Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Boiling?  (Read 490 times)

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Boiling?
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:09:01 pm »

Hello everyone, had a quick question hopefully someone will be able to help me with. While testing out my obsidian factory i noticed when the chamber is filling with magma every now and then there will be what looks like an explosion. When i paused the game and examined it with "k" it said it was "boiling magma". Was wondering if someone can just explain what that means exactly. Is it more dangerous? Do i need to approach this in a different way? how does it happen? just very confused as you can see lol.

Thanks in advance.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Boiling?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:37:36 am »

What is your magma hitting on the bottom of your obsidian farm? Perhaps you just have a glitch in your magma flow that makes it hot
enough to boil, in which case yes, it's very dangerous. If I recall correctly, defined gases make everything on their tile their boiling point, in which case even magma-safe things might melt, and who knows to what Toady set the boiling point of molten rock. I recommend using it for an entry trap, and perhaps waiting for a utility that can read temperature off of a tile directly.

In the meantime, just design your factory using very high-temperature materials and don't let any dwarves in until there is no magma left in the factory. If you'd like to figure out what's happening for yourself, try putting things just above your boiling magma and seeing what melts; this should tell you the level of hazard you're dealing with, in addition to whether the magma should be boiling or it's reading temperature wrong and boiling when it should be liquid.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 02:59:49 am »

awesome thanks Trekkin, you answered a few of my questions i posted in this forum already. Thanks really appreciate it.

P.S. almost forgot, the magma is hitting just a few stones laying around that i didnt want to wait to pick up....think there is something that is causing the magma to boil?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:23:43 am by TDSS02 »
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 04:04:52 pm »

Maybe, if it's something that sublimates like sphalerite. I suppose it could be reading it as boiling and making everything on the tile boil.