Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 37108 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A New (sort of) Dungeon Keeper!!!
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2011, 12:56:53 am »

Just remember:  Hospital Tycoon is a bad game and you will feel bad if you buy it

Really? I loved that game

No wait... Sorry I am thinking of Theme Hospital the much better game.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:36 am »

:O

That.  Is the most.  awesome.  game.  EVER.

Really? I mean... really..?

Here I thought the fun of being dungeon master was making the life of your adversaries miserable. Not to... um.. satisfy their needs to.. um.. trip traps? I mean... WHAT??? :D Previews really don't seem that impressive.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2011, 02:11:46 am »

Just remember:  Hospital Tycoon is a bad game and you will feel bad if you buy it

Really? I loved that game

No wait... Sorry I am thinking of Theme Hospital the much better game.
Yeah, like I said.  Don't make the mistake of going "Hospital Tycoon?  That has to be just as good!"

Just don't.  Not to experiment, not if you have money to burn, not even as a joke.

MUD TV:  Well it's, uh, different.  If you want a tycoonish game I guess it kind of works.  It must have been experimental and it shows.  You actually have an avatar and you walk around your TV station; you go into rooms to interact with them.  The interface isn't that bad but it does seem kind of muddy, like it would have been simpler if they just uh...did it the way every other game does.  The complicated interface conceals a simplistic game that doesn't seem like it has much depth, but at least it's better than that HORRIBLE movie-maker game.  No I'm not talking about "The Movies".  There was one I saw that didn't have any graphics, it was just...just...um.  Well let's just say there's only so far you can go in this genre.

In any case MUD TV doesn't give you much room for creativity.  One of the best parts of Theme Hospital gameplay and indeed the Sims games were that they're all about workflow management:  putting the right rooms in the right places so that people flow smoothly from place to place, then watching as your smoothly oiled machine operates.  MUD TV doesn't have much flowing from place to place really, and is very hands on in a mediocre way.

It's still the best entry in the 'TV station tycoon' genre, at least.

Anyway, I just got through the tutorial so far.  I'm not sure if it gets any deeper than what I saw.  It does at least have multiplayer, so hey.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #213 on: January 18, 2011, 02:22:33 am »

MUD TV: ... The interface isn't that bad but it does seem kind of muddy...
Hehe.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2011, 05:39:09 am »

I can't stop playing.  If you need a Tycoon fix, it's worth it.  It won't be a legendary game for the ages, but it's good enough for now.  :D  It moves from being 'irritating' to 'somehow fast-paced', though I suppose that's partly just fake complexity.  Still, my level of idleness seems on par with Theme Hospital and Evil Genius both.  There's less expansion and more fiddly bits, but still.  Like I said, it's good as a quick fix to tide you over, and you can surely find a few days' worth of gameplay, which is a lot more than nothing.  If you plan to get Dungeons eventually anyway, you might as well get it while it's a package deal.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:04:27 am by Sowelu »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2011, 06:25:27 am »

I already got MUD TV as I liked the idea, but I just found the game frustratingly dull. Having to move the guy around all the time was just white-space movement and bugged me. Rather just been able to run the station without him and jump between rooms or something.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2011, 02:40:41 pm »

I don't think I'm going to even bother installing MudTV. Heard too many bad things about the game, and don't crave the tycooniness that makes the game worth playing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2011, 02:53:07 pm »

To me, this seems less like Dungeon Keeper and more like Hospital Tycoon in a medical setting.
Wouldn't that be um... Hospital Tycoon?

I meant "Theme Hospital in a dungeon setting". :p

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 18, 2011, 03:09:06 pm »

Man, if I ever do a Dungeons LP, I'm going to have to paste the Theme Hospital soundtrack overtop of it.  SO CATCHY

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2011, 04:14:16 pm »

The game has been released in germany.

They kinda overpriced it in my opinion (in Europe). thankfully we can now "test before we buy", and so far the game just doesnt seem to worth it. (40 euros)

Soulless, forced dull humor, unoptimised, and so far from what i have seen (played 3 levels) the only good parts about it are the dungeon keeper knock off parts which sadly gets overshadowed by the really bad new mechanics additions, mainly the fact that you have to keep go back and forth with your dungeon lord to go kill the heroes. if any of you played M.U.D TV, remember the bad parts about it, now project them on Dungeons and there you have it.

It will take a few patches and a major discount before i buy it.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2011, 04:16:51 pm »

I agree.
It's boring.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:50 pm »

*sigh* So many games have great promise, only to let us down when they're finally released.

It's cruel, really.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2011, 04:32:35 pm »

The game has been released in germany.

They kinda overpriced it in my opinion (in Europe). thankfully we can now "test before we buy", and so far the game just doesnt seem to worth it. (40 euros)

Soulless, forced dull humor, unoptimised, and so far from what i have seen (played 3 levels) the only good parts about it are the dungeon keeper knock off parts which sadly gets overshadowed by the really bad new mechanics additions, mainly the fact that you have to keep go back and forth with your dungeon lord to go kill the heroes. if any of you played M.U.D TV, remember the bad parts about it, now project them on Dungeons and there you have it.

It will take a few patches and a major discount before i buy it.

OOof.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2011, 04:34:23 pm »

Ouch. Looks like I'm not getting this, then.

Sadly, I'm sure the company that made it will just be like "It's because there's no room in the market for a Dungeon Keeper-esque game. This is because no one likes that game." or something like that, instead of truly admitting their faults.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2011, 04:40:56 pm »

If it's as bad as some are saying....I don't think it's anything like that. More, they have a game play design they think is fun, and it's not. I was hoping they learned from MudTV....but apparently they didn't.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28