Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Expedition Roguelike  (Read 48024 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition Roguelike
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2010, 01:33:10 am »

Maybe i should get the RC2 the RC1 is too bugy to me (can't buy anything 'cause cant enter numbers in the case ... maybe french laptop keybord doesn't help)
do anyone know how to get it?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2010, 03:08:45 pm »

There weren't even any European bases in the Americas until the 1510s, two decades after their discovery by Columbus.
Apparently I messed up the research. There were "settlements" (a 100 man colony we see in the game probably qualifies) in mid-1490s, and Columbus himself founded several.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2010, 03:55:23 pm »

nonetheless, I'll let explorers "name" islands and lands, claiming them for the crown :)

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2010, 02:43:07 pm »

RC3 of expedition is coming, full of features! check out the roadmap: http://slashie.net/mantis/roadmap_page.php?project_id=9

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2010, 07:51:38 pm »

Hi bay12'ers, I plan to release v0.1.8 for the ARRP (Annual Roguelike Release Party), to take place over September 19th (2 days!). I will release RC3 tomorrow (comes with two major additions, trading with the natives and better ui for item selection) your help on testing it will be very much appreciated!

Latest development news: http://slashware.net/blog/?p=1079

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2010, 08:22:00 pm »

Oh, most definitely. There weren't even any European bases in the Americas until the 1510s, two decades after their discovery by Columbus.

There is a growing movement of historians that suggest that this was because the americas were uncolonizeable before that time.  there is evidence that suggests it was one of the most densely populated parts of the globe at the time, and it was impossible for european colonial efforts to establish a beachhead until old-world diseases wiped out 90% of the indigenous population.

Take a look at a book called "1491".  or at least read the digest version available on wikipedia.

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2010, 09:49:11 pm »

Hello All!

Just in time for the ARRP, here comes the first public RC of Expedition v0.1.8. Thanks to all the playtesters who have been helping and providing new cool ideas!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK0rnyZ5f6A
Pics: http://slashware.net/blog/

Lots of things have been developed from the last public version (v0.1.7), I'm currently working on polishing the "trading" functionalities.

Download here: http://slashie.net/page.php?27

Hope to hear your comments!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2010, 09:56:47 pm »

Quite good, the graphics and the music fit each other well
Hello Hunam

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2010, 10:24:23 pm »

Playing it, pretty fun so far.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2010, 10:26:36 pm »

Tried it, I have concluded it is totally impossible to bring the minimum amount of colonists to the new world without encountering starvation, so if you want to colonize it first trip you'll be biting into your sailors.
Hello Hunam

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2010, 06:39:34 am »

What is Expedition
Expedition is a roguelike game of exploration and massive combats.

In the game you, a Spanish explorer from the end of the XVth Century, have to stock up an expedition to the New World, travel there, and found colonies in the name of the crown. In your quest, you will find marvelous places and face hostile natives through the New World, in order to obtain their riches for your kingdom.
sounds a lot like Seven Cities of Gold.

Not that this is a bad thing, mind you. I loved SCoG
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:44:45 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2010, 06:50:07 am »

Oh, indeed, 7cog is one of the main sources of inspiration... it's not a clone however, as you can see when you play it :)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2010, 02:27:52 pm »

Sooooo..... after building farms, mills, houses, lumber camps and whatnot... will my settlements actually ever produce stuff? its kinda hard to survive if not...

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2010, 04:21:37 pm »

Sooooo..... after building farms, mills, houses, lumber camps and whatnot... will my settlements actually ever produce stuff? its kinda hard to survive if not...

Well... surviving is the main challenge of the game... I'm still debating inside my head whether or not to make it easier to the player to obtain supplies, (you *can* survive, I just proved it by going back to Spain, it was fun :P)

For now, all buildings other than houses are just aesthetical

What I'm thinking now: You can survive on land semi-easily by auto-foraging food while walking, but you can't do that on the sea... that may make it less frightening to explore the new world. It will also make the game much much easier

Also, announcement of the latest RC:

Download RC4 here:  http://slashie.net/request.php?77

What's new from RC3?

* Town making has been redone, now you create buildings and can inhabit the town (which means you don't have to take care of all of your people food, they take care of themselves, yay!)
    * Fray Dominico Marcus has been added, you can get some important tips on how to play the game from him.
    * The Alcazar has been redone too
    * Forage for fruits and Fish (But only if you are really desperate)

What I would be looking forward now from you is:

* General playtesting, bashing it without mercy for bugs
    * Playability and viability: Can you create a colony and go back into Europe? Can you do a second trip and build yet more colonies?
    * Enhancements for the texts and dialogues are very welcome!
    * A music tune for battling against the natives
    * Request for Enhancement (for new features) are open as usual

Some gameplay videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VNweJWIW6E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buUKJNsc_yg

Your help on this final phase is very much appreciated, thank you!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2010, 11:23:20 am »

Well... surviving is the main challenge of the game... I'm still debating inside my head whether or not to make it easier to the player to obtain supplies, (you *can* survive, I just proved it by going back to Spain, it was fun :P)
Well, I usually manage to get 2 colonies up before something goes pear shaped... but still, once a player builds farms and stuff, I'd guess they'd expect some food output. I dont think its only me :D (A quick and dirty solution would be to make farms increase the forage chance and amount on the tile with the settlement)

Not sure, but to me it sounds logical that you'd try to build a bridgehead in the new worlds and NOT go back and forth to europe to get stuff.

And, I even have a suggestion: can we have a wind indicator around the ship? just a simple line or something? I find it very tedious to move my eyes back and forth between the center of the screen, watching for storms, and the right side, looking for wind info. Maybe toggleable, if some players dont like it?

Also, I always found it a bad idea to have the transfer screen use the space bar for different things: space is used to confirm a selection, but also to leave the screen... one of those actions should probably use "enter", but tbh, I never have the need to actually confirm AGAIN with space after I entered a numerical value, which already gets confirmed with enter/return.

Just a thought.

edit:
btw, havent found any bugs so far, just a typo/grammar thing... When you build stuff and it takes longer than you have food, it says somehting along the lines of "You will RAN out of SUPPLIED before..."

It should be "you will RUN out of SUPPLIES...."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:26:50 am by Puck »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16