Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Mafia 2  (Read 5190 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 2
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 12:50:52 pm »

Oh right. Anything that has mass appeal must automatically be bad. Because everyone else is obviously stupid.

Or maybe it's that fun, immersion and sales are all a package to be considered at once. And I'll take fun physics any day over lame ass attempts at realism. The most intense physics displayed in Mafia is that your car spins outs.

Dare we compare GTA sales to Mafia 1 and 2? Because I know who is going to lose that one.

There's a middle ground, somewhere, but I'm not sure it's possible to see it when your nose is pointed at the sky.
The masses (a.k.a. the average gamer) do not like realism. But what the masses like is not what's necessarily better. Or would you like to proclaim that Modern Warfare 2 is better than Operation Flashpoint because it sold much more?

And you're still going on about "fun". Let me tell you what I consider fun - Mafia 1. Now let me tell you what I consider "booooooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggggggg" - GTA3. Guess that means Mafia 1 is better, lol.

Also, the implication that more sales equals better is pretty ridiculous. There are many things outside of game quality that lead to better sales, including hype, a known developer/publisher, the intellectual property/brand name, etc..

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 01:43:22 pm »

Played the demo.

Length: Not only was it short but they gave you 10 minute time limit bullshit.
4/10
Fighting mechanic: It was done ok, it could be more polished but it was very nicely done, however I'd much rather have to choose between shotgun or tommy gun, either way I only used the pistol after I aquired and tried both weapons.
6/10
Animations: The mouth movement was a little off beat and felt real cartoony for a "realistic" game, however it fits the mood of it being the 1950's
7/10
Driving: personaly I liked the driving, the cars were a nice speed and handeling was about the average I'd expect from a car of the 1950's, however the brakes were very weak at times and I often found my self slamming into buildings and civilians durring a police chase.
8/10
replay value: Although early to do so I'd rate it about a medium, there's a lot I could see use for freeroam and collection things but it'd get old after a while.
6/10

(Demo)
Overall:
31/50
6.2/10

I plan on buying it as it comes with mafia 1, it's worth it then, however if you don't plan on doing that then wait for a price drop or a steam sale.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 01:49:06 pm »

Not sure how productive evaluating the game's demo based on the time limit really is.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 02:24:25 pm »

Not sure how productive evaluating the game's demo based on the time limit really is.
Very productive.
Plus it's a demo review, not the game review.
The demo is worth playing, but hardly.
The full game should be much better.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 02:36:17 pm »

I absolutely loved Mafia 1. That was probably my favorite FPS of all time, and that's just from the main campaign. On the other hand, I hated GTA.. it's just a boring sandbox, IMO.

Mafia had great car chase scenes and indoors battles. It had a bit more realism to it.. crash your car and you'll really feel it. Yeah, you could shoot tires, blow up engines, but it's rare enough to make it fun. The story merged in incredibly with the gameplay.

Heck, I'd rate Mafia 1 even higher than Max Payne, because Max Payne got repetitive. Whatever it is, I'm not judging Mafia 2 from any reviews. I'll just wait and get it myself :P

Hmm... but Metacritic gives Mafia 88 for the PC and 65 for the PS2. Might be for a reason.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 03:06:37 pm »

There are many things outside of game quality that lead to better sales, including hype, a known developer/publisher, the intellectual property/brand name, etc..

Ah yes, it's a grand conspiracy and they've got everyone fooled, except you, lone ranger.

Amazingly, some of us can play all sorts of titles and enjoy them on their own merits even as we criticize them for their flaws. What I do find funny though is you hold up Mafia 1 like it did something amazing. It did realism ok, and it had a decent story. (Which wasn't even original.) The rest? Average, maybe even shoddy. So I'm not sure how you get from there....to it being an amazing game. Possibly through red-tinted, coke-bottle thick glasses.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 03:11:30 pm »

From every discussion I've seen on this game, I think we can agree that the people who love GTA will hate Mafia 1 and vice versa.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 03:19:43 pm »

Nah, I liked them both.  GTA was more consistently fun though.  Mafia felt like a driving game with decent gunplay mechanics, and since I'm not a driving game fan I couldn't stand the driving missions.

And yeah, if you quit after the stealing the racecar mission you picked a perfect time to quit.  The next mission (The actual race) would be mind-numbing if it weren't so infuriating.

Really, I felt a lot of diminishing returns on Mafia.  The first driving sequence was alright, but I wasn't very good at it, the first gunfight was awesome, the driving continued to be alright, and the gunplay got a little boring over time, and then we get to the racecar mission, and the stealth mission, and I decided I'd had about as much fun as I was going to get out of it.  Storyline was pretty good though.

