Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suicide booths - detailed explanations wanted.  (Read 1585 times)

revereddesecration

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Suicide booths - detailed explanations wanted.
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:17:21 am »

I'm fairly new to DF, having played a maximum estimate of 50 hours, and I'm noticing that I'm receiving too many immigrants. I can't seem to sustain them. I know there are ways to minimise migrant appearances and ways to keep them productive, but for now I'd rather stay within my comfort zone of no more than 20 dwarves.

I need a way to remove any unwanted dwarves from the lunch line.

I've heard of a few methods but I'm having trouble getting them to work. Maybe I'm slow, maybe it's complex, maybe I'm just missing something. Is anybody willing to share with me their favourite suicide booth setups, preferably with a diagram and explanation?

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide booths - detailed explanations wanted.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 06:27:56 am »

You could always use them as goblin bait. I don't know though, I always either keep my migrants or set the pop cap lower.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:41:47 am »

unless it's someone who has earned an extraordinary death through failure, i generally just put a door on their bedroom and forbid it when they go in there.

Simple and effective.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 06:43:38 am »

These are extremely detailed explanations.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:46:04 am »

Build a raising bridge, link the bridge to leveler, make a burrow on the bridge, raise bridge, assign freeloaders to the burrow, wait until a few bums have moved there, lower the bridge.

Alternatively, build a retracting bridge over lava and make a burrow there.

What is so difficult about this?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:48:01 am by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 06:46:47 am »

For a real suicide booth, build a tiny room with a lever inside that controls the door. In the manager profile of the lever, restrict it to the dwarf who should die, and then have him pull it. Door slams shut, unopenable except by pulling the lever again or removing the door. As you advance in dwarfyness you could have the room fill with water, lava, goblins, elephants, or whatever you prefer at the time.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 06:50:41 am »

An army of baboons is preferable, if you have access to them.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:52:19 am »

okay, here's a picture:
______
|........|
|...........<-----DOOR GOES HERE
|_____|

when they go inside to sleep or whatever, just set the door to forbid anyone passing through it at all. No pets, no people, nothing. You can control who goes in and out of a door by hitting q and moving the cursor near it, then hitting l and o once.

[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:02:12 am »

I've been toying with this particular automatic immigrant (anydwarf) destroyer.

= wall
o plate linked to bridge
- bridge
// door
O burrow

=======
//o---O=
=======

once the plate is triggered the dwarf falls to it's doom, hitting a plate at the bottom of the pit that resets the bridge. saves lots of time.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:54:25 am by Macalano »

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:08:00 am »

I like having an aesthetically pleasing execution chamber - most of the time it's an innocent artificial waterfall to admire (dwarves love the mist it generates). This becomes lethal either by turning off drainage or - more technically sweet in my opinion - by turning pressure on and off for the inflow while having a diagonally connected drainage system.

revereddesecration

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:46:17 am »

I have not yet looked into bridges. I haven't needed to. I shall.

For a real suicide booth, build a tiny room with a lever inside that controls the door. In the manager profile of the lever, restrict it to the dwarf who should die, and then have him pull it. Door slams shut, unopenable except by pulling the lever again or removing the door. As you advance in dwarfyness you could have the room fill with water, lava, goblins, elephants, or whatever you prefer at the time.
Just sealing them in a room to die is boring though. I'll look into filling the room.

= wall
o plate linked to bridge
- bridge
// door
O burrow

=======
//o---O=
=======
That's what I was looking for in terms of explanation, thankyou Macalano.

I like having an aesthetically pleasing execution chamber - most of the time it's an innocent artificial waterfall to admire (dwarves love the mist it generates). This becomes lethal either by turning off drainage or - more technically sweet in my opinion - by turning pressure on and off for the inflow while having a diagonally connected drainage system.
I wouldn't know how to set up an artificial waterfall or drainage system. Where does the water drain to? An evaporation tank of off the map? And what's the significance of the diagonality?

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 07:53:51 am »

I have not yet looked into bridges. I haven't needed to. I shall.

Just sealing them in a room to die is boring though. I'll look into filling the room.

= wall
o plate linked to bridge
- bridge
// door
O burrow

=======
//o---O=
=======
That's what I was looking for in terms of explanation, thankyou Macalano.

I wouldn't know how to set up an artificial waterfall or drainage system. Where does the water drain to? An evaporation tank of off the map? And what's the significance of the diagonality?

You'll have to work out the kinks. Sometimes the plates dont trigger soon enough or late enough. Theres no turn-delay option.

revereddesecration

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 07:59:40 am »

Theoretically, would making a longer bridge fix that?

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 08:11:23 am »

Theoretically, would making a longer bridge fix that?

Maybe. I'm inexperienced with mechanisms and machines, I usually do everything in a very base way.

But I'll tell you the other full-proof way to kill unneeded immigrants...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this is over a river, but if there isnt a river available you can build a small channel (any depth) under the bridge.
they'll just die slower depending on what you put under the bridge.

1. link the bridge to a lever
2. order immigrants (via burrow) to stand on the bridge
3. pull that lever
4. wonder why you dont feel guilty pull the lever again to reset the bridge
5. repeat as needed

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 08:50:54 am »

Fluid can be pressurised by pumps, water can also be pressurised by having more water sit on top of it. Fluid under pressure tries to find an empty space to go to, teleporting through other fluid-filled tiles. So if you pour water into a U-bend, both sides will have the same water level, magma would just fill the bottom and refuse to rise up the other side unless you use a pump.
Pressure-based fluid teleportation does not use diagnoal connections, so you can control it.

Code: [Select]
##########

#### +####
#####+####
    # #

View from above. The east/west pipe is your main water line, carrying pressurised water (Connected to a river or reservoir on a higher z-level). Two doors hooked up to levers regulate the water flow to the south. In normal operation, the top door is closed and the bottom door open - you draw water to feed your pretty waterfall, but there is no orthogonal connection. So pressure keeps the main line filled, and the depth gradient will keep the waterfall in action with a nice and steady flow.
The bottom door toggles water flow on and off, the top door turns pressure on and off. If both doors are open, you have a direct connection and fluid will teleport through your pipe to the south at an alarming rate rather than flowing leisurely.

You have a lot of options for getting rid of the water - a pipe leading off the map or into an acquifer, an everburning bin and so on; some people just dump water in the caverns and figure it's the problem of the denizens below.
At the bottom of our multi-level waterfall chamber, you could use a similar system as for the inflow. Again, with the default setting being 'flow on, pressure off'. diagnoal connection means your sewage system won't flow back up into your rooms if you have several similar installations in parallel and get overexcited with some.

Does this make sense? Not detailed enough an explanation, or am I repeating the obvious ad nauseam?
Pages: [1] 2