Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death Snapshots  (Read 1336 times)

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Death Snapshots
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:41:56 pm »

Idea: Take a snapshot of a Dorf's wounds screen, kills, equipment, skills, etc. and bundle it together so that it can be viewed later. Maybe also add some information to the body so that it tells more about how the Dorf died; ex. There are slashes in the lower body. The left eye is missing. etc etc.

Don't know if this exists, haven't been able to find it if it does...

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
Re: Death Snapshots
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 10:03:10 pm »

I like it, afaik the closest thing we have is the battle report.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:38:49 pm »

I've seen requests for having details of a dwarf's death in things like the actions report before, but if what you're suggesting is that the game actually export a "Coroner's Report"/"Autopsy" .txt file for every dead dwarf (hopefully to its own folder), then this sounds like an interesting new spin.

"Cause of Death: Natural Causes - one quite naturally dies of being cut in half by an all-natural organic giant crab."
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 12:13:17 am »

adding to this further - would it not be great to have an engraver do an image on their coffin/tomb area showing something they did during their life? i think toady has mentined being able to have more control over what images your dwarves produce in the nearish future.

would be great if you could have a random little image on each stone coffin of its occupant doing something, that could be put on there post death. even if its just urist eating cheese, or getting elected as mayor.

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:47:03 am »

I think the main reason I would want this is for storytelling.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 02:07:31 pm »

Have their death engraved on their stone coffins instead!

"On it is a picture of Urist McNoble and dwarves. Urist is melting. The dwarves are laughing."
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:34:24 pm »

I'd like something like this. I hate it when I see "Urist McMiner has bled to death." I have no idea how they died. Then it takes me few minutes to realize that when I channeled out those 10 z-levels, some other dwarf got the bottom half first, and some poor bloke fell 5 z-levels onto a millstone. Or maybe just for teh lulz when looking through legends.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:43:14 pm »

It would be cool if you got this information by conducting an autopsy at the hospital.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:54 pm »

I like all of these great ideas!

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:04:51 am »

It would be cool if you got this information by conducting an autopsy at the hospital.

Win, except for the part where exploded dwarfs would req alot of workhours to collect all the pieces.:D