Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Management of the fortress: How to do it without Dwarf Therapist?  (Read 3569 times)

Taissu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Now that therapist is history ..for now..

How can I keep things under control without therapist?

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Management of the fortress: How to do it without Dwarf Therapist?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 03:46:06 pm »

Well, people will still update certain files of DF to keep it running.

In reality DF is extremely hard to manage without it, simply because if you want to have a fortress with more then 50 dwarfs, you will have to start remembering all your dwarfs names and what the do.. basically do everything manually.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:48:22 pm »

Man, you give up quick...  DT isn't dead.  chmod just got sick of all the people not having the patience or clue to wait or follow the instructions he gave for computing the offsets for new DF versions.  It still works beautifully.  Until there's a major change in dwarf psychology, it will continue to work for some time.  I've even heard rumblings about someone taking over the reigns officially.

Don't bury the patient, House hasn't seen him, yet.  :)

If you're dead set on not using DT anymore, I strongly suggest a pen and notepad.  Maybe post-its (but then you have to move them around the screen to follow your dwarfs).
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:12:36 pm »

I usually just rename dwarves' profession to what I'm having them do. Migrants are labeled "migrant" and have all their non-hauling labors turned off until I figure out what to do with them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

terminal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:19:26 pm »

Man, you give up quick...  DT isn't dead.  chmod just got sick of all the people not having the patience or clue to wait or follow the instructions he gave for computing the offsets for new DF versions.  It still works beautifully.  Until there's a major change in dwarf psychology, it will continue to work for some time.  I've even heard rumblings about someone taking over the reigns officially.

If you're dead set on not using DT anymore, I strongly suggest a pen and notepad.  Maybe post-its (but then you have to move them around the screen to follow your dwarfs).

Given that a huge chunk of the DF community are programmers I am sure that someone will take up DT.  At least until someone makes something better.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:22:22 am »

Assign jobs to dwarves when they arrive to your fortress and don't change them anymore, unless absolutely necessary.

I've never used Dwarf Therapist before and I've played in fortresses with 80 or more dwarves. One thing I tend to do is check idlers periodically, see what their jobs are and reset as necessary.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:36:08 am »

I never use therapist, and opt instead to plan dwarf labours with a 'set once, never again' philosophy, which works surprisingly well.

A bit of creative profession naming goes a long way, too.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 11:46:05 am »

Oh, hi.
I'm sure somebody's working on a replacement.
Until that time, DT still works fine provided the offsets.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 12:58:30 pm »

Oh, hi.
I'm sure somebody's working on a replacement.
Until that time, DT still works fine provided the offsets.

No replacement needed.  Just a new maintainer.  Of course, given the stereotypical cowboy coder ego, it'll be a complete rewrite to make it "right"...  ;)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:42:01 pm »

As others have said, the best way I have come across so far is to assign migrants as they arrive.  Once assigned leave them be.  Do that for enough fortresses and you'll get a vague idea how many dorfs you have doing what.

If some emergency happens though (massive military losses, miners crushed under mountain, etc.) I look through the no job guys bottom of the list to the top and examine them for the stats I want for the position.  If it's just job replacement I just find some random Urist whose labors are set to something I know I have more than enough of (often mechanics, farmers, or gem workers) and reassign their labors.

Replacing military, I just find the idler with the best combat stats (regardless of profession), make sure they aren't something like master or higher in their job, and then draft them.  Afterward if I notice a slacking production from that area, I'll assign some random mechanic or jeweler to the position.  The guys I'd be hesitant to draft are good weapon or armorsmiths, but even they can't avoid Uncle Sam's call if their stats are good enough.  They just have a chance of being released from service next migrant wave.

I honestly rarely used Therapist.  Though I have used it and do see the appeal, and I don't doubt that the Therapist interface is easier to use.  It's just by the time Therapist came out I already knew the DF interface like the back of my hand. I found it easier to work with the DF interface that I already knew instead of working with the Therapist interface I was unfamiliar with.

Maybe I'm just weird.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:47:56 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 04:06:36 pm »

I do the "assign labours to every dwarf as they arrive". I also name every single dwarf I get. That way, it's easier to keep track of which dwarves are immigrants and which are already-assigned labourers.

I name dwarves after internet personalities I know from other games. For instance, most of my dwarves are labelled after players I know from the MMO Wurm online. If I make a dwarf a miner, I name him after one of them many miners I've known in wurm (Kabill, EagleF, GnOme, Mith, Antondaslayer come to mind). This also makes it much easier for me to later figure out who's who. If I see EagleF running around somewhere, I instantly recall that he's a miner.

I've never used Dwarf Therapist, what exactly did/does it do, and how is it helpful?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 10:00:49 pm »

I honestly rarely used Therapist.  Though I have used it and do see the appeal, and I don't doubt that the Therapist interface is easier to use.  It's just by the time Therapist came out I already knew the DF interface like the back of my hand. I found it easier to work with the DF interface that I already knew instead of working with the Therapist interface I was unfamiliar with.

Maybe I'm just weird.
Nope.
I've never even used Therapist, and I've had forts of 400 before (and no, it wasn't slow..  my PC absolutely crushes DF).
Never had to.  I have a few legendaries who churn out thousands of items in the workshops and the unskilled go into combat or construction/hauling as needed.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 10:43:49 pm »

my PC absolutely crushes DF

What do you do, overclock to 20 gigahertz and use liquid nitrogen for cooling?

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 10:44:20 pm »

Actually the Lazy Newb Pack has Dwarf Therapist that works with 31.12

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 12:16:30 am »

I've never used Dwarf Therapist, what exactly did/does it do, and how is it helpful?

Dwarf Therapist is an interface utility that reads and writes DF memory allowing you to quickly and easily see which dwarves have which skills, which labors are currently assigned, and some other side things that escape me at the moment.

It is significantly easier to use than DF's official interface to newer players.  Older pre DF2010 versions could manage yer military as well, although that functionality does not currently exist with the new versions.

chmod unfortunately left the project, so it is currently dev-less, although it is looking likely to be picked up by another programmer in the foreseeable future.  I think it uses DFHack memory.xml, so if it doesn't work with a version you can probably take the memory.xml from any other DFHack based program that works with the version of DF yer playing and plug it into therapist to get it working, but I'm not 100% sure I'm correct on that.

The main thread is here -> http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39229.0
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:19:26 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: [1] 2