Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dying of thirst but gosh my stockyard has tight logistics!  (Read 659 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dying of thirst but gosh my stockyard has tight logistics!
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:38:56 am »

Can you reserve a certain number of barrels for drink use ONLY?  It happens a lot that I produce a lot of food, and all my barrels get taken up by packing food tightly (even though I have lots of room) and my lads end up dying of thirst.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
Re: Dying of thirst but gosh my stockyard has tight logistics!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:51:33 am »

In the stock'p'ile menu you can use the reserved barrels(I think it's + and -) option to dedicate a certain number of barrels to use in workshops. You can also set your food stockpiles to have a lower maximum number barrels each in their q menus. The first option is easier if you have multiple stockpiles, as you don't have to change each one individually.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:54:00 am »

So I'd have to have a drink stockpile (food pile set to only allow drinks I suppose) and then assign a minimum number of barrels to that?  Is that how it works?  Thanks, that's very helpful!

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 02:20:25 am »

There isn't an option for a minimum number of barrels. The simplest method would just be to change the reserved barrels option from the stockpile menu. It isn't applied to a specific stockpile, just your stuff in general so you don't need to place any new stockpiles.

In the worst case scenario that neither of the stockpile options work, open the loo'k' menu, move the cursor over some of the barrels in your stockpiles, then press enter, then select each item inside them in turn, pressing enter then d on each one. If you have a garbage zone placed, your dwarves will pull your food and stuff out of the barrels and throw it out. Also, make more barrels. You never have too many barrels. Ever.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 02:34:40 am »

Yeah I see what you mean - seems you are MUCH better off if you set this up in the first place, because I started with a single pile for all forms of food I now have all the barrels assigned to the one pile and none are available for the new drink-only pile.  This does what I want though, in the future I'll be sure to create two piles from the beginning.  Thanks!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 02:37:58 am »

Yep this works perfectly now that I realize what to do, thanks again.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 10:12:35 am »

I, personally, create 3 stockpiles,  one with max barrels with only drink, extracts, and seeds allowed, another with zero barrels and only prepared meals, and a 3rd much larger one with no barrels and everything but the above (drinks, extracts, seeds, meals) allowed.  I usually situate the large plant/meat stockpile on one side of my food prep workshops and the other 2 on the other side.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:49:12 pm »

Similar for me, but a little bit more complex...
directly below my giant dining room (11*3*3)
there is a just as giant booze stockpile (with max barrels allowed),
below that there is a just as giant prepared food stockpile (only prepared food, no barrels allowed)

There are more specific stockpiles (without barrels) directly below my kitchens (with everything that will get turned to prepared food)
my farms workshops and mills (plants that go there) and below my stills...
also a seed stockpile near my underground farms (and, if applicable, also one near my aboveground farms)

At the beginning, before I have enough dwarfpower to carve out all of these huge structures,
I will create a small underground stockpile for prepared food and one for drinks within the first season,
wherever there is place in the rooms/halls I have dug out (for the drinks, to be a little safer from booze guzzling gnomes,
for the prepared food, because it rots incredibly fast, if not stored within a stockpile)