailer or feedback with a playable build either; both will be Gamescon which is happening in a week.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2010, 06:47:29 pm »

Sounds good, Nenjin. I wonder how many of us will drool just at the look. XD I probably won't nerdgasm, but I'll probably come damned close. 

Ooh, another thought! I hope they allow a real modding system to be implimented into the custom games.  Now that could prove interesting.  ;D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 06:54:03 pm »

I'm not staking my money on any mod capability. They're an indie small dev house with a so-so track record, and they look like they're fully absorbed in getting the main game right. You never know though. Fans are resourceful bastards.

Re: Dungeon Lord doing stuff.

Go check out MudTV for a quasi preview of what that looks like. Some reviews I read singled that out as one thing that really brought the game down, because they had to do many of the things of consequence in that game. Other characters like writers though also stuck to their task to produce something necessary for game play. So hopefully they learned from MudTV and have dialed it back to a point where it's not obnoxious. Considering your DL is a combat unit too, I'm sure they don't want you totally consumed with management things.

But I'd prepare to have your attention focused on your DL...because if he's not killing heroes, or stealing their life energy, he's probably going to be directing some other activity.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 07:19:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2010, 09:39:30 am »

But I'd prepare to have your attention focused on your DL...because if he's not killing heroes, or stealing their life energy, he's probably going to be directing some other activity.
Like hitting imps or getting himself killed :P

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2010, 11:38:35 am »

Its been stated that if your DL gets killed, you can ressurrect him at the Dungeon Heart. XD And he is your most effective combat character with upgradeable stats from the use of the Soul Energy to harvest from those poor, unsuspecting goody-goody guys.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2010, 01:43:59 pm »

That doesn't mean he CAN'T get himself killed, it just means it's less of an annoyance if he does :P

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2010, 05:09:40 pm »

Which all equals more FUN! We're all a DF fan, so death + horrible situation + funny death sounds = FUNNNNN!   8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2010, 05:19:05 pm »

Fight -> Death -> Resurrect at Dungeon Heart -> Walk Back Through Dungeon to Hero Incursion -> Repeat

There's a difference between a hilarious failure and a hitch during a chore.  I really don't like the sound of having certain types of resource collection be something only the Dungeon Lord can do.  I don't really mind stuff like banishment or special rituals or whatnot that the only the DL can do, but mining hero deposits for soul bricks?  I'd really like to see how that could be anything more than an annoyance.

And we had damn well better be able to teleport.  If we have to walk everywhere...  This thing'll be dead before it even starts.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2010, 05:34:54 pm »

I'm not quite certain that the DL is the only being able to harvest the soul energy.  From what has been stated, you capture a hero, and the more horrible the prison/cell/torture chamber, the more you get, rather over time or after every month like DKII's 'Its Pay Time' worked.  I just honestly don't know.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2010, 05:40:27 pm »

Is there any proof the DL can just resurrect right away if he dies?  A time limit or a large resource expenditure can easily balance it back out.
Shoes...

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2010, 05:44:28 pm »

Unknown at the moment, Cthulhu.  Sadly, that's all we know is that the DL can be ressurrected if he is killed as a character.  Though I assume there will be time limits and massive resource usage to resurrect.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2010, 07:53:14 pm »

Bumpy Bumpy. This should stay at the head!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28