Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37098 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A New (sort of) Dungeon Keeper!!!
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2011, 04:43:53 pm »

as for MUD TV, it was supposed to finally be the remake of MAD TV 2 in English we have been waiting for, but instead they made Evil Genius inside a tv station, without all of the fun. Instead of changing the mechanics so much they should have just updated the graphics and made it moddable.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2011, 04:45:31 pm »

Sadly, I find it hard to be too surprised. "Make the perfect dungeon for adventurers, feeding them treasure whose sole purpose is to be looted and monsters whose sole purpose is to be killed until they try to leave, then punk them with your hero" isn't very Dungeon Keepery to begin with. To be blunt, it also sounds very unimaginative, like they wanted to figure out how to make it more dungeon and less fortress, and came to the obvious conclusion that you want the adventurers to succeed.

Then again, I never had much hope for it based on that alone; it's hard to say how much of the technical side and successfully pulling off the concept are related to lack of ingenuity or having a "bad" concept to begin with.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 27, 2011, 04:51:52 pm »

So on the technical side, where is it failing?

As for the design....I think the major difference that will disappoint people is the strength of their monsters. People enjoyed sending their monsters out to fight and having them win. I once said on the forums, a long time ago, that if it ended up being like MudTV where your DL has to do EVERYTHING, it was going to get annoying fast. Apparently, they didn't think so.

I'm pretty tempted to pirate this rather than wait a week for Steam to unlock my copy.

Keep the reviews coming though. I'm waiting to see exactly how far short of the mark the game falls. Humor aside, is the atmosphere even done well?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 27, 2011, 05:36:27 pm »

Yeah, I think they've messed this up badly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2011, 05:56:24 pm »

Here's a DL link to the German Demo, for those that cannot wait to see how (bad?) the game is.

http://www.worthdownloading.com/game.php?gid=4835

I made it about 5 minutes into it, but there are so many tool tips in German that I kind don't want to feel my way blind through the tutorial just to get a sneak peek.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2011, 07:06:37 pm »

I've been playing this for a bit and I'm currently on the third campaign mission. This game is extremely poor, practically everything is badly designed. It's like they released it a year early without testing any of the mechanics, or actually playing it at all. A lot of the mechanics don't even work. The concept itself is pretty good, but these developers didn't even come close to bringing the idea to its full potential.

Ok, so I get the concept of being the lord of a dungeon. The evil thing at the bottom of the cavern that's trying to kill the hero. But this is just.. terrible. Bad. Terribad. First of all prestige items (decorations that are supposed to lure enemies about) don't seem to  work very well at all. Sometimes a hero will even turn around and go right back out the way he walked in, regardless of what you've placed and where. This happens with gold, too. And the "take half the gold and move on" mechanic makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Secondly, Enemies will 'aggro' the hero through walls, making the designing process of the dungeon a nightmare. And while the timer on the hero gates is continually ticking down, you're given little annoying side quests that you need to complete at the same time, almost guaranteeing that heroes will escape or even reach the dungeon heart.
Oh, and the combat itself? Laughable. Most of the time after engaging a hero head on you'll not even face the right way. You'd be better off rolling two dice and slamming your face into a wall.

I mean I can just keep listing thing after thing, but it's no use. The list will never end. While I understand completely that it's still very early, most of these issues are just embarrassing. No manner of patch can fix this gameplay.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:11:04 pm by debvon »

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2011, 07:17:29 pm »

So, debvon, what you're saying is that they've completely fucked up the core mechanics in a way that's completely unfixable? Sad really.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2011, 07:20:48 pm »

Ha ha! Surprise surprise! ;) I feel pity for da fools who paid 45e for a toy that doesn't work.

It's impossible to live up to the legacy left by DK2, but hey, at least thumbs up for them trying. Keep 'em coming and I'm sure eventually one of them will do the trick.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2011, 07:25:08 pm »

It seemed interesting, But it was so dull that i didn't even finish the first level.
You place monster spawners(pentagrams) to expand your area of influence which within you can build stuff.
The monsters aren't capable of killing the heroes and i guess it was just because it was the first level, but the hero went in though the gates walked a few steps to a already placed treasure chest, looted and left.
Oh? so my avatar weren't near because you were doing whatever objective you're supposed to be doing? well bohoho, now the hero left with the money because the monsters that just hang around their spawn suck.
No. I do not want to make a theme park dungeon with things to see on in straight line and leave my Avatar standing round the corner by the gate, waiting for the happy tourist to head back to the exit.

tl;dl
The main 'feature' of the game was what irritated me the most =P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2011, 07:40:31 pm »

So to summarize, this ended up as a failure? :(
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2011, 07:41:54 pm »

The real question is not is it a failure. The real question is: Is it's failure greater than, equal to, or lesser than Stardock's Elemental?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2011, 07:52:52 pm »

The whole wallhacking thing is supposedly fixed with the first update (on release day, of course, hurr durr)

I think this has potential with some tweaking. But not at the cost of 45€.
I feel most full price games just suck compared to the depth and gameplay we see in various free or cheap indie games, so thats no surprise out of me.

What you had on your mind up there, with the first level, is just plain suck provided by the intentionally poor design. you get to place the chests yourself later on, farther away from the escape door.

In general, there is something here. We have a beautiful Dungeon to be stuffed with nice / "terrifying" decorations.
Heroes come in looking for a beating, gold, equipment, knowledge, traps and stuff to kill (combinations of this).
Sadly they're stubborn bastards and the system with which you are to lure them about is not tight enough to provide you with the confidence you would expect as a dungeon lord.
Also i find the mechanic of YOU as a player having to run around and manually knock the guys out annoying. With the ensuing chaos caused by the malfunction hero luring, its just a giant massacre instead of a surgical killing of fully satisfied heroes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:56:03 pm by Lord Snow »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2011, 08:04:12 pm »

The real question is not is it a failure. The real question is: Is it's failure greater than, equal to, or lesser than Stardock's Elemental?
Good question, Elemental is pretty much the Final Boss of failure launch product. What would this rank as?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2011, 08:12:42 pm »

You can only hope to compair to Stardock if your CEO freaks the fuck out. Let us all hope for this.

I almost pre-orderd Dungeons, but it was the Elemental experience that turned me off. Is it really as bad as you guys are saying, or do you just dislike the setting/lack of good Dungeon Keeper qualities?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2011, 08:15:21 pm »

Good question, Elemental is pretty much the Final Boss of failure launch product. What would this rank as?
Uh.. Imagine a slime in the size of a fist getting called a boss, which you step on by accident on the way to the loot on the other side of the room and then forget about because the treasure chest was empty.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28