Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: death abbey (succesion game)  (Read 5357 times)

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: death abbey (succesion game)
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 03:12:05 pm »

1st year is always the worst, nothing exciting happens.
EDIT: Also, can i be remove from this game? I have too many other succession games that i am signed up for.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 12:50:18 am »

OK then. I'm taking the 1st year. But please do tell me where do you get to another succession games. Or are they not DF ones? If they are DF succession games then please do tell. I have been searching for them on this forum but this is the only normal one I found.
Since you wanted a challenge. Here is the embark screen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So... What dwarf do you want to be? We got a male miner, female mechanic, female expedition leader, female woodworker, male doctor, male animal/food dwarf and a male swordsdwarf. I'm taking the male miner.
The 1st season passed and I'm doing good. Haven't seen any hostile animals yet. Only a fox and two deer. Perhaps those stories I have heard about the evil areas aren't true after all. Here are some sketches of the fortress.
We have a trade depot constructed early and a barracks too. The dormatory is still being worked on. The refuse piles are close to the fortress but luckily the smell gets blown away by the wind. We also got a well but I don't know who would be stupid enough to prefer water over booze.
Here are our workshops and our farm. The farm is currently being muddied. I hope the doors won't leak. Oh and on the left side I drew myself working on making some doors for the bedrooms.
This is our storage room. We store everything but seeds and refuse here. It's kinda' packed.
I just finished digging out our bedrooms and dining room so there is nothing in there yet. Luckily we do have the barracks so we won't have to sleep on the cold floor.
Autumn came. I feel no need to sketch new pictures yet as not much has changed. We did have 2 new migrants. A female metalsmith and a female metalcrafter/gem setter. (You can now choose them aswell) I also saw a few mountain goats. They are the toughest animal I've seen here yet but they are still afraid of us so they shouldn't pose a threat.
Our dormatory is complete and the cage traps are being put up.
We got 4 new workshops because of our new migrants. A jewelers, metalsmiths forge, wood furnace and a smelter. The farm is working well and producing delicious plump helmets. We did have a slight problem muddying it. No one went to pull the lever to shut off the water flow. Well I was busy mining. I can't do 2 things at once!
The storage room is getting emptier.
The bedrooms and dining room are done. The expedition leader wanted a really good room. I had to make her tables, chairs, a weapon rack, armor rack, container, cabinet and smooth her rooms floor and walls.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:50:18 am by ottottott »

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 06:37:40 am »

k i cant really take first year because im too busy atm

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 07:36:22 am »

Winter came and I'm nearing the end of my writer turn. I still haven't seen anything scary yet. I guess those stories really were lies. I saw a black bear though. Oh and we had 5 new migrants come. They are the last for this year. I was kinda' hoping for better dwarves. 2 are useless peasants who can't do anything. Then we have a dyer/miller, a fishery worker and a soaper/fisher/animal caretaker. (Yes those rolls are also open but there will be no more coming during my turn so you could aswell choose now.)
We are currently having a caravan. Such joy! I have been given a weird order though. I'm sure it's just a mistake. The cage traps are also ready and we already caught a fox.
With our new migrants another 4 new workshops got added.
The storage pile is the same old thing.
The biggest changes have come to the bottom floor. More bedrooms have been dug out and there is also a zoo for the fox we caught. I am currently smoothing the walls of the bedrooms.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 04:43:51 pm »

Psst, can I join? I guess I'm a noob. (Haven't played much, but wondering where the learning curve is.)

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 12:36:16 am »

Well... I guess cameron in is charge. But if you want to join then pick a dwarf for yourself. You can see all the open rolls from my 2 last posts. (Excluding this one.)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 03:14:05 pm »

Give me the the swordsdwarf. (I assume that he'll be in the military.)

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 04:02:03 pm »

well im distracted atm so im leaving ottottott in charge temporarly.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2010, 01:01:39 am »

Yayz! So... I'm finishing today. (I was waiting for someone to continue after me.) Oh and USEC since you didn't choose what nickname to give him I just gave him your forum name.
Well my turn of journal keeping is over and I'm passing it on to my long-term acquaintance USEC_OFFICER the swordsman. Here are some more sketches of the fortress to show my progress of the year.
The refuse stockpiles, the well that broke when the lake froze. It freezes for 2 months in the middle of winter. The barracks and the dormatory/hospital. The cage traps are all ready too.
The workshops are working and all that are needed are there. We ran out of seeds for the farm but now we have enough again.
I was ordered to dig out more stockpile room after the caravan came. Now we have plenty of stuff and the swordsdwarf got some more armor aswell!
All the bedrooms have been smoothed and the expedition leaders room has also been engraved. Me and my friend are currently engraving the dining room. It was a hell lot of work to smooth everything. It was frustrating to watch others just do nothing while we were hard at work.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0gbac900cji5occ I hope you care for the fortress as I did and I hope the save works. Please tell me if it works or not.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:13:10 am by ottottott »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2010, 07:07:06 pm »

Well, I wanted to play majesty today, but whatever. I'm fine. Loading now.

