Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Dwarves aren't chopping trees?  (Read 2617 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
My Dwarves aren't chopping trees?
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »

Okay, so I'm just starting to get the hang of this game (though I'm still having some troubles) and I've figured out how to make beds and barrels and stuff like that.

However, I ran out of wood recently, so I designated a large area of forest as "Chop Down Trees", made sure a whole bunch of my guys could perform tasks involving wood (I'm not exactly sure which one covers tree chopping), and even designated a new wood stockpile. But my dwarves won't chop down the trees for some reason. Is there something I'm forgetting to do?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Dwarves aren't chopping trees?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:34:23 pm »

Woodcutting labor and spare axes?

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »

Axes might be the problem, though I'm fairly sure I've had other trees chopped before. I'll look into it.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:05:53 pm »

If you want to expediate the proccess make sure only woodcutting is selected on your woodcutters.

Also make sure that none of your military is using the axes, because it can only be assigned to either woodcutting or a soldier, not both AFAIK.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:59:26 am »

Speaking of soldiers, I still haven't figured out how to order an animal to be attacked. There are a bunch of stray cats wandering around my fortress like they own the damn place.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:54:54 am »

Once you've got a squad, select the (s)quad menu, the squad you want to use, then give them a (k)ill order. Tamed animals can't be killed, only butchered. If they've already got an owner, then I think the owner has to be dead before they can be butchered.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 02:09:04 am »

You mean slaughtered. Butchering is when your butcher brings a dead animal to his workshop, and takes it to parts. Slaughtering is when he kills a live animal (which is immediately butchered to parts BTW). But yeah, basically that's it. You can't order your soldiers to kill tame animals.

There is one thing I don't know though: can you assign a pet for pitting that has an owner?

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 02:19:30 am »

Thanks. I think I have a squad already... Might have to make one.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 06:12:41 am »

I had this exact same problem and it turned out that the issue was that I'd formed a miltia and allowed the dwarves to select their own weapons, so a couple of them had locked onto my only two battle axes.  As soon as I disbanded the militia the wood cutters started felling trees again.
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 06:21:02 am »

It's not a bad idea to have a bunch of spare axes around anyway, for those times when you want 25 drones to go grab a ton of wood.  It's a little wonky but wooden training axes cut trees just fine (pretend they've got stone heads if it bothers you).