Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone ever made a fortress that takes its look from the prefab forts?  (Read 3312 times)

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever made a fortress that takes its look from the prefab forts?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 12:41:57 pm »

Answers to some comments:

1. Mods? Why anyone would care for mods? Exported image contains only layout of fortress. If furniture/constructions/workshops/etc are hardcoded, then it safely can be added as additional data. If we really need mod-awareness (say Toady will move every workshop to raws), we easily can ensure that only vanilia forts get exported. Or export only things that exists in vanilia.

2. Terrain problems. Oh yes, it would be biggest challenge. I think it can be dealt with (at least most of time):
  • Sometimes outright pasting layout will just work, especially if player designed fort to be multi-playable. Obviously, pasting would be at least somewhat intelligent: fort that goes into side of mountain would be pasted into side of new mountain. Flat grassland? Get these forts that was built on plains or have layout that conform to plane (like hole straight down)...
  • Modifying layout to prevent caveins and similiar when fortress would be pasted into new terrain.
  • Cheating a little after layout paste and relocating various elements of terrain to cover exposed corridors and the like.
Looks like fun programmer challenge. Yes, after this we will have plethora of fortresses with completely non-functional magmaworks, dry water channels, half-flooded forts (what do you mean it is aquifer??) etc. But it is still infinitiely better than prefab fortresses.

3. Poisioning the well: it would be hard, if most players would share their fortresses, to get DickFortress (low probablility = acceptable risk). This of course assumes that almost all players would not engage in fun activity of building said DickFortress. If trolls (internet variant, not in-game) would start to be too big problem, one can deal with it in various ways, like accounts, limiting uploads to one for day, voting system etc.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 12:42:03 pm »

Guys, what about my original question??

Did not.

About upload fortresses: that's an excellent idea. Custom materials/creatures can be simply suppressed. And about dick fortresses...
1) A vote system: if a fortress is downvoted too much, removal.
2) Do you really think spore and DF have the same playerbase?
3) What's so bad about horrific elf flesh fortified dongs anyway?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Gavinfoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »

If any of you guys like the idea of "taking as much of the original designs as is feasible, and making that the theme of your fortress, of course changing for defense and stuff", I would LOVE to see some posted images or uploads (like to that webpage that lets you scroll around the entire map) of that...

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 01:56:07 pm »

A) I have yet to see genuine trolls on here. Spore is simple: click and drag. But with Dwarf Fortress... I see a very low possibility of penis megaconstructions.

B) If there is a penis... it likely pisses magma onto invading armies. Which is AWESOME. Like a giant ass that shoots goblins (saw that somewhere on here)

C) I love the entrance layout of prefab fortresses. Boring forts, but for some reason I really enjoy the giant pit-entrances. However, I'm very fond of the 2D dwarf fort, so I just can't stop loving the 'dig straight into the mountain' entrance either.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 02:03:43 pm »

I never play Adventure Mode and so out of curiosity backed up, abandoned and visited the three Dwarven Halls in my world.

Yep, vast holes ringed with stairs that lead to an empty floor. In the middle, a double ramp shaft that descends a few levels.

I might gen a world or two more to see if there's ever any variation but regardless I'm getting kind of giggly thinking about building one of these, or embarking on one, and converting it to use. In my mind's eye I see passageways branching off, all over, on many levels. For defence maybe a colossal retracting bridge over the hole. Or maybe just traps galore in all of the hundreds of entrances...
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 05:12:43 pm »

Here's a fort from 40d.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 06:03:52 pm »

wierd, i usually get the pair of ramps in the middle and the same room designs centered around it roughly in a fractal cross.  i've never seen it off-center like that.

of course, i havent explored too many.  theyre sort of boring.

a couple times, i got one with a tunnel connected at the bottom.  that was pretty cool.

Gavinfoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 11:44:35 pm »

Huh, that's interesting... so how would one make a fortress actually inspired by this, and have it be workable and defensible and productive? What can be done, hmmm...

Anyone have a good seed with a great, extensive example of some of the pregen forts, which are very very easy to explore with an adventurer, or easy to extract with some program?

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 01:56:30 am »

Never bothered to copy them, as they're not much of anything right now- and the forest retreats are actually nothing. I do look to them (and the other civs' buildings) for a good idea of scale, as most of my forts end up being very claustrophobic and bunched up in comparison.  The NPC Dwarf forts are real nightmares to explore in adventure mode.  Trying to find a dwarf king to get a quest from is a hundred times tougher than the quest itself.  All the rooms and levels look the same and the dwarves move around randomly. 

But, yeah, they're just place holders. 

I always thought the community should come up with and submit designs for civs' buildings.  Not as mods exactly (it's too hardcoded), but as an idea library for Toady to look at when he gets around to that stuff.  Obviously we can't help out with the programming, but when it comes to making cool forts- well that's the game we play right?  It's not that important with only a few vanilla races, but, in the future, the entities and maybe even races will be more randomized.  Clearly the sites can't be completely randomized, and there will have to be a stock of architecture for the game to draw from and plop down.  I could see each human entity having a distinct set of buildings, some living in wood boxes, some making minarets, some living in pyramids, or glass-domes on the coastline, or whatever.

Then people could show off and vote on their on favorites, and the crappy designs or dick-jokes would just be ignored.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 03:00:20 am »

I always thought the community should come up with and submit designs for civs' buildings.

Architecture for the new Town sites.  8)
Pages: 1 [2]