Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Mafia 2  (Read 5179 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 2
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2010, 11:24:58 pm »

So what I've gotten from this thread so far is that Nenjin hates Mafia 1 and anyone who likes it because he thinks they're elitist...

What I got from that post is that you're excellent at skimming but need work on full comprehension. If you laud Mafia I up and down and trash any of its more successful contemporaries....yeah, you could call that elitist. Possibly an elitist with a passion for slow boring games.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:32:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Quarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2010, 02:03:37 am »

So now it's ridiculous to expect good quality graphics from a "high definition" format?  I'd accept 1080i.  Assassin's Creed 2 looks great.  Mafia 2 (and Section 9, and Kane and Lynch 2) looks like a jagged mess unless the screen is being obscured by all sorts of special effects or is in constant motion.
No, you weren't complaining about the graphics being bad, you were complaining about the resolution being inadequate. I'm not going to argue that Mafia 2 looks mediocre on consoles compared to the PC (it does), I was merely pointing out that on a system where almost nothing else is rendered in HD, there's no point in expecting this game to be. Complain about the system, but don't fault the game itself for the system's shortcomings.

It's also probably important to note that 1080i looks poor compared to 720p for scenes where things are in motion (and that AC2, one of the few games that is actually rendered natively in 720p achieves its jaggie-free look by running a filter over the entire screen which results in muddied textures). Oh, and most TVs have a sharpening setting that can cause some games to look terrible if enabled -- I didn't notice any issues with Mafia 2 on my 360 (and I can't really be bothered to download it onto my PS3), so you might want to poke around for that. GTA 4 was jaggie hell before I disabled it.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2010, 03:53:14 am »

So what I've gotten from this thread so far is that Nenjin hates Mafia 1 and anyone who likes it because he thinks they're elitist...

What I got from that post is that you're excellent at skimming but need work on full comprehension. If you laud Mafia I up and down and trash any of its more successful contemporaries....yeah, you could call that elitist. Possibly an elitist with a passion for slow boring games.

I guess people who state their own personal tastes in games as some sort of objective standard of quality could be considered elitist... ::)

So now it's ridiculous to expect good quality graphics from a "high definition" format?  I'd accept 1080i.  Assassin's Creed 2 looks great.  Mafia 2 (and Section 9, and Kane and Lynch 2) looks like a jagged mess unless the screen is being obscured by all sorts of special effects or is in constant motion.
No, you weren't complaining about the graphics being bad, you were complaining about the resolution being inadequate. I'm not going to argue that Mafia 2 looks mediocre on consoles compared to the PC (it does), I was merely pointing out that on a system where almost nothing else is rendered in HD, there's no point in expecting this game to be. Complain about the system, but don't fault the game itself for the system's shortcomings.

It's also probably important to note that 1080i looks poor compared to 720p for scenes where things are in motion (and that AC2, one of the few games that is actually rendered natively in 720p achieves its jaggie-free look by running a filter over the entire screen which results in muddied textures). Oh, and most TVs have a sharpening setting that can cause some games to look terrible if enabled -- I didn't notice any issues with Mafia 2 on my 360 (and I can't really be bothered to download it onto my PS3), so you might want to poke around for that. GTA 4 was jaggie hell before I disabled it.

I suppose it game at the expense of any form of consistency or intelligence in the gameplay and plot, but em... Modern Warfare 2?

Also, I'm not really seeing how expecting HD to be HD is somehow unreasonable.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2010, 10:09:45 am »

I played the demo, compleed it with 2 minutes left on the clock.

-Guns aim jerkily. "made for 30fps" microstuttering.
-Cars handle like the steering wheel is submerged in a cement mixer. It's like what'shisface McGeneric Gangster simply refuses to turn the steering wheel more then 2 inches when above 15mph.
-I can blast a pillar witch a shotgun and blow chunks off the corners. A couple of shots later I sculpted it into having 6 identical pieces missing at exactly the same distance from each other at every corner. By raking it with 2-3 pellets.
-Invisible forcefields around enemies that are scripted to do something. Bullets literally create sparks off an imaginary surface a few feet ahead of them(best seen when the elevator dumps a couple of extra enemies during a fight. They're completely invincible until they start moving, even when the grate is gone.).
-Console buttons on th UI.
-Gameplay is completely unoriginal. Drive somewhere, enter building, clear completely linear level, backtrack out while everything is on fire.
-Graphics are 2006 yet doesn't achieve speeds you'd expect from a game that looks like that.

A shit port of an average but highly overhyped game. No sale from me.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2010, 03:10:12 pm »

Wow, Im damn pissed right now. You people remember that cliffhanger demo ends at? It doesnt happens in the full game. I was chased by two shitty cop cars who took a few shots at me and got away.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2010, 04:08:33 pm »

It's like it's trying to be a combination of Grand Theft Auto, Mafia 1, Indigo Prophesy, and Hitman, and succeeds in implementing 3 percent of the features of each.
!!&!!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2010, 04:15:26 pm »

Graphics or something about it hurts my head like the batman asylum game. (On PS3)

Or maybe its just my tiredness doing it.  At least its only a rental.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2010, 04:32:36 pm »

It's like it's trying to be a combination of Grand Theft Auto, Mafia 1, Indigo Prophesy, and Hitman, and succeeds in implementing 3 percent of the features of each.

And here I was under the impression that i was playing "Driver in the fifthies"
70% of the game is just wake up, go to point A(maybe point B) and then go back home and sleep.
Though the little actual content there is is allright.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2011, 09:34:34 pm »

So i picked this up on a recent Steam sale for around $7 and for the price, I dont regret it. Very linear gameplay, kinda like playing a movie. I especially liked the 40's stuff, havent finished the game yet but getting a tad bored of all the driving around even though the city is stunning to look at.

They were so close to having a game that was fun and open, but fell a bit short. Still, worth playing for the price I got, and I do really like what there is.
I got nothing

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2011, 10:01:14 pm »

I played it because I loved Mafia 1.  I loved it, went back and played Mafia 2 for nostalgia, hated it.  Serious nostalgia goggles clouding my vision, I forgot how clunky Mafia 1 was.  I didn't even clear the hotel, I couldn't handle how poorly it played.
Shoes...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2011, 12:54:36 am »

Don't get me wrong, this is a fun game, but Mafia 2 just feels like it's lacking something that the first game had... It just feels like GTA 4, not Mafia.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2011, 01:33:46 am »

I think I just really liked the 1940s era scenery, driving around Empire Bay with the radio on in the icy weather. What this game lacks in actual GAMEPLAY, still made me giddy with the environment. Once out of the prison scenes, I find it less engaging.

Still, $7? I cant complain.

never played Mafia 1.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]