Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Complete newbie, trying to make order out of the chaos  (Read 1532 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete newbie, trying to make order out of the chaos
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 07:07:34 pm »

Hmmm, I think my problem could be that the actual muddied tiles are very few. i used the bucket irrigation gallery method and there are probably huge holes in my fields. I'm trying to build a mass-irrigation device using the nearby stream, but that brings me to my next problem: none of my damned dwarves are going ANYWHERE need the wood furnace to make charcoal, which I need in order to power my smelter!

I dont quite see what wood burning and smelting have to do with irrigation so I'll tell you how I do it.  If its a murky pool, I open up a one tile wide hallway that goes into a room next to it, or preferably below, and just let the water go in there.  Some basic math and enlarging the room until the water is shallow makes this by far the easiest method.  With a brook or stream,  all you need is a mason's and a mechanic's workshop.

dig a one tile wide hallway from your farm room to your brook.  Don't dig out the last damp soil.
build a rock or wood floodgate or door (works the same for our purposes here) at the brook end of the hallway.
using mechanisms from the mechanics workshop, build a lever somewhere.  once it is built, link it to the floodgate/door
after this done, channel out the last tile next to the brook.
queue lever pulling jobs two at a time.  the floodgate will briefly open then close, allowing a controlled amount of water to irrigate your farm.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 [2]