Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Expedition Roguelike  (Read 48027 times)

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition Roguelike
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2010, 03:48:40 pm »

What about buying garlic or holy flame, or a throwing weapon?

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2010, 08:21:34 pm »

My suggestion for Expedition is to add a little more starting capital and make it so that when storms are in your sight in the game, the game will stop, cancelling all repeating actions ( go forward etc. )

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2010, 11:30:22 am »

http://slashie.net/mantis/view.php?id=1169
http://slashie.net/mantis/view.php?id=1170

Also, how many settlements have you people been able to build? has any of you been able to steal goods from the natives?

@hugna: That's pretty weird, I haven't been reported the castle to be inaccessible like this... like I said, you must probably buy some throwing weapons or items at the town. I will note about this however: http://slashie.net/mantis/view.php?id=1171

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2010, 04:50:32 pm »

There is plenty of capital in the game. What you should do, is make the "catholic monarchs" pay you for discovering the new land (that is, in addition to what they are paying you for establishing a colony). And at any rate any good way of earning money- Between needing to look for natives, and how little my guys can carry, robbing natives just isn't cost-effective.
Also, how many settlements have you people been able to build? has any of you been able to steal goods from the natives?
Personally I built 2 settlements, but that was because I got greedy and tried to do 2 at once, needless to say, by the time I did #2, there wasn't nearly enough food the get home. Haven't really dealt much with Indians in this version.

Back to provisions though, why is water so expensive, and what is it for? (the whatfor also goes for rum and sauerkraut)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »

i echo the what-for, i seem to be able to do fine with food alone.
I got nothing

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2010, 09:25:03 pm »

I don't know if such a direct reward for exploration is desired, the monarchs are more interested into establishing their flag into the new world than in gaining knowledge about new lands and mountains.

Mining and trading with the natives are on the way, I think those will help with income generation.

Also, water and rum are just cosmetic for now, sauerkraut is just expensive food for a classy crew :P 

Lots of things are planned, including encounters with wild animals, discovering new species, fishing.... those will come in time

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2010, 09:45:42 pm »

i think that sauerkraut and other fermented food can help with nutritional diseases that sailors used to get.
I got nothing

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »

Diseases! that sounds fun  ;D

http://slashie.net/mantis/view.php?id=1172

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2010, 11:20:54 pm »

Can I have a shot at the graphical version? I'd love to test and I always love to be a smartass (ie give ideas). I also am an unholy bugmagnet, for some reason or other. So if there is a bug left, I _will_ encounter it.

I even managed to make my dishwasher crash, once or twice, no kidding.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2010, 03:01:48 am »

If I remember correctly, the problem for disappearing colonies is because the colony has 0 wood, I tried building a colony on a wood-less forest and it disappeared, I tried it again on a  non wood-less forest and they established successfully

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2010, 07:03:35 am »

Um. I vaguely remember seeing this posted before, but hey: Upon saving (shift+s), the game says 'sure, I'll save your game for you' then promptly closes, and the savegame is nonexistant. I'd say thats a fairly big bug.

Edit: I had a look at the mantis bug tracker, and its right there. Ignore me. >_>

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2010, 10:00:17 am »

Can I have a shot at the graphical version? I'd love to test and I always love to be a smartass (ie give ideas). I also am an unholy bugmagnet, for some reason or other. So if there is a bug left, I _will_ encounter it.

I even managed to make my dishwasher crash, once or twice, no kidding.

That intrinsic attribute of you would be really useful, mail me and i'll send you the link,

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2010, 10:02:12 am »

If I remember correctly, the problem for disappearing colonies is because the colony has 0 wood, I tried building a colony on a wood-less forest and it disappeared, I tried it again on a  non wood-less forest and they established successfully

It seems to happen when you press space instead of escape after transfering the equipment... or so I have been told, haven't replicated it yet

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2010, 06:11:28 pm »

I don't know if such a direct reward for exploration is desired, the monarchs are more interested into establishing their flag into the new world than in gaining knowledge about new lands and mountains.
Oh, most definitely. There weren't even any European bases in the Americas until the 1510s, two decades after their discovery by Columbus. Just people (like Columbus, or Cabot) who went around "claiming" land for whichever kingdom sponsored their voyage. This was exactly what you'd call a geographic expedition: they would literally go to some land (geo) and make sketches (graphics) of it! Jokes aside, European monarchs paid, and paid well, for this sort of work.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2010, 12:53:09 am »

RC2 is now available;  this one comes more solid than RC1 yet without many fancy things on, as it's mostly a bugfixing version... Saving works now, and you should experience much less lost equipment :)

Thank you too for all the ideas you have suggested for the game, it's slowly shaping up as a great gameplay experience.

@a1s: Good point, I will look forward to include it :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16