Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Different tantrum  (Read 1177 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Different tantrum
« on: August 11, 2010, 04:03:11 pm »

Currently whenever a dwarf is sad he will start hitting people at random even his own frends after which he gets sad about their death. Which doesn't really make sense.

Now this doesn't really make sense and a more logical system would make sense.
First of all unhappy dwarfs work slower this is quite simple. Secondly unhappy dwarfs will make other dwarfs unhappy when they talk to them, work with them or come close to them (saw a depressed dwarf recently). If enough dwarfs are unhappy enough they will act. There are multiple ways they can act. first they can blame a group which mean they will take a random group of dwarfs and kill them. This will generate happy thoughs for every dwarf who helped (recently rid the fort of unworthy dwarfs). Secondly they can decide that they want to get rid of the nobility. They will form a group and kill of all the noble dwarfs some happy dwarfs/soldiers will try to defend them which might end in a lot of blood this generates a happy though aswell (has recently overtrown the governement). Lastly they can decide they want independance which will basically declare war on the dwarfs and passibly declares war on other races aswell. This has a chance of making peace with the enemies of your fort.

If on the other hand important nobles get unhappy they will "just" start demanding and mandating a lot more. A very happy fat noble isn't going to do much while a noble who feels things are going the wrong way will act and try to chance things.

Ofcourse during any of these things they will be destoying stuff they find on their way. And parts of the military will be trying to stop this from happing passibly killing most of your fort in the procces.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:28:00 pm by thijser »
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
Re: Different tantrum
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 07:56:31 pm »

Love the idea of common working-dorfs chucking the baron in a magma pool! :D

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:54:05 pm »

The should not get a bad through from seeing unhappy dwarfs. I can just imagine. Dwarfs doesnt sleep in his bed because he's bugged gets unhappy cause he "doesnt have a room". He walks into the dinning hall and gets the whole fort unhappy, tantrum spiral kills them all. Or something like slightly happy dwarf has to join the army gets sad, picks up with axe walks to the barracks gets the whole military upset. You just lost a fort.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:52:50 pm »

I'd like to see tantrum reaction to be influenced by personality traits.  Angry or emotional dwarves could be more likely to be violent, while calm or empathetic dwarves would be more likely to just throw things.  Adventurous or confident dwarves could attack guards and military dwarves, while liberal and assertive tantrumers target nobles.  Friendly, dutiful, and gregarious dwarves would be much less likely to get in fights with loved ones, while depressed and anxious dwarves would tend to turn on themselves.  Self-disciplined and cheerful dwarves should be more resistant to tantruming in the first place (this may already be in?)

And if you push an angry, anxious, cautious, and disciplined bowdwarf with no friends, no trust and no more ability to really care about anything anymore over the edge...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 02:26:41 am »

The should not get a bad through from seeing unhappy dwarfs. I can just imagine. Dwarfs doesnt sleep in his bed because he's bugged gets unhappy cause he "doesnt have a room". He walks into the dinning hall and gets the whole fort unhappy, tantrum spiral kills them all. Or something like slightly happy dwarf has to join the army gets sad, picks up with axe walks to the barracks gets the whole military upset. You just lost a fort.
Well seeing a dwarf would only be about a -5 or something. As estatic is 500 it shouldn't destroy a good fort and it makes it basically compensates for the fact that in this new system tantrum no longer spreads as easily (dwarfs organise themselfs so a single dwarf can be unhappy without effect so that is why dwarfs get a unhappy though (kind of like us seeing a lot of beggers)).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:45:53 am »

This would be great,dwarven civil wars would also be great (dwarfs should ignore commands you give them if civil wars were put in though,otherwise you could just tell the side you want to lose to kindly pull that lever)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 09:47:02 am »

Yhea perhaps a good idea is to make the player pick a side and have the player lose when their side loses.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:57:44 am »

Nah,that would make DF more of a R.T.S than a Sandbox.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 03:16:22 pm »

Well during a fight df is actually like a RTS and dwarfortress is a mix between sandbox, roughlike, mangement. rts and rpg. I don't think it's anything specific.

But I'm shure we can think of a good way anybody who has one?

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 03:02:47 am »

I think in a civil war you shouldn't have to pick a side and the A.I does the things,anyway it would be a massive loss to your fortress.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 04:36:02 am »

I think in a civil war you shouldn't have to pick a side and the A.I does the things,anyway it would be a massive loss to your fortress.
That might work. And yes the loss should be simmulair to a large tantrum spiral.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 04:46:39 am »

Whether a given dwarf is actually bothered by the unhappiness of others should be very much a personality thing. Only part of the fortress would take part in any downward spiraling then.
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 06:25:36 am »

I wouldn't mind if every now and then a dwarf just whined and annoyed his friends instead of killing their pets.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 09:19:59 am »

Whether a given dwarf is actually bothered by the unhappiness of others should be very much a personality thing. Only part of the fortress would take part in any downward spiraling then.
Well there could be a lot of personality involved. Dwarfs who care for other dwarfs will be more affected but also once more then half of all dwarfs are unhappy then dwarfs who are selfish might decide that they join in order to make shure they are in a good place if after a fight breaks out. Also dwarfs who are going to be on the opposing site of the angry dwarfs would get worried and unhappy.

We will need a way to make a group of dwarfs get hated. I was thinking about making every dwarf having a basic "hate" against one group. These get a 10 points on this dwarfs hate meter. When someone from a particular group does something against a another dwarf this will add to the hate meter. When an unhappy dwarf talks to another unhappy dwarf 10% of the hate from the most hateful dwarf is transfered to the other dwarf.

We also need a way to lower hate. I was thinking about a happy dwarf talking to another happy dwarf from a particular group would lower their hate. This could also influence the formations of these groups.

For dwarfs targeting a particular group of other dwarfs (not noble but other civs) there could be several selections that can be made: beardless/bearded, religious, profession, immigrants/fortborn, friendship-groups and personality traits.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »

What about secretly plotting revenge?

Your miner's unhappy for a while, eventually comes out of it, you think everything's ok, and three months later, whoosh! -  your tax collector takes a quick trip down the fort's well.
Pages: [1] 2