Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma sea + river = steam + magma, no obsidian?  (Read 680 times)

Harbinger67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma sea + river = steam + magma, no obsidian?
« on: August 12, 2010, 03:27:27 pm »

So I've been working on extracting as much adamantine as possible from a vein found near my magma sea (where else?) but I've run into a pretty frustrating problem.

The way I'm doing this is I've dug a 2x3 pipe from the river on the surface all the way down to a chamber just above the adamantine and magma sea.  At the top and bottom of pipe are floodgates, and the floor of the chamber is made up of several retractable bridges that form a square big enough to encompass the entire adamantine vein.  Fill chamber with water, retract bridge, sploosh goes the water onto the magma below, encasing one z-level of the adamantine vein in obsidian and forming a protective barrier from the magma so my dwarves can channel down and mine out both the new obsidian and the adamantine.  Simple, right?

Not really.  Physics have broken.  The setup worked like a charm on the first level of the vein, but the second level will not cooperate.  Half the magma has turned to obsidian as it should, but the other half simply will not change.  No matter how much water I throw at it, it just makes a lot of steam and the magma inside the chamber, outside the chamber, and for at least one z-level below the chamber goes nuts and starts flowing all over the place, only settling down once all the water has turned to steam.  The only out-of-the-ordinary thing I can see that might have some effect is that there is a floor of semi-molten rock directly below the magma that won't turn to obsidian.

Is this a common problem, or is my game just being difficult?  I've been working on this for over a week and I've tried everything from increasing the flow of water to digging out a massive chamber to displace some of the magma into, just in case it was some weird pressure issue.  Nothing has worked.  Help?

I can provide screenshots if requested, but for some reason I can't get the 'record movie' function to work in-game :(

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Magma sea + river = steam + magma, no obsidian?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 03:30:20 pm »

Semi molten rock absorbs anything that falls on it in a cave in.

Also of note, cast obsidian falls until it hits something below it. It won't stick to a wall beside it.

So yeah, you can't make obsidian out of magma that's directly over semi molten rock.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Harbinger67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:36:16 pm »

Damn...that's a buzzkill :\ I was really excited to mine an entire adamantine vein, safely.

*edit*

Almost forgot...  Thanks!  I've already got a few ideas for how to get around this problem; probably won't work but at least I'll have fun trying :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:24:42 pm by Harbinger67 »

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:02:58 pm »

Also of note, cast obsidian falls until it hits something below it. It won't stick to a wall beside it.
Yes it does. That's how I built a tunnel that went through a volcano.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 05:16:39 pm »

Confirming that the created obsidian does stick to wichever wall it's next to.
It's perfectly possible to encase the adamantine in obsidian if you can get the water there afaik.

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 06:38:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 07:02:24 pm »

Diggy diggy hole.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 07:32:46 pm »

Yes it does. That's how I built a tunnel that went through a volcano.

Technically, it will only stick to a nearby wall if it forms against that wall - if there are no nearby walls when it forms, it will cave-in and disappear once it falls into the magma flow.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:46:08 pm »