Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Static Fortresses/Colonies  (Read 959 times)

CapnKorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Static Fortresses/Colonies
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:57:23 pm »

I was thinking last night as I visited a various towns in my happy, happy world. Towns and fortresses/retreats are static, unchanging things in the world until you interact with them.

So, instead of abandoning your sweet ass, 1000 year old dwarf mountain stronghold, you can "retire" it for a bit, much like what you do if you're tired (or crippled said adventurer) of your current adventurer.

And any changes to your fortress would be updated upon re-entry of your fortress. IE, things stolen, guards/people killed, traps triggered.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Static Fortresses/Colonies
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:37:11 pm »

This is what toady is hoping for but it's difficult to program.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

CapnKorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 01:25:17 am »

Shame on me for trying to help.

Yes.

Very good.

Thank you.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:06:33 am »

Although I'd hate to interrupt your revelling in your victimhood, if you actually want to help any, you could try going through some of those threads, especially the ones that talk about WHY it is difficult to achieve these things, and actually try to come up with some solutions to the programming problems, rather than attacking the people who have pointed out that there are problems. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

CapnKorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:45:23 pm »

Although I'd hate to interrupt your revelling in your victimhood, if you actually want to help any, you could try going through some of those threads, especially the ones that talk about WHY it is difficult to achieve these things, and actually try to come up with some solutions to the programming problems, rather than attacking the people who have pointed out that there are problems.

Pardon me for interrupting your righteous fury.

But...

I HAVE CHORTLES!

I attacked no one.

And yes I know that programming is hard. I took a semester of it and still had to refer back to the book for making a calculator.

Sifting through millions of pages of junk is not my late night cup'a tea.

So, my mistake, I'll search a couple times before I make another post.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 02:54:50 pm »

Pardon me for interrupting your righteous fury.

But...

I HAVE CHORTLES!

I attacked no one.

And yes I know that programming is hard. I took a semester of it and still had to refer back to the book for making a calculator.

Sifting through millions of pages of junk is not my late night cup'a tea.

So, my mistake, I'll search a couple times before I make another post.

They're trying to steer you towards thread that already discussed this.
And suggestion that try using the search function is particularly helpful.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 04:54:37 pm »

Well as this is the most recent one I think I can see how a computer gened fort can funtion: quite simple with rooms that contain workshops and basic chop tree settings.
It would be based on stockpiles.
When a stockpiles has a large amout of space left it will order a workshop to start producing goods. If a workshop needs raw materials it will try to find another workshop capable of making those or assign the labour to a dwarf. This would probably work for everything except mining. These forts would not be expending but would at the very least stay in a simmulair state.
so basically lets say we have one completly empty booze stockpile 1 farming area, 1 kitchen area and one forest. A player can inmidetly see what is needed but the dwarfs might have more problems so what will happen:
1 Every so many frames a check is preformed to determine how full the stockpiles are.
2 AI notices 25 emtpy places in stockpile.
3 AI decides to make 25 brew drink commands.
4 AI checks what 25 brew drink commands need.
5 AI notices needs 25 barels.
6 AI decides to make 25 barels.
7 AI notices need 25 wood for 25 barrels.
8 AI order to cut down 25 trees.
9 dwarfs path to trees.
10 AI notices: needs brewable plants.
11 AI decides: make brewable plants.
12 AI orders: make farm produce brewable plants
13 dwarfs path to farms
14 dwarfs cut down trees and produce plump helmets
15 AI order 25 wooden barrels
16 dwarfs path and make 25 wooden barrels
17 Everyone waits for the harvest
18 AI orders: brew 25 drinks
19 All dwarfs go and take a much deserved drink.

All order can be given like they were given by the manager and this seems like a doable AI. It's not really that smart only a simple script.
Now we only need to assign labours to dwarfs I was thinking about this:the AI picks the highest skilled dwarf with no labour for this. This order is done every time a job is given.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 07:09:58 pm »

Why even bother with that? Just have the game offload the names of dwarves and animals in the fort, and possibly the locations of items, and then, when adventurers come, randomly place the dwarves and animals the same way they're placed randomly in adventure mode forts.

All this would take is a reduction of a player's fort to site data, which would then act in exactly the same way as a generic mountainhome created in legends mode.

Given how Toady plans to make the processes that govern the automation of both mountainhomes and retired fortresses the same at some point, surely a simple info-dump would be required as part of that process and therefore not considered a half-baked implementation.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:12:03 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 02:26:07 pm »

Well you can do this for added realism I mean you could wonder why you would want to make the legends but that doesn't mean we all want it to be removed.