Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Mafia 2  (Read 5185 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 2
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2010, 02:45:00 am »

What the heck are you guys arguing about this time. Geez, lighten up guys.

In any case, I will almost definitely get this game now after trying 10 seconds of the demo. Sure the graphics aren't all that great and it's a bit weird, but you know what sealed the deal? The magazine on the kitchen counter.  :P I have to get all 50 now.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2010, 03:05:56 am »

I didn't really get it. It was really obvious who the Scum was from the beginning, but I had trouble getting anybody else to lynch them, probably because of how awful the lynching system is. I have to aim a reticule at something and shoot bullets at them to give them my vote? And I seem to have a whole bunch of extra votes lying around? That's kind of rigged. I feel like they missed the point of what Mafia is all about.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2010, 05:44:30 am »

I shot a few cops at the burger joint by my house, shook them off and then went to the clothing store. While I was trying on clothes, some cops opened up on the shop with thompsons, blowing through the windows and killing everyone inside except for me (I hid in the dressing room)
They stormed in, and I blasted them all with my pistol, took their car and ran to the gun shop to get a shotgun. As soon as I get in eyesight of the store clerk, he fires his shotgun in my direction, blasting the window off the door. My first reaction was to shoot him, which I tried but then realized I was out of ammo. So, I kicked the door open while he was pumping the shotgun, and bumrushed him, beating him to death with my bear hands before he could get a shot in.
Then I took all of his stuff and shot some stuff.
I was entertained, therefore the game served it's purpose, IMO.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2010, 12:25:16 pm »

Nah, I liked them both.  GTA was more consistently fun though.  Mafia felt like a driving game with decent gunplay mechanics, and since I'm not a driving game fan I couldn't stand the driving missions.

And yeah, if you quit after the stealing the racecar mission you picked a perfect time to quit.  The next mission (The actual race) would be mind-numbing if it weren't so infuriating.

Lol, there you go. You enjoyed GTA more than Mafia. Both are similar genres, but opposing styles.

Eh, but IMO, the best part was AFTER the race. The parts before that were quite easy, sort of like how a "newbie campaign" in a lot of strategy games don't really give you the full experience, they just start introducing things at a slow pace. Most of the fun I've had with the game was after that infuriating race (and there's a bit of a cheat "shortcut" you can take if you hated the race as much as I did). If you skipped out at that point, then you've missed out on the best part of the game, but if you weren't already hooked by then, then it's not your kind of game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2010, 12:51:05 pm »

I stopped playing Mafia 1 at the mission where you had to break into the mansion with the safe cracker. It had Zelda OoT style dodging the guards alongside protecting a completely shoe on head retarded AI companion, and that was before you even got to the mansion. That game was seriously stressful, but I still liked it quite alot.

I've yet to play Mafia 2.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2010, 05:27:52 pm »

I briefly tried the demo and played the mission. I haven't dicked around at all though (dunno if I will)

It seemed to control pretty well... but maybe I'm too used to.. certain other games (cough) that have very "clunky" movement controls.

I will say one thing, I am worried how you have to select "weapon up, down, left, right" rather than 'weapon slot 1, 2 3, 4" and how you have "low, medium, high" mouse sensitivity. Hell, even Borderlands has a slider, a very crappy slider, but still. Fortunately the mouse controls a whole lot better here than borderlands.

I think I may have played Mafia 1 before, but I don't remember anything about it other than you had the speed limiter like in this game, and I think that some guys were trying to kill someone by pushing them onto train tracks with their car, but their plan failed horribly.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2010, 07:52:00 pm »

I tried mafia 1.
Fuck that first mission, I can usualy play any game no matter how bad and enjoy it but fuck that shit.
"Can't you drive any faster?" every 10 seconds.
NO I can't drive fucking faster you AI cunt, the car doesn't go handle well above 15mph nor does it even exceed that speed.

Regardless I will try again, but fucking hell, every 10 seconds.
Maybe in 10 minutes when I am not fucking pissed from working on a window motor for a less than greatfull bitch of a neighbor who can't fathom living another month without rolling down the back right window in her car or use the AC.
It wasn't even that, it was that she refused to pay my 8 hours of work in the hot fucking summer sun, from 8 AM to 4 PM fixing her fucking window.
When I find out that it isn't the fucking motor, no it's the master control from the drivers side that shorted, or the passanger front relay not working.
Then after searching all over town at the junk yards and spending about 2 hours total trying to track down the damn things, which apparently are the FIRST thing people want from these models due to buying a new factory one is 300+$.
After that it turns out it was a wire in the frame where we couldn't see that was split.
THEN she decided we didn't deserve pay because we took too long and "didn't do a good enough job".
I spent 8 fucking hours you ungreatfull bitch, I spent about 100$ of MY money to buy crap to fix your damn fucking bitch ass car, I spent MY time and MY gas, I didn't even get a thanks.