Honestly though, how many times are we going to have to go through this whole "Well, I think that this game pales in comparison to <old, moderately similar PC game>.  This game's just catering to the console kids and the lowest common denominator, and I will not deign to play it."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:22:06 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »

Probably until people can read something criticizing something they love and not totally blow a gasket.

Really, I felt a lot of diminishing returns on Mafia.  The first driving sequence was alright, but I wasn't very good at it, the first gunfight was awesome, the driving continued to be alright, and the gunplay got a little boring over time, and then we get to the racecar mission, and the stealth mission, and I decided I'd had about as much fun as I was going to get out of it.  Storyline was pretty good though.

This, pretty much to a T, was my experience. The storyline didn't carry me forward when the game play stopped doing so, because I've watched a lot of gangster movies and Mafia wasn't throwing me any curves that kept it interesting.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:28:52 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 04:01:19 pm »

Here's something I got off the interwebs, Follow these instructions. It worked for me. And I didnt have to download some bull**** shady patch. Enjoy.

Download HxD (Free Hex Editor) from here:http://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDSetupEN.zipInstall and open HxD.

Press "Open file"
Browse to Folder Steam\steamapps\common\mafia ii - public demo\pc and open mafia2.exe
You will see a lot of digits and letters if all went good.
Search on the left for 000F5380
Find D9 56 4C within that line and edit this to 90 90 90
Save file.
Open mafia2.exe and enjoy Mafia 2 demo without the 10 minute gameplay limit!

Note: Make sure you always make a backup of mafia2.exe incase you do something wrong!
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 04:19:05 pm »

I just used a cheat program to freeze the demo timer.
The game is worth buying.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 05:54:57 pm »

There are many things outside of game quality that lead to better sales, including hype, a known developer/publisher, the intellectual property/brand name, etc..

Ah yes, it's a grand conspiracy and they've got everyone fooled, except you, lone ranger.
Quite the contrary. I've gotten hyped up to post-buy dissapointment quite a few times. Stop pulling the elitism card like an asshole. Some people will buy games based on who made it or what IP it is. If Troika suddenly rose from the ashes, I'd buy whatever game they made.

And it's not a conspiracy, it's called marketing. I suppose next you'll be saying I'm delussionally fighting against black magic clouding people's tastes or something.

Amazingly, some of us can play all sorts of titles and enjoy them on their own merits even as we criticize them for their flaws. What I do find funny though is you hold up Mafia 1 like it did something amazing. It did realism ok, and it had a decent story. (Which wasn't even original.) The rest? Average, maybe even shoddy. So I'm not sure how you get from there....to it being an amazing game. Possibly through red-tinted, coke-bottle thick glasses.
I hold it up as something good and much better than GTA3. Not amazing. Good job putting words in my mouth, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 06:06:13 pm »

Quite the contrary. I've gotten hyped up to post-buy dissapointment quite a few times. Stop pulling the elitism card like an asshole. Some people will buy games based on who made it or what IP it is. If Troika suddenly rose from the ashes, I'd buy whatever game they made.

Just so I have this straight. People are suckers for buying based on marketing and/or brand loyalty...except when you do it for games/companies you like? I'm trying to figure out where that "some people" is directed at, since you're including yourself in it in the same breath.

I suppose next you'll be saying I'm delussionally fighting against black magic clouding people's tastes or something.

No. But it does seem awfully chic these days to slam the most successful games exactly because they're successful, as though they're doing something shady to get so successful. Terrible games don't smash records, and both of your targets, MW2 and GTA, did just that. Mafia did not.

I hold it up as something good and much better than GTA3. Not amazing. Good job putting words in my mouth, though.

Hey, if it got an actual balanced response out of you finally...

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 06:09:55 pm »

Just so I have this straight. People are suckers for buying based on marketing and/or brand loyalty...except when you do it for games/companies you like? I'm trying to figure out where that "some people" is directed at, since you're including yourself in it in the same breath.
You really are putting words in his mouth. He didn't say it was a bad thing that people buy things based solely off of who made it. He mentioned nothing about these people being suckers. He's not saying it's a negative thing.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 06:16:46 pm »

Man, I buy Baygon precisely because I trust Bayer's efficacy in slaying cockroaches. Does it make me a sucker because of my prior experience leading me to trust them to make a product that is useful and efficient?

Nope. It follows for games as well, and besides which, if I'm dissatisfied with a product, then that impacts my trust of the brand. So really, brand recognition isn't all that flawed a marketing ploy as long as a name continues to put out decent product.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5