Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding to Clean. Or, Possibly, Explode.  (Read 1689 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding to Clean. Or, Possibly, Explode.
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:13:09 am »

So, fortress with a lot of above-ground traffic; at this point I have something like six types of blood, blus GCS venom, forming a river over a solid chunk of the surface of my map, with a lot getting inside, too.

I was wondering if it would be possible to mod the RAWs of said bloods previous owners' species, to make their blood boil at room temperature- or a lot below, actually, as this is a glacial map. Is this possible, how would I do it if it is, and what would be the effect of what must by now be hundreds of gallons of blood and venom exploding inside and outside my fortress?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding to Clean. Or, Possibly, Explode.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:49:05 am »

Couldn't you just use that utility that goes with DFHack? The one that cleans the map of all blood? I'm not used to DFHack myself, though. Have no real idea of how well it works.  :)
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:04:56 am »

well, the problem of this is, their blood boils while still inside the creature...

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:39:27 am »

well, the problem of this is, their blood boils while still inside the creature...

Does it? I was wondering about that. If so, there go my plans for bomb-creatures that explode in a cloud of necrotic gas if you touch them.

Still, not that big a problem to me. 90% of the blood comes from creatures I've already driven to extinction on this map. Sure, if I don't switch back when everything is clean then the next round of elven traders will explode within a tile or two of the border, but who cares.

So... what would I need to do to make this happen, and *would* there be any negative effects to boiling blood while my dwarves are wading through it? Explosions toss them around, knock them out like cave ins, anything like that?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:40:12 am »

That's a problem how, exactly?
くコ:彡

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:05:02 pm »

in most cases that kills the creature as blood is separate from the creature itself while being inside it

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:16:27 pm »

in most cases that kills the creature as blood is separate from the creature itself while being inside it
I've had said creatures not be affected by it until they ar cut, then they blow up quite amusingly, so yet again, what's the problem?
Nom nom nom

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 07:46:52 pm »

Related question bump: what would happen if I set the nervous tissue material to boil at 0 degrees C?
くコ:彡

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 06:29:34 am »

They'd all get brain freezes.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 07:05:06 am »

Does it? I was wondering about that. If so, there go my plans for bomb-creatures that explode in a cloud of necrotic gas if you touch them.
Read the Beholder creature from the Genesis mod, it contains a nasty gas inside it.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Kent Able

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 02:19:27 am »

After a bit of experimentation, I've found that setting [BOILING_POINT:9910] in material_template_default.txt will make blood reliably change to a gaseous state without damaging the host creature. Technically anything below normal temperature and above the cold damage point will have this effect. You'll get messages about being caught in a cloud of blood but there will be no damage and no stains resulting from wounds. Depending on your climate zone, blood spatter will also eventually evaporate away. The Blood God's hired some new help and they's damn efficient. :o