Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Filling a pond.  (Read 8537 times)

ohID

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Filling a pond.
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:08:39 pm »

I'm trying to do the fill pond trick to get some underwater farming going. I've got buckets, I've got a water source, and I've already set it all up right. What do I need to enable to make the dwarves fill it? It doesn't say on the wiki. :(

Edit: Typo -_o

I've searched and searched and searched, and apparently I'm doing it right. But no dwarves are even attempting to fill it. I'm lost. :X

Edit again: Apparently it's because my only water sources are murky water. *sigh*
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:41:47 pm by ohID »

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Filling a pond.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:21:10 pm »

You know, this question comes up enough I think I'll just go put some step-by-steps up on the wiki.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

ohID

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:23:08 pm »

Sorry. :/ But thank you!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:52:35 pm »

Rokkomies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:32:58 am »

"Note that when you are designating the zone, you must also include at least one tile of walkway adjacent to the channeled tile. Think of this as the tile the dwarves will stand on while filling the "pond". " This is not necessary I think. I usually just dig 2 3x3 rooms on top of each other and completely remove the floor from the above room. Then I designate a 3x3 pond there and the dwarves will fill the pond standing at the doorway.

"If you designate each channeled tile individually as its own pond, you can quickly muddy your planned farm tiles- as only one dwarf can fill a pond activity zone at a time- and you can also control the spread of the water more precisely. " This is a handy tip. :) I have always used full 3x3 ponds and it can take some time to get all 9 tiles below muddied. Adding doors to farming rooms helps to keep the water from spreading to hallway. But using 8 1 tile ponds should be much more efficient. Thanks for the tip.

Over all great guide.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:38:21 am »

I have a simmilar question, my dwarves were filling up a pool so slowly I canceled the designation, there are now several buckets of stagnant water on the map, how do I get dwarves to empty and collect the buckets? They don't stockpile and there is no 'empty' option.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 04:55:21 am »

They will empty them eventually.
You still could designate another pond area that serves no purpose other than emptying the buckets
(a>b) ? false : true

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 05:49:42 am »

Don't Dwarves need "a bucket full of water" in order to make Gypsum Plaster Casts? A few full buckets might be useful to have around.
Never pet a burning dog.

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:00:01 am »

Don't Dwarves need "a bucket full of water" in order to make Gypsum Plaster Casts? A few full buckets might be useful to have around.
They actually do casts? Never saw that. Only splints. Hmm. Gotta try and check.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 06:14:51 am »

It shows up as 'Stagnant water', but the main problem isn't the buckets and their contents, it's the fact they lie across the surrounding land where the dwarves dropped them, what stockpile does a water bucket get put in?

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 06:17:10 am »

furniture, but they are most of the time lying around  anywhere. ...

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 06:21:44 am »

furniture, but they are most of the time lying around  anywhere. ...
buckets with milk, lye and water go to the food stockpile

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 08:32:51 am »

Really?  In my experience, a bucket with stagnant water never moves from where it was dropped.  They've never been moved to a furniture or food stockpile.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 10:12:00 am »

"Note that when you are designating the zone, you must also include at least one tile of walkway adjacent to the channeled tile. Think of this as the tile the dwarves will stand on while filling the "pond". " This is not necessary I think. I usually just dig 2 3x3 rooms on top of each other and completely remove the floor from the above room.
Weird. Including the border tile is what I was taught. I'll take that bit down, pending further notice.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 10:20:14 am »

"Note that when you are designating the zone, you must also include at least one tile of walkway adjacent to the channeled tile. Think of this as the tile the dwarves will stand on while filling the "pond". " This is not necessary I think. I usually just dig 2 3x3 rooms on top of each other and completely remove the floor from the above room.
Weird. Including the border tile is what I was taught. I'll take that bit down, pending further notice.

About ponds:
You're not AT ALL supposed to designate the area marked "empty space". You zone the walking spot where the dwarf is going to stand and empty his bucket. If no suitable tile is around him (said empty space) he will return an error. This is the same as water sources (it however works either way with streams, because dwarves can stand on them anyway).

Designating "empty space", the dwarves don't even bother getting their buckets. Also, AFAIK, only one dwarf will try to fill a zone. If you want, say, 3 dwarves filling it simultaneously, you should create 3 separate one-tile zones around the hole.

Unless something has changed in the last version, and I have no reason to believe it has, it still works this way.
Pages: [1] 2