Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Mafia 2  (Read 5195 times)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Mafia 2
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:54:24 pm »

So, Mafia 2 is coming out on the 24th (27th in Europe). The demo came out today on the PC, 360, and PS3. I've been playing for a few hours and I must say, I am very impressed. The gun play is intuitive, the graphics are quite nice, and the animations are smooth as silk. I've managed to convince the police to arrest an old man for grand theft auto, which blew my mind.

Anyone else here plan on getting it? Played the Demo? Want to talk about it?

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 2
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 07:57:23 pm »

It's horrible. Plays like GTA IV, feels like GTA IV, only it's worse and it's HURR DURR WERE IN FIFTIES LOL. Police is retarded, it just bumps in you and whatever, mostly ignores you. I just witnessed it pull over a car, make the driver come out. And then they shot him. What.
Meh,, I hoped for this game. Mafia 1 was truly the best sandbox TPS out there. This shit is a mindless GTA IV clone , and a shitty console port to add to it.
Oh, and add in the retarded fighting system in, and you got this.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:19:41 pm »

I'm not sure if Pillow played a different demo than us or what. I'll admit the PC port seems to be pretty lame but the world it defines feels a lot more organic than anything in GTA4 and the general atmosphere is much better. Graphically pretty stunning in comparison too, especially considering how much better it's actually running on PC than GTA :P

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:20:57 pm »

Mafia 1 was pretty damn good, but I haven't seen any demos of this yet. Probably check it out soon.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:23:28 pm »

I'm not sure if Pillow played a different demo than us or what. I'll admit the PC port seems to be pretty lame but the world it defines feels a lot more organic than anything in GTA4 and the general atmosphere is much better. Graphically pretty stunning in comparison too, especially considering how much better it's actually running on PC than GTA :P

Oh god, GTA 4 on the PC was a total nightmare. I'm actually quite happy with the PC version, nothing seems to consoley, and the driving with the keyboard is surprisingly controllable. I really didn't like GTA 4 at all. But I'm loving this so far.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 08:27:01 pm »

I must be one of the few people that found Mafia 1 clunky, awkward and barebones.

Anyways, I hear this one has a lot more pop culture influence and isn't as stodgy or focused on a completely accurate presentation of the time period. But apparently that's not what anyone wanted.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 08:38:11 pm »

I must be one of the few people that found Mafia 1 clunky, awkward and barebones.
You're not alone. I started playing it on the PS2 and... Never touched it ever again.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 08:42:02 pm »

While I never played the video game Mafia, all I remember from reviews of it was what you just said.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:53:37 pm »

It's horrible. Plays like GTA IV, feels like GTA IV, only it's worse and it's HURR DURR WERE IN FIFTIES LOL. Police is retarded, it just bumps in you and whatever, mostly ignores you. I just witnessed it pull over a car, make the driver come out. And then they shot him. What.
Meh,, I hoped for this game. Mafia 1 was truly the best sandbox TPS out there. This shit is a mindless GTA IV clone , and a shitty console port to add to it.
Did you actually play Mafia 1?
It was far from impressive when it came to many of the mechanics, AI included. It was, in my opinion, one of the best sandbox driver/shooters of its time- which you seem to agree with, but it was NOT a shining example of awesomeness like you make it out to be. Perhaps you need to go back and play it a bit again to see for yourself, the AI is not very smart, the controls are often, how shall I say... clunky. And the the 'immersion' is FAR from great...

Just because it is 'old' doesn't make it AWERSOMEAMAZINGNESS. Heck, in ten years I bet you will be saying Mafia 2 was great, this new Mafia 3 sucks tho, bleh!

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 09:04:50 pm »

Just finished the demo, my computer can barely handle the game, do they have a demo on the PS3? Either way, looks pretty fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 09:05:45 pm »

Honestly, even Driv3r was better than Mafia IMO. Was a hell of a lot more fun. GTA was a better sand box.

The only thing Mafia had going for it was period realism...which you realize was pretty shitty and unfun when cars have less acceleration than your average lawn mower, and the streets are virtually empty. What exactly makes a sand box game good if there's nothing to do IN the sand box except drive around very, very slowly, and spin out because you're driving on the equivalent of bike tires?

I quit playing Mafia after the steal the race car mission. Some how, I just knew the game had peaked right there and wasn't going to get better. Although some of the car chases were decently fun...until you happened to hit a hill.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:15:36 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 09:12:42 pm »

I am very underwhelmed. Then again, my last crime based game was Godfather 2, unless you count Red Dead Redemption. For the uninformed, Godfather 2 is horrible. I just don't know about this. It seems very immersive and all, but I have my doubts. Certainly won't be buying it.

Was anyone else suprised by the Playboy pickups? It seems rather fitting in-universe, but I think they just wanted an excuse to have naked women in their game. I do wonder if those were real 1950's pin-ups...

I was rather confused about the year this game was set in, though. My first guess was the 1930's, but then Mussolini was mentioned in some heavy past tense. Then I noticed the shops were selling beer, and I figured it had to at least be the 50's.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 09:14:11 pm »

Did you actually play Mafia 1?
It was far from impressive when it came to many of the mechanics, AI included. It was, in my opinion, one of the best sandbox driver/shooters of its time- which you seem to agree with, but it was NOT a shining example of awesomeness like you make it out to be. Perhaps you need to go back and play it a bit again to see for yourself, the AI is not very smart, the controls are often, how shall I say... clunky. And the the 'immersion' is FAR from great...

Just because it is 'old' doesn't make it AWERSOMEAMAZINGNESS. Heck, in ten years I bet you will be saying Mafia 2 was great, this new Mafia 3 sucks tho, bleh!
Honestly, have yopu looked at the calendar?  They pulled AI straight from freaking Driver 1, it really looks like it. Mafia 1 was one of the best things for it's time. Mafia 2, with 2010... piece of shit, comp[ared to what OMG NOT OLD got to offer.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 09:15:05 pm »

Was anyone else suprised by the Playboy pickups? It seems rather fitting in-universe, but I think they just wanted an excuse to have naked women in their game. I do wonder if those were real 1950's pin-ups...

Some other sharp-eyed observers on another forum noted that the Playboys were from the '60s.

Combined with what you just said, and I think it's pretty clear they decide historical reality could suck it, because they have boobies and sin to peddle to the player. :P

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 12:51:08 am »

Wow, mixed opinions here.

I sort of liked it, I definately loved how smooth it ran on my computer, the AI is all around pretty damn good, using flanking manuevers and trying different strategies each time, but in some areas a little buggy. I managed to hide from them by standing behind a bush. >.>

The gunplay is quite good, but I'm not liking how bodies just disentegrate in front of you and you don't actually see any gunshot wounds unless the person you're shooting is really close. Probably just part of the reason why it runs so smoothly.

It seems quite polished, I'll definately check it out, and if they add multiplayer... : D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5