Anyway, sorry to derail I just needed to vent somewhere.
Back on about mafia 2 and how great it will be.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:58:03 pm by Saint »
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2010, 08:06:30 pm »

-snip-

Derail ahoy!

Heres how you get her back, plant killing chemicals all over her lawn, and on any flowers/plants she likes when she isn't home.

She'll never be able to prove it, and you'll feel better.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2010, 08:11:26 pm »

Yes, that, and head over to her house with your parents or/and you, and demand that she pay you at least $100 considering she now has a working window. The job is done, and you deserve the money.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2010, 08:20:22 pm »

Or you could commit a bunch of highly strange and unusual actions just to unerve her.
Like:

-Sending her a letter of functional mind screw giberish in the zodiac killer's cyper.

-Getting a cop to semi-violently fake arrest you and then act like nothing happened.

-Sending her an unmarked envelope with real money in it on a holiday, and a note explaining that it's a gift of counterfeit bills.

-Get a bunch of high power muticolored lights and set them up in a vertical pattern at night on your property, then turn them off after a few miniutes and refuse to explain.

Sooner or later the growing parinoia over these unexplained events will turn her mind into an infinate fear generator. Or you could just get your parents and demand payment. Either works.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2010, 03:26:37 am »

So what I've gotten from this thread so far is that Nenjin hates Mafia 1 and anyone who likes it because he thinks they're elitist...

I tried the demo on my PS3 and the first thing I noticed was that 720p resolution...  Jeez I thought the point of a console was to get decent graphics without worrying about system specs.  I could play at that resolution on my old ass computer if it weren't broken right now.

On the other hand the atmosphere didn't seem to have been totally ruined from what little I got to play of it.  At least the story parts.  The radio is the usual cheap attempt to imitate GTA's period parody style that just doesn't work.  So are the new pedestrian conversations.  The gunplay seemed to work quite well and I was pleasantly surprised by how badly the cars handled at high speeds.

I briefly tried the demo and played the mission. I haven't dicked around at all though (dunno if I will)

It seemed to control pretty well... but maybe I'm too used to.. certain other games (cough) that have very "clunky" movement controls.

I will say one thing, I am worried how you have to select "weapon up, down, left, right" rather than 'weapon slot 1, 2 3, 4" and how you have "low, medium, high" mouse sensitivity. Hell, even Borderlands has a slider, a very crappy slider, but still. Fortunately the mouse controls a whole lot better here than borderlands.

I think I may have played Mafia 1 before, but I don't remember anything about it other than you had the speed limiter like in this game, and I think that some guys were trying to kill someone by pushing them onto train tracks with their car, but their plan failed horribly.

It's a multiplatform game, and what that actually means is that it was designed for consoles then ported to PC.  At least they didn't pretend they were doing the opposite like they did with Far Cry 2.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 03:30:03 am »

Even if you do a port it doesn't hurt to do it right. Granted, it was a small nitpicky thing I pointed out... but it could have been worse.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 03:30:48 am »

I shot a few cops at the burger joint by my house, shook them off and then went to the clothing store. While I was trying on clothes, some cops opened up on the shop with thompsons, blowing through the windows and killing everyone inside except for me (I hid in the dressing room)
They stormed in, and I blasted them all with my pistol, took their car and ran to the gun shop to get a shotgun. As soon as I get in eyesight of the store clerk, he fires his shotgun in my direction, blasting the window off the door. My first reaction was to shoot him, which I tried but then realized I was out of ammo. So, I kicked the door open while he was pumping the shotgun, and bumrushed him, beating him to death with my bear hands before he could get a shot in.
Then I took all of his stuff and shot some stuff.
I was entertained, therefore the game served it's purpose, IMO.

That's a great confession and all, but what did you think of the game? Did you even play it?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Quarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2010, 06:55:34 am »

I tried the demo on my PS3 and the first thing I noticed was that 720p resolution...  Jeez I thought the point of a console was to get decent graphics without worrying about system specs.  I could play at that resolution on my old ass computer if it weren't broken right now.

There are only a handful of retail games that run at 1080p on consoles -- of those, most simply upscale their native not-even-720p resolution in software. I mean, the hardware in modern consoles is utter shit, but they were mid-range when they were released 4/5 years ago. Complaining about a game not being in 1080p on a console where less than a percent of them are is completely ridiculous.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2010, 11:20:09 pm »

So now it's ridiculous to expect good quality graphics from a "high definition" format?  I'd accept 1080i.  Assassin's Creed 2 looks great.  Mafia 2 (and Section 9, and Kane and Lynch 2) looks like a jagged mess unless the screen is being obscured by all sorts of special effects or is in constant motion.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5