EDIT: Why does it feel so small?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:24:53 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2010, 07:56:47 pm »

Journal of USEC_OFFICER  Uzolkubuk; 21st of Granite:

It wasn't until Ott handed me control of the fortress that I realized how messed up this place was. Frankly, I'm not surprised Ott wasn't choosen to lead this expetition. It seems like he barely scratched the earth. He's a good dwarf, but I don't think he could last very long as a leader. I've asked for deeper shafts to be made. We need to find ore or magma. Defences could use some work. Some crossbowdwarfs could easily murder without setting foot in the cage traps. However, the lazy-sacks of dwarfs we have decided it would be a great time for a party. They say it's in my honour. I say that they could honour me by working, but its not getting through to them.

1st of Slate:

Gold! We've found gold! We make this into a bunch of trinkets, and the Mountainhomes will export all their coin for the stuff!

This part is hastily scrawled:

Caverns have been found underneath the shaft. So has a cave shallow. I'll need to hurry to defend the shaft. Who knows what will happen if it comes up here?

9th of Slate:

Put a hatch on the bottom of the shaft. It'll work till I think of something to do with it. I've seen some copper ore down there. Copper is a damn useful metal to have. Could make brass with it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:08:23 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2010, 05:08:23 pm »

28th of Slate:

You know that feeling you get when the population doubles?

13th of Felsite:

Zulban something or other came up to me today. Wanted to shove some dirty horse amulet in front of my face. Called it Riskskirted. Told him I didn't care what it was called as long as he got it out of my face.

14th of Galena:

Screw gold, we found platinum! We also found some tetrahedrite, nickel and more gold. Ott found them when working on "The Project". He can spend a few days mining the stuff out, but "The Project" must continue.

17th of Sandstone:

What is it with these dwarfs and bones? Sodel showed me Languagehelm, a bone cage. How he made a cage with so little bones, I'll never know. The project has also been completed today. Hopefully something will come along to test it out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:13:51 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2010, 01:13:16 am »

Oh goody! I love being a miner. I hope you will tell us what "The Project" is. But I'm not rushing you. Perhaps some pictures of the fortress?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2010, 02:34:37 pm »

I'll post some pictures of "The Project" and my renovations to the fortress. (Haven't changed much though, only the workshop layout.) "The Project" will be very helpful when the goblins come.

There are goblins, right?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2010, 05:06:21 pm »

9th of Timber:

We've struck magma! A minor 23 units underground. Now's the question of either bringing it up or making it safe to use down there. The latter seems easier to me. We also found some tin and bismuth. Bronze is easily in our grasp.

12th of Timber:

Distractions! The new smelting chambers still need to be mined and the merchants have arrived. We can only give them a few trinkets that we have on hand, but when they come next year, we shall trade them their weight in gold!

23rd of Timber:

Merchant says he wants large gems, bracelets, tanned hides, goblets, cheese, fish, wooden crowns, earrings, headwear and quivers next time they come around. This suits me fine. That way, our gold crafts will be worth even more.

27th of Moonstone:

Iteb Asenrulush has died. Someone had underestimated the magma pressure. Nothing was left. We held a memorial service in the new smelting chambers, and placed a symbolic coffin for her in a corner. Ott will be crushed. I kinda wish I knew more about her, before she died. She will be missed.

13th of Opal:

Lighter news today. Tosid and Datan have finally married. In light of the semi-recent events, they decided to forego a formal event. The magma smelter flickered to life today as well. We can finally start smelting.

3rd of Obsidian:

More great news. Zefon has given birth to a healthy baby girl. Smelting is going at full force. Everything is looking up.

Damn. One of Zefon's kids just claimed a craftsdwarf's shop. Seems to be asking for bones. Let's see how this turns out.

18th of Obsidian:

Snatchers! Protect the children!

This part is quickly scrawled. And yes, all in capitals.

DAMN IT! DAMN IT!  DAMN IT!  DAMN IT!  DAMN IT!  DAMN IT!  DAMN IT!  DAMN IT!  DAMN IT!  DAMN IT!

SOME MESSED UP GOBLIN TOOK OFF ABAN'S HEAD WITH ONE BLOW! AND THE LITTLE BASTARD GOT AWAY! ILL GET YOU, DAMN IT, IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO, YOU HEAR ME?

One of the snatchers was caught in a cage trap. I think I know what to do with him...

1st of Granite:

Aban's tomb is finished. First Iteb and now Aban. It's too much for me. I'm handing control off to the next dwarf who wants it. I guess I'll spend my time training, and thinking about Aban.

(Pictures/explainations later.)
Save: http://www.mediafire.com/?w7up760g3c86lwr (Tell me if it doesn't work.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:09:05 pm by USEC_OFFICER »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5