Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Markdwarves not training with there crossbows  (Read 3653 times)

BlackRat90

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth!
    • View Profile
Markdwarves not training with there crossbows
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:50:01 pm »

So yea, my marksdwarves are not training is marksmanship. I have lots of bone bolts, and my squad is set to use the bone bolts. My dwarfs have crossbows, quivers, and my archery ranges are the right size and set for the squad to train at them. Only nobody is using them, another problem seems to be that nobody is cleaning the used bolts in the range. I can't think or find out anything to see that i am doing something wrong. Is this a bug?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Markdwarves not training with there crossbows
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:51:34 pm »

Have you set that squad to "Active/Training" on the Military Alerts ( 'm' - 'a' ) screen?
Never pet a burning dog.

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:05:46 am »

have you set up barracks for them overlapping the targets? They usually don't feel like going distance from barracks to shoot practice.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:44:04 am »

The "overlapping archery range and barracks" thing was an idea that someone thought up a while back, during the period when archery ranges were completely broken and unusable.  The development of this idea coincided with the bug fixes that made the archery ranges start working, so people got confused.

You don't need to overlap an archery range with a barracks.  Marksdwarves will practice at the range without any other "rooms" overlapping it.

There was a bug in an older version in which dwarves who were assigned "indiv choice, ranged" as their weapon would never do archery practice, even if they chose a crossbow.  They had to be assigned "crossbow" in the military equipment/uniform screen in order for practice to occur.  I don't know whether this bug is still present.  I continue to assign "crossbow" explicitly.

I don't assign training schedules for my marksdwarves.  I leave them "off duty" all the time, and just give them station or kill orders when I want them to actually do something.  If I want them to train, I make an archery range from an archery target (make sure you get the firing direction right, and that the room extends out at least two squares away from the target in the direction from which the dwarves will be firing), and then mark the archery range with a "T" for the marksdwarf squad(s) that I want to practice there.  They won't practice immediately or full-time, but they should do some practice firing in their spare time.  When I want them to stop practicing, I un-designate the archery range (leave the target there, though).

You need one target per dwarf who will be training simultaneously.  The way I do it is to make one archery range "room" from each target, and assign firing direction and squad "T" marks on each of them.  I don't know if there's a less tedious way to get it done.

The broken bolts that litter the map never seem to get cleaned up for me, either.  I never worried about it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

terminal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:13:53 am »

Do they have shields equipped?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:29:17 am »

You need one target per dwarf who will be training simultaneously.  The way I do it is to make one archery range "room" from each target, and assign firing direction and squad "T" marks on each of them.  I don't know if there's a less tedious way to get it done.
I build the walls of my Archery Range in the shape of a comb:

... I also put it outside, in the courtyard. That prevents Cave Adaptation.
Never pet a burning dog.

BlackRat90

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 07:44:07 pm »

I have no idea why its not working, I believe its because my current markdwarf i want to train has blowgunning skills...thats the only thing i can think of...he wont even use his crossbow to engage enemies.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 09:47:13 pm »

Does he have bolts IN his quiver?  Go to {v} -> {i}, scroll down to the quiver, and {Enter} and actually look in it.

If he doesn't have bolts, then that explains why he's not shooting anything, and then you just have to figure out why he's not picking up any bolts.

If he does have bolts, then I'm stumped.  A dwarf who has a crossbow and a quiver full of bolts should shoot at least once when he's attacked by someone a few squares away.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

BlackRat90

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 10:06:16 pm »

theres the problem! no bolts in the quiver!!

BlackRat90

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 10:20:20 pm »

Yes, my dwarfs have bolts in the stock pile and are set to use bolts in there ammo screen...I have no idea why they arnt gonna pick them up? What confuses me still is that the markdwarfs practiced for like 1 month then never again?

BlackRat90

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 10:33:21 pm »

have you set up barracks for them overlapping the targets? They usually don't feel like going distance from barracks to shoot practice.

well after much testing and messing around...this actually worked

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:08:44 am »

Hmm... how weird.  I've never needed an overlapping barracks/archery range combo room.  Apparently there are still some issues with military ammo allocation that I still don't understand.

BlackRat90

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 12:19:40 pm »

I did mess with that to, i brought it lower. It possible that the barracks overlapping is needed for certain situations in the game?

sinister agent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 01:35:01 pm »

I will have to try this, as I've had trouble getting them to train with crossbows as well.  They insist that they're going to train, but never do.