Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Missing: One Ice Island  (Read 5710 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing: One Ice Island
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 04:28:37 am »

If we somehow all do end up on some remote island somewhere, dibs on the rotting pig head. And I always get the conch.

Bull.  I've already got the conch, because we need some order around here.  Now hand over those glasses before I dash your brains out.

On Topic, which is to say, Off Topic, I was honestly hoping that an argument about global warming would start from the beginning, because it's always a pertinent subject to hash out, and it's oh so much fun watching the denial-side of the argument lose their tiny little minds.  But planning our greatness on either a giant icecube or God-forsaken island is entertainment everyone can get behind.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 04:42:43 am »

Hell, my aunt already owns an island.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 02:43:37 pm »

Wait. Where? How big? Big enough to build a big ass tower made of dug up stone on?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 02:46:25 pm »

Go and constantly kiss up to your aunt untill you are certain the island will be left to you. Right now. We must make DF a reality.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 03:22:32 pm »

We are going to make the best country ever.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2010, 05:21:19 pm »

I evisage a small group of corpses huddled around a 30cm high pile of rocks gathered from the local underbrush (with a plaque made of lined A4 paper ripped from a diary saying "To Toady". the corpses all showing signs of having wrestled each other to death owing to a disagreement on either who decided that engraving with your bare hands isn't hard, or a disagreement on US politics.

So yeah... best country ever!
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2010, 03:56:28 am »

Dibs on the ministry of mad SCIENCE.
Also, buying an island is for the rich and spoiled, what we need to do is make our own, find an active volcano, pump magma into orbital cannons and shoot it into the sea, carving a great island of obsidian in the image of a big toad.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2010, 04:10:54 am »

Dibs on the ministry of mad SCIENCE.
Also, buying an island is for the rich and spoiled, what we need to do is make our own, find an active volcano, pump magma into orbital cannons and shoot it into the sea, carving a great island of obsidian in the image of a big toad.

I'm up for making our own. Although this also tempts me.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2010, 05:36:25 am »

Of course, we will need to build the OMC first, but using the design you linked it should not be a problem, it would float, be big and it would shoot magma on command, i can allready see it, glowing orbs spotted on the coastline, impending alien invasion?
Then we appear with our magnificient floating magma orbs and demand a and adamantium statue for our island, or else!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2010, 06:09:31 am »

On Topic, which is to say, Off Topic, I was honestly hoping that an argument about global warming would start from the beginning, because it's always a pertinent subject to hash out, and it's oh so much fun watching the denial-side of the argument lose their tiny little minds.
I'd be willing to, uh, discuss this topic, for our mutual entertainment and my own enlightement.
I feel like I need to get a clear view of what my actual opinion regarding this subject is.
I suppose I should assume the "denier's" position, for the sake of argument. But I need to know what am I going to deny first - so, what's the current definition of the global warming?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2010, 06:11:51 am »

so, what's the current definition of the global warming?

The planet is, on average, getting hotter. Not sure what other definition would make sense.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2010, 06:22:04 am »

so, what's the current definition of the global warming?

The planet is, on average, getting hotter. Not sure what other definition would make sense.
Hmmm. There's not much to deny here. Unless one wants to deny the viability of scientific data.
I thought that the term "global warming" carried a somewhat more specific meaning these days, i.e. "human activities are causing the average global temperature to rise". Or something of this kind.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2010, 06:25:11 am »

Hmmm. There's not much to deny here. Unless one wants to deny the viability of scientific data.
I thought that the term "global warming" carried a somewhat more specific meaning these days, i.e. "human activities are causing the average global temperature to rise". Or something of this kind.

Maybe that's what some people want to argue about. Personally I don't see how it matters. If it's getting hotter naturally or because of us it's still getting hotter, and if it keeps on this way we will have problems.

Maybe the definition should be the planet is getting hotter and will reach, in the short term, a temperature that could threaten the lives of the majority of the people living on it.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2010, 06:28:37 am »

Maybe the definition should be the planet is getting hotter and will reach, in the short term, a temperature that could threaten the lives of the majority of the people living on it.

There is a certain temperature it may reach at which point we will all be, not to put too fine a point on it, fucked. The prevailing worry is that once we pass the threshold (I forget the exact temperature and carbon content level), the permafrost in regions like Siberia will melt, releasing tons of trapped carbon dioxide that has lain dormant under the earth with all that peat for millions of years. This is the tipping point. Once the permafrost melts, humanity is boned.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010, 06:40:55 am »

But what do you mean by "fucked"? Losing Holland and having to get our hookers and crack from elsewhere might be a serious blow to mankind, but we should recover.

If you mean the runaway warming effect - i.e. turning the planet into another Venus - then I'd be very sceptical. It's not like Earth hasn't underwent warming periods before. We're still living in an Ice Age after all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7