Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37041 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: A New (sort of) Dungeon Keeper!!!
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2010, 02:52:36 am »

I don't suppose there's any way to deal with enemies besides killing them is there?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2010, 04:58:01 am »

Since they want you to imprison and/or torture them, I'd assume yes. It might be like DKII, in that if there are recently beaten guys and space in your cells, they automatically get taken there...and if you don't do it soon enough, they die.

I got some clarification from a dev on a few points too.

Nenjin Wrote:  -Are there multiple dungeon levels within each dungeon? Does that apply only to custom games, or is it true for each level of the campaign as well?

Some campaign levels offer more than one dungeon level. We aren't sure about them in a custom game at the moment.

(Yesterday 07:11 PM) - Nenjin Wrote:  -How do heroes figure into things? The news blurb mentions harvesting their soul energy. Are heroes part of your resourcing model?

Yes, heroes are a VERY important ressource since they carry gold and soul energy.

(Yesterday 07:11 PM) - Nenjin Wrote:  -How active a role does your Dungeon Lord play in the game?

The player has direct control over his Dungeon Lord. This is very essential for the game as his Lord has to take several actions personally (e.g. harvesting heroes). The Dungeon Lord is also the most effective combat unit the player has.

Yesterday 07:11 PM -Nenjin Wrote:  -Along with that, do we still have a "Dungeon Heart", or a structure that when destroyed causes us to lose the game? Or has that been changed to the Dungeon Lord, who if he dies causes the game to end?

If your Dungeon Heart is destroyed then you loose the game. If your Dungeon Lord dies, he can be ressurected through his Dungeon Heart.

What I like: Heroes as a resource. It implies they'll be an unending source of gold, which was one of my gripes from DKII. Some levels didn't have gem deposits and it took a lot of create gold to really fill your treasuries. So that sounds kind of cool.

What I don't necessarily like: Your DL has to "do stuff" personally. This is a mechanic they used in MudTV. Your leader has to personally attend to a lot of stuff, meaning you will be walking them around a lot instead of being omnipresent. And as I read that, he has to personally tap heroes for their soul energy...which sounds a little "meh" to me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:16:09 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2010, 05:34:17 am »

:o this sounds relevant to my interests...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2010, 05:40:37 am »

Can you corrupt heroes to your side?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2010, 06:43:35 am »

I played Dungeon Keeper a fair bit.

Exciting to hear that the genere didn't die out yet :o

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 10:01:52 am »

I didn't like DK1 much. DK2 was awesome though, but possession was overpowered, "Horny" lasted too short and didn't really feel that powerful, and there was way too much innuendo. Also, I didn't really like how the gold and gems mining worked or having to build stuff in the workshops.. and it did seem a bit odd that trolls are weak creatures who are mechanically skilled.

Yeah, I'd look forward to another game from the same genre. I was thinking of making one, but got lazy because I couldn't get the mining/room code working :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2010, 04:26:14 pm »

I like both DK1 and DK2 for their own respective quirks.  I liked how creatures in DK1 would grow in size as they leveled up, I liked how you could fully summon one or more horned reapers so long as you created special little zones for them to live in and keep calm, and I actually liked how the workshop was handled.  Yes, the workshop in DK2 was far more precise and would only build what you had a use for, but it also meant that you would have to wait for something to be built and your trolls would frequently be hanging around with nothing to do. 

And I did like that things were made in the workshop, in both games.  It meant you would have to sacrifice pure combat capability in order to make room for defensive traps, doors, and the like.

The trolls in DK2 have a very special place in my heart for being the disgusting, ornery, pathetically weak little dudes they were.  Few things lightened my day more than watching that little snotskin waddling around on his secret business, grumbling and grunting all the way.  Yes, so they were cut down by little more than a dwarf, but they were still lovely little dudes.  And setting up a workshop specially constructed for use by bile demons, while it had its own appeal, didn't really have the same versatility as the troll's better movement.

I really liked the different environments in DK1.  I was practically giddy when I came across the first snow levels.  I also liked how slapping someone was really a very handy (har har) tool, unlike in DK2 where it didn't provide enough of a boost to make up for the slide and delay after hitting someone.  Heck, in DK1, you could even set up an "autoslap" to whack all your imps and keep them working their little buns off.  DK1 also had internal conflicts which, although a nuisance, added that extra little flavor to your dungeon.

I feel that both titles have their own strengths and weaknesses.  Neither one is really a dungeon sim, but very few game devs are enlightened enough to view simulations of that sort to be as awesome as they are.

Or rather, I should say that most mainstream buyers aren't enlightened enough...

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2010, 04:40:43 pm »

I really hope this new game works well. Its been far too long sense I could play DKII, with all of the compatibility issues with Vista and then Windows 7.  But I do enjoy the fact that 'harvesting' the Goody-Goody Minions is a real, major part of the economy of the game.  It gives you a reason to capture them alive instead of killing them outright.

