Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone ever made a fortress that takes its look from the prefab forts?  (Read 3315 times)

Gavinfoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I know the prefab fortresses TOTALLY SUCK, and the 'computer' is not playing the same game that dwarf fortress mode is...

...BUT...

has anyone ever made a WORKING fortress that takes the basic 'look' and some of the basic layout concepts from those prefab dwarf forts that you find in adventure mode? With some modifications, of course, but having a good, quality fortress that takes as much inspiration from the prefab forts as possible? Is this a worthwhile goal?  If so, has anyone posted screenshots of this sort of fort?

anotherthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever made a fortress that takes its look from the prefab forts?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:32:24 am »

That's a good question. It seems to me the human towns are fairly functional, but the dwarven cities really don't seem to be. I can't see how the fortresses in Adventure Mode would survive a siege or a FB/Collosus showing up. All they need to do is walk in the top.

I just kind of wonder if that's how Toady makes his fortresses.

Gavinfoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 07:13:18 am »

What about putting the entrance at the end of one of those long halls?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:09:02 am »

I once saw fort which was just big hole in the ground with staircases at all sides. No roof. I lolled so hard.  :P

Some forts I've seen have been ok, though difficult but possible and I have been thinking of building one.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:40:14 am »

I took fort ideas from human forts. Each house is a hole in the ground with a hatch on it. there's a perimeter wall and some above ground stockpile buildings. Works quite well.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 08:55:02 am »

Once one of the forts actually connected to the caverns. Its reasonable to belive that the forts are intended to be more complicated and complex, but worldgen keeps on screwing them over. If you embark on one of these and dig through the wall, there will be more smooth stone past the initial layer visible in adventure mode.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Gavinfoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:21:35 am »

So has anyone ever managed to figure out how a nice/complete version of these pregen forts is SUPPOSED to look, fully?  And posted that online anywhere??

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:02:22 pm »

These generated dorf fortresses are mother of all placeholders... complete crap in current version.

It would be nice to lift concept of "massive single player game" from Spore and use uploaded player forts as basis for computer generated fortresses. Just mark "I agree" and after abandoning program will send basic layout (it will be in kilobytes, not tens of megabytes) to server.

GildedBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:28:31 pm »

I've considered it, but never actually done it. I figure that the entrance pit should be fortified.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 07:18:05 pm »

These generated dorf fortresses are mother of all placeholders... complete crap in current version.

It would be nice to lift concept of "massive single player game" from Spore and use uploaded player forts as basis for computer generated fortresses. Just mark "I agree" and after abandoning program will send basic layout (it will be in kilobytes, not tens of megabytes) to server.

i dont want to have penis shaped megaconstructions above an entrance... and as the internet works this will come
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 04:34:20 am »

i dont want to have penis shaped megaconstructions above an entrance... and as the internet works this will come
Dowloading data from net for generated fortresses would be obviously optional. If you want non-boring computer fortresses in adventure mode, you gotta take some risk. ;)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 04:55:21 am »

Dowloading data from net for generated fortresses would be obviously optional. If you want non-boring computer fortresses in adventure mode, you gotta take some risk. ;)

Well in spore you can make this in minutes in dwarf fortress you will need hours to set this up. And appointing one or more mods will make wipping them out a quick procces.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 08:46:26 am »

the problem is, as soon something can be shared, "funny" guys will invest days if needed to upload such things. just for the giggles
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 09:23:25 am »

That, and modded materials/items/etc would cause a ton of trouble. Unless the those were sent with the fortress, which could casue even more trouble. The penis fortress could be made of elf flesh blocks! (that mod exists)

Or just crash. Just wouldnt work I guess, DF is too complex for this stuff. The fortress layout wouldnt match up with the terrain, it might not be a fortress at all, it could collapse or just be flooded with magma. Best we could probabaly do is to have the community make a whole bunch of fortresses specialy intended as prefabs. Or Toady could eventualy get around to making them.

The idea of embarking on some random persons abandoned fortress sounds fun though, you could eventualy get fortresses used by dozens of players.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Gavinfoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 12:21:09 pm »

Guys, what about my original question??
Pages: [1] 2