As for the Leadering being a very real and usable character, I hope that plays out like an RPG, using him to drain the soul energy from good guys in order to power himself up with buffs and bonus'.  Its already been revealed that he's also your strongest, most effective fighter of the group, so that's cool.  I do hope that his 'spells' are far-reaching and massive. *Nod nods* Being able to collaspse an opponents walls and buildings would be awesome. Haha.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2010, 05:41:03 pm »

Nenjin Wrote:  Could you elaborate on what Soul Energy does? Is it primarily for spell casting? And will we be able to convert heroes to our side?

Soul Energy is a ressource that you need to create workers and building several important things in your dungeon.
Converting heroes is not possible but we're still thinking about it.

That seems like a little bit of an oversight considering how much of DKII is being ripped straight from the game. Then again, converted heroes weren't really all that great to begin with. They were always bitchy and needed special accommodations.

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2010, 05:44:10 pm »

I loved to convert heroes, they were always the first to go into a fight :D

Plus a couple of them had decent power.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2010, 05:47:19 pm »

Here's the link to like, the only thread of substance on their forums about Dungeons, where I'm dropping all my questions.

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=5836&pid=54026#pid54026

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 06:06:35 pm »

Here's the link to like, the only thread of substance on their forums about Dungeons, where I'm dropping all my questions.

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=5836&pid=54026#pid54026

Tell Viken for me: Leave it as it was in DKII, players have the option to choose to convert the heroes or to just let the heroes(and minions) die and become zombies/skeletons and vampire food.

Why remove a fun feature?

EDIT: Seriously, have these people played DKII?  And then having to micromanage the boss to get things done?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:09:18 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 06:15:03 pm »

Zangi, I am right here, you know. lol. I tend to use this name for all of my accounts and stuff. Makes it easier to remember that way.  :P

But it was only suggestions.  DKII is a classic, no doubt, but would you really want a clone with all of the original problems or something more innovative that still retains the original dark humor and creepeh substance that the original had? lol. 

Anyway, I do hope there is more building and trap design in this one, simular to how it was in Evil Genius.  Being able to knock out good guys with various traps would be awesome.   8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 06:18:17 pm »

No wai, if you wanna debate him, go register. I wanna give these guys a little bump, because I think they're project is worth it! It's not polite to talk about people while they're right here ZANGI.

Some more dev replies for you aspiring Dungeon Lords:

Quote from: Korbinian
* Some question why the mini-map is like, 8-bit.
      Heh, the minimap from the screenshots is of course just a preliminary version, and indeed just color blobs. Will be redone completely.
    * Many are concerned with sound engineering. The SFX and atmospheric sound of DKII sold a lot of the game to players. Here's to hoping it's just as good if not better.
      We have a great studio working on sound and music for the game. It's not integrated yet, but from what I've heard so far I'm convinced it will be as good as we all hope. The studio is very enthusiastic about working on Dungeons. You can get a first impression from the teaser trailer shown on the GamesCom (and, I presume, released online afterwards).
    * As an English speaker, I hope the localization is good.
      English localization will be done by the same studio that translated Ceville, which was very good, as far as I heard and could judge myself.

And:

Quote from: Chris@Realmforge
Viken Wrote:  I do have a question though; as its stated several times that you'll be capturing these Goody-Goody Guys to drain their Soul Energy; but for what? Do they provide the magic energy need to use world-shattering spells and magical abilities like those found in DKII?

The main use of Soul Energy is that you can build special items which make your Dungeon Lord more powerful (in every aspect). You gain more hit points, deal more damage, have more mana, cast migthier spells and so on.

So Soul Energy seems to be a weird mix of building resource, crafting resource and leveling resource. Hrm...I guess that means either gold is only a part resource for buildings, or is used entirely to pay your minions.

But it was only suggestions.  DKII is a classic, no doubt, but would you really want a clone with all of the original problems or something more innovative that still retains the original dark humor and creepeh substance that the original had? lol. 

There were no real problems with converting heroes in DKII. It was, other than Skeles, Vampires and map information, the only real thing to do with them. So I don't see a problem per se putting that in Dungeons, other than Heroes have a completely different use here than in DKII. Perhaps they don't want you trying to convert your resources into minions....but with 10 NPC character classes, it sort of BEGS to let us convert them and add their skills to our dungeon repertoire.

I'm guessing it's one of those DKII aspects that they just didn't think about, because they're crafting their own hero model. Would I truly miss them? No, not really. But it seems like a trivial thing to add. They don't even need to be that strong, considering who and what your DL will be.

As an aside, I hope there is some of the personality matching challenges of DKII. It was always kind of funny that some monsters had preferences for who they had to sleep next to.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:26:30 pm by nenjin »

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2010, 06:18:30 pm »

Why remove a fun feature?

EDIT: Seriously, have these people played DKII?  And then having to micromanage the boss to get things done?

Presumably they want to make theirs unique and not wholly plagiarism.  Frankly though, I would prefer it if it was wholesale plagiarism but with updated graphics...  Chris (of their forums) has said that important things will need to be done by the player's avatar himself which sounds extremely dodgy.  It sounds like a design choice they'll regret in the future: this sort of thing never works out.